The end of Kodachrome...

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Kodak announced recently that they were going to stop the manufacture and discontinue the sale of this film at the end of 2009. Well, that day is now coming soon... but I still can't believe that, after 75 years, Kodachrome will be no more.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/kodak-ending-kodachrome-run-after-74-years-still-cant-get-that/

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=15359&pq-locale=en_US

I hate to be nostalgic but in my highschool years, that is how I learned photography... with a Canon AE1P and a roll of Kodachrome 64. I then upgraded to an New F1, 35mm f2, 85mm f1.8 and a 200mm F2.8 and continued to shoot with this film. At any one time, I think I had about 20 rolls of Kodachrome 64, 25 and 200 in my fridge. :D

But, with the popularity of digital cameras, it was inevitable that this would happen... and I am not immune to it since I have now switched over to digital myself after holding out until about 2 years ago. :eek: The sad part is that, until recently, the quality of the sensors - especially on point & shoots - didn't measure up to film cameras.

Even now, I find that my photos from my Canon G10 aren't nearly as sharp or crisp as those I shot with my 35mm camera, nevermind my 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 120 camera or 4x5. And, despite everything you can do in Picasa, GIMP or Photoshop, in my opinion at least, there is definitely a sharpness, depth and richness to KR64 that you still can't find today. Some would perhaps argue othewise... Well, it looks like I have another reason (excuse?) to purchase a DSLR perhaps... :crazy:

I guess all good things must come to an end... Anyone else have any stories to share about their Kodachrome experiences?

Last edited:

nobody

Newly Enlightened
I learned 35mm on a Nikkormat shooting Pan-X, Plus-X, Tri-X, Kodalith and Kodachrome 25 and 64. Kodachrome has always been The Gold Standard of correct color rendition. Excellent saturation with the greens not TOO green, reds not TOO red, and nearly imperceptible grain when projected wall size! This was the really good stuff. R.I.P. :(

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This hitting the news yesterday was very depressing. 30 or 40 years ago I used to shoot on average 5 rolls of Kodachrome 64 a week, every week. The color of those slides was outstanding. I was able to get a super deal on the film and processing at a lab connected to the university and hospital where I worked so it was cheap. When I went to a car race I used to shoot an average of 20 rolls just so I knew I'd have a lot of "keepers." I had quite a few shots framed and on the walls. I used to be very good but fell out of the hobby years ago. Don't get me started about the colors from Kodachrome 25 or I'll start weeping.

The digital stuff just doesn't do it for me. The phd cameras (push here dummy) aren't enough fun and lack the quality I'm used to. A quality digital SLR is so far out of my price range that it's laughable. So I now use a cheapo $100 digital and almost cry at the lousy color rendition. Even with software hacks the digitals are a total PITA to get to the point where I could just pick up a film SLR and rip shots off. By the time you get the light balance and color balance for where you want it you've missed half the action.

The image is nowhere near as clear and the colors just don't look anywhere near as appealing. It ain't worth it. When the weather or lighting changes you have to play with them even more because the metering isn't close to what I used to get. When you move to still life or indoor shots you have to start again from square one and program everything. And then I have to use a software package to doctor the image but it still isn't close enough to Kodachrome. It's OK I guess if you're taking snapshots of a 7 year old's birthday party but for serious work nothing will ever match or beat Kodachrome.

I admit that I'm super finicky but it just ain't anywhere close to what it used to be and I'm too old to invest in a new system. I've borrowed several different brands of digital cameras and just laugh at how bad they are compared to what I had in the 70's. A new pro level camera would cost the price of a car by the time you get enough gear to do what I used to do. The death of film photography hasn't just hurt the economy in Rochester, NY and cost jobs, it's destroyed the art I used to love. The end of Kodachrome wasn't the final nail in the coffin, it was the last shovel full of dirt on the grave. It's killed any interest I have in taking pictures anymore.

Most people are happy enough with the freakin' camera on their phone but the end of film surely means the end of an art. No way I'm going to be able to take another picture and blow it up past an 8x10 and have it look like anything but crap now. I don't think I can walk into a color exhibit at the George Eastman House now without crying.

Ah crap, the color rendition and the fine grain of 64 and even more sadly 25 are gone forever... :mecry:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Paul Simon's song "Kodachrome" really sums up how I and millions of other fans of this film technology feel about this superb product.

However much I enjoyed this film's quality, over the years, I began to use it and other types of film less and less due to the ever-increasing cost.

Although less satisfying quality-wise, I really appreciate the lower cost-per-shot that digital technology allows. Plus, I really enjoy the fact that with a small chip, you can add the ability to take hundreds of shots in one session at little cost. Rechargeable batteries add to this feeling of satisfaction.

Easily and inexpensively sharing digital photos with friends and family is another benefit I really enjoy.

Time marches on.....

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sad to see it go, but I doubt many people are using it anymore. I remember looking at some slides my Mother took when she went to London and I was happy to see she shot Kodachrome. They looked great, no fading, etc, that you would commonly see with Ektachrome, etc.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm also sad to see it go, although honestly I'm a little surprised that they held on this long. While film has a definite richness and visual texture to it, digital cameras have all but caught up and even surpassed it in terms of quality. And it's so much more satisfying to know whether you got the shot right away with a digital camera, rather than waiting for the film to come back from the lab. Plus there's the luxury of being able to shoot hundreds of photos at a time without worrying about reloading.

I put a 4gb card in my digital camcorder, and the status display told me that I could shoot up to twenty one thousand photos on that card! Compare that to worrying about whether you have a 24 or 36-shot roll of film in your camera.

And it's much easier to preserve precious photographs in digital form.

Last edited:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all my years of photography I must admit that I never shot the stuff. I always shot E6 chromes because I could home process them myself. The modern E6 is pretty stable as my slides have not visibly shifted colors after 14 years.

I have some Kodachromes from 1939, not too long after it was introduced. The slides still hold accurate colors.

Many of the non Kodachrome slides from the 60's-70's have turned magenta.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who haven't experienced it, it is so cool, looking at slides thru a slide projector with that vivid bright image posted on the side of the white wall or screen. I don't get the same effect from viewing my digital pictures on my LCD monitor.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I learned 35mm on a Nikkormat shooting Pan-X, Plus-X, Tri-X, Kodalith and Kodachrome 25 and 64. Kodachrome has always been The Gold Standard of correct color rendition. Excellent saturation with the greens not TOO green, reds not TOO red, and nearly imperceptible grain when projected wall size! This was the really good stuff. R.I.P. :(
Wow, man, that is bringing my back! I used Pan-X, Plus-X and Tri-X all during the same era along with TMax 100, 400 and 3200 and even dabbled with the infrared b&w films. Yes, you're absolutely right... the stand-out of Kodachrome for me was the saturation and the lack of grain. I've got to dig up all my slides now... maybe get them scanned...

...The digital stuff just doesn't do it for me. The phd cameras (push here dummy) aren't enough fun and lack the quality I'm used to. A quality digital SLR is so far out of my price range that it's laughable. So I now use a cheapo $100 digital and almost cry at the lousy color rendition. Even with software hacks the digitals are a total PITA to get to the point where I could just pick up a film SLR and rip shots off. By the time you get the light balance and color balance for where you want it you've missed half the action.

The image is nowhere near as clear and the colors just don't look anywhere near as appealing.... It's OK I guess if you're taking snapshots of a 7 year old's birthday party but for serious work nothing will ever match or beat Kodachrome.
I have to agree... it's funny but I brought out my film camera recently, let a co-worker use it and they thought it weighed a friggin' ton. Not only that but they were amazed that you had to set the aperture, shutter and still manually focus the thing! I can't believe that, to some degree, we've become so lazy with digital that we can't even bother with setting dials that, 20 years ago, we wouldn't have thought twice about doing. It also takes me longer to setup a digital for good pics and to ensure that exposure, white balance and focusing are what I want since I don't always know what the camera is trying to do. And don't even get me started on shutter lag! :scowl:

But, there are some good points about digital... the live view is great and ability to view image to check for focus, exposure and composition. I remember using a NPC Polaroid back on my Hasselblad to do all those things! :eek: Well, at least the megapixels are getting up there enough that even some of my pro photog friends have switched over.

The death of film photography hasn't just hurt the economy in Rochester, NY and cost jobs, it's destroyed the art I used to love. The end of Kodachrome wasn't the final nail in the coffin, it was the last shovel full of dirt on the grave. It's killed any interest I have in taking pictures anymore.

Most people are happy enough with the freakin' camera on their phone but the end of film surely means the end of an art. No way I'm going to be able to take another picture and blow it up past an 8x10 and have it look like anything but crap now. I don't think I can walk into a color exhibit at the George Eastman House now without crying.

Ah crap, the color rendition and the fine grain of 64 and even more sadly 25 are gone forever... :mecry:
I was in Rochester in summer '98 and, even then, you could see that changes were already starting to happen. I can't even imagine what's going on there now. As for photo art... there's nothing like seeing some of the Cibachrome (aka. Ilfochrome) prints from Kodachrome slides years ago... :grouphug:

I'm also sad to see it go, although honestly I'm a little surprised that they held on this long. While film has a definite richness and visual texture to it, digital cameras have all but caught up and even surpassed it in terms of quality. And it's so much more satisfying to know whether you got the shot right away with a digital camera, rather than waiting for the film to come back from the lab. Plus there's the luxury of being able to shoot hundreds of photos at a time without worrying about reloading.

I put a 4gb card in my digital camcorder, and the status display told me that I could shoot up to twenty one thousand photos on that card! Compare that to worrying about whether you have a 24 or 36-shot roll of film in your camera.

And it's much easier to preserve precious photographs in digital form.
Well, I would humbly have to disagree to some extent… SOME digital cameras have caught up but I feel it's only the DSLR's – I have had several p&s's including a Canon G9 and G10 and I'm not happy with it. I have shot some pics with a friend's EOS 40D and 5D MkII and they are great at that level… but they are so $$$$.

My concession is that you are right about the ability to hold literally hundreds or thousands of shots on one small memory card… but I shoot RAW or highest resolution to eke out as much sharpness and resolution as possible so that reduces the memory by quite a lot.

As for preserving… while saving it in digital form prevents photos from deteroiating, the problem is that it's still a hard-drive, which is still prone to corruption and failure. You can copy to CD but there is now talk that CD's / DVD's only last 7-8 years at most and they can also get damaged. Preserving photos on either media is not a permanent solution over the long-term (20+ years or more) since technology changes, CD's / DVD's will eventually fade and give way to new media storage.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is something that will help. The 2009 version of a 1959 camera the Olympus Pen

I owned one in the 60's and it was fun.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time marches on. It just got left behind and I also saw K-14 processors shrink like a prune as E-6 became far easier for labs to handle. Of course processing costs dropped way down shooting E-6. I paid like $1.25 to current $3.50 a roll. Kodachrome seemd to be double that and it was like a 7 day turn around as labs sent them out. Luckily Kodak has/had processing centers in So. Cal but still. Film still has a place with me but my supply is dwindling. I still run film through a few select cameras but it is specialized use. By far, most is digital capture.

I enjoyed the wet lab and learned lots, I miss the excitement at times watching a print develop but having had averse reactions to the chemicals, I don't miss that. Dodging burning as it exposes...shoo no...easy now to do a mask and dial in exactly what I want. B&W, way easier to again apply post digital magic and switch between variables in moments rather than try various contrast papers and exposure times. I get a similar Kodachrome-Cibachrome look using Kodak Pro Metallic Endura or Fuji Pearl.

Yes, sad time in photography to see it go. It served many well and will be looked at fondly for how nice a look it has even by today's standards.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll sum up my reaction for people who might not understand. Imagine having to ride in computer operated vehicles and driving yourself not being allowed. Then walking into a museum and seeing a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa or a 250LM that just sits there behind velvet ropes (Google those if you don't know what they are - and then imagine having to "drive" by sitting in some computer controlled cube). That's what I think of most digital cameras. The things do too much for you and make it hard to think for yourself.

Most people just want to "point & shoot" and never think of the creativity potential. That's why the market died. That's OK if you want to shoot Missy's prom pictures or little Kevin's first day at school but what if you want to actually control the camera so it gives you the image as you want it to be saved and you don't want a third mortgage so you can buy a camera that sort of lets you?

Saving to digital is OK I guess but it's not preservation and it is not like seeing an original printing from Kodachrome. Trust me on that.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm taking a bit of a contrarian view to most in this thread. It may or may not be true regarding the quality of a Kodachrome slide versus digital. Certainly the Kodachrome is better than your typical point and shoot, but with a serious digicam I'd imagine you can come close. Display technology is what really needs to catch up. We really need monitors with resolutions high enough to directly display, say, a 12 MP image. And not just for photography buffs. Such a monitor would be great in that electronic documents would appear as they do when printed. But so far these monitors are nowhere to be found at any price approaching reasonable.

One big advantage of digital being overlooked here is how accessible it's made photography. I know I never had much interest in taking pictures because it was expensive, you couldn't see the result for a week or more, and you were pretty limited in regards to number of exposures. I've probably taken under 1000 pictures in the ~20 years prior to digital, and literally tens of thousands in the 6 or 7 years after. The great thing about digital is that your prmary investment is the camera and memory card. Once those things are purchased, the pictures are essentially "free" if you use rechargeables. I still don't have a serious camera (I just borrow my mom's 2 MP point and shoot), but for most of my current needs it's just fine.

With digital you can still be creative, but it's in the post "processing" with an image editor of some sort. Granted, I agree on the annoyance of not being able to get the camera to do what I like, particularly if I want to get a decent beamshot. But I suspect this is more a limitation of the 6 year old, not so expensive camera I'm using than of digital photography. A decent camera would allow more control but for now I don't have money to invest in one.

I also take issue with the whole idea that storing digital photos isn't permanent. If your only copy of your pictures is on your hard drive then you're asking for trouble. Any data you want to keep should be stored on multiple media in multiple locations. My pictures are on hard drives in two pcs, on a dvd, and also on a usb flash drive. Because storage technologies change radically every few years, chances are good the pictures will be recopied to a new type of media long before a dvd degrades or a hard drive fails. I've already done that with documents I originally had stored on floppies. It doesn't matter if the original floppy is no longer readable. The documents were already put on CDs, then DVDs, hard drives, and in some cases my USB drive. So long as you keep multiple copies on different types of media, you will have your digital pictures long after your Kodachrome has faded.

chmsam said:
I'll sum up my reaction for people who might not understand. Imagine having to ride in computer operated vehicles and driving yourself not being allowed. Then walking into a museum and seeing a Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa or a 250LM that just sits there behind velvet ropes (Google those if you don't know what they are - and then imagine having to "drive" by sitting in some computer controlled cube). That's what I think of most digital cameras. The things do too much for you and make it hard to think for yourself.
On some occasions I do tend to agree that digicams do a bit too much, and that their automatic settings aren't always optimal for what you're trying to do. All digicams, even point and shoot, should have an "expert" mode where you can control everything. I'm not sure the analogy with cars is a good one though. People take pictures all of the time but most people will never be in a situation to drive a high-performance sports car as it was meant to be driven unless they go to a track. Between traffic and speed limits you just can't do so on public roads. And I'm sure you'll still be able to drive cars yourself on closed courses in an age when driving yourself is no longer an option on public streets. But regardless, the fact is most people couldn't care less about doing the type of driving you might do in a Ferrari, probably couldn't physically do it even if they wanted to. Instead, they want to get from point A to point B with a minimum of fuss and drama. For them, not having the option to drive themselves is a good thing, not a bad one. Creativity in photography, whether digital or film, is a good thing. Not so with driving a car on public roads. That's one place we *don't* want any individuality at all, or any variation for that matter. But we'll only get that with complete automation. Ironically, one of the reasons I've never wanted a car is exactly the need to drive it yourself. Some of us just don't want control in areas of our life which are better handled by automation. If all cars were driven by computer, I know I have a better chance of getting to my final destination in one piece, not worrying if the drivers in the cars around me are distracted talking on their phones, high on crack, too old to react quickly, whatever. And having taken human reaction times out of the equation, I can probably get there at higher legal speeds as well. Then there's the freedom to do something besides the more or less monotonous task of piloting a vehicle at the tediously slow legal speeds necessary to cater to the least common denominator of human driver.

I guess my point is that digicams allow me to just capture a picture instantly without tinkering with the nuts and bolts of exposing film. I can be spur of the moment without worrying about things going terrible wrong as they might with film. I may not get things optimal, but better to get a slightly suboptimal image of a fleeting event than a frame of blurry or badly exposed film for want of not having time to get my settings right. Moreover, I can see right then and there if I've got it right, not have to wait a few days or a week. Also, perhaps not having control over every technical aspect of picture taking actually allows one to be more creative in some ways by focusing more on the scene at hand than the mechanics of the camera.

In some ways, all this is analogous to the adoption of the GUI over the command line. True that sometimes using a command line allows you to do very precise things while a GUI can only do whatever the programmer wants it to. But what you lose in control with the GUI you gain in productivity. You point a mouse and click to do complex tasks formerly requiring many command lines. In rare cases perhaps you can't do exactly what you want, but everything has its price. I doubt anyone would suggest we go back to command lines at this point. It's getting close to that with digicams. The compromises just get fewer and fewer, making film less and less compelling.

I'm surprised Kodachrome lasted as long as it did. Moreover, I'm even more surprised film is still around. I'm guessing the biggest market are those who aren't computer literate and don't wish to become so (probably mostly the over 60 crowd). And also perhaps those who have a large investment in "analog" equipment. I'd really be surprised if film in any form is still around 20 years from now, maybe even 10 years from now. Digital has gotten so close to the better films even most professionals have switched.

One thing I'm curious about though. How come nobody has made the equivalent of digital film? I'm taking about something which could fit in a, say, a 35 mm camera, contains a sensor, flash memory, advances to the next picture with the film advance lever, exposes similar to film, etc. It would take the place of film, allowing one to continue to use any film cameras they're in love with but with the advantages of digital. There has to be a market for something like this, especially among those with thousands of dollars invested in film-based equipment.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thinking a little more here, it seems a common theme when something new replaces something old is for most to embrace it, but for a few to stress the disadvantages while ignoring the advantages. New technologies are rarely perfect out the door. Over time they evolve, eventually becoming better than what they replace. But initially they increasingly penetrate the market, despite their shortcomings, because those shortcomings are outweighed by their advantages. A great example of that are the airless bicycle tires I've been riding on since last November. After reading exhaustively all over the Internet about them, it seems you have the same two sides as you do with film versus digital cameras. One side seems to think changing flat tires is actually a vital part of the whole cycling "experience", one which any serious cyclist shouldn't shy away from. This side ignores the advantages of airless tires, harps endlessly on their failings (a slightly higher rolling resistance and in some cases a harsher ride), and trivializes what a royal PITA having a ride cut short due to a flat is. Hey, isn't a quick repair of a flat on the road supposed to be an essential skill for anyone who claims to be a cyclist is what they'll say. The other side accepts the slight speed penalty you get with airless tires (and note that some new compounds have no speed penalty but they're not available in all sizes), and the sometimes harsher ride in order to avoid the mechanics of fixing flats. I fall into the latter camp of course. My size tires aren't currently available in the newer compound so I have to endure a slight (~1 to 1.5 mph) speed loss and slightly harsher ride. But that's fine. To me changing flats was never a great part of the whole cycling experience. It's a nuisance, an annoyance, something I'm glad I'll never need to do again. I just want to ride, period. The tradeoffs I'm making are well worth it. And I imagine it's the same for those who use digicams. They don't consider adjusting exposure or aperture to be a vital part of the whole photographic experience. They just want to take pictures without tinkering with settings, and are willing to accept that their pictures may not be as perfect as they could be. In both cases it's those who accept compromises, and actually use the new product, who drive further development. Thanks to those who used those first digicams despite their short comings, we now have digicams suitable for even professional photographers. In time we'll have ones which are better than film cameras in every way. And thanks to those who adopted airless tires like me, we'll eventually have ones which ride as well as air tires, and perhaps are even faster rather than slower.

If we all just accepted what was, there would never be any progress. Right now so many things are on a steep development curve. Digicams, airless tires, LEDs, electric cars, solar panels, thermoelectric cooling/power generation, solid-state storage. All of these things I'm sure will be far better than what they replace eventually. Some are already superior in many respects. But for now I'm thankful for those willing to adopt them to move the state of the art along. And if something better comes along to replace them in the future, I won't miss them a bit.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Ah, K25 and K64 - sigh
The one that bummed me was when they stopped making Techincal Pan - I still have one very old exposed roll sitting in my freezer, if I can find some developer, I guess I should put it in the soup - anyone have a batch of Technidol or Technidol LC?

As for digital being nearly the same quality? Hah - particularly with Tech pan - I could take 3 different 50mm L series lenses, and take photos with them, and you could tell which lens - the fim was SO high resolution, you could actually see the lens flaws with a big enough blow up

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no doubt that this film is the standard bearer for photography of all kinds. I think it would have had an even longer life if they had offered a version with a higher ASA speed. Another less noticed loss has been UC400 negative film, a great high contrast film. I am still looking for a replacement (please don't say Fuji)

I actually have tried very hard to be happy with digital photography, and always came up short, but only more recently really understood why. Surprisingly, part of the challenge is that digital P+S as well as DSLRs try too hard to be fully automatic, and fail. This leads to the need for "menus" and "what kind of picture are you taking" selection. This can really take away the potential for a nice photo.

Of course I use digital sometimes, but mostly just my cell phone camera - it surprisingly is not bad for a quick shot if there is enough light.

I really don't like doctoring up every picture with post processing. Of course there are times for that, but then you have to ask why buy an expensive camera that even good photographers have to almost re-paint to look decent?

The more recent insight came when I picked up a decent photo / negative scanner. What I really had not appreciated is that even $ 1,000 DSLRs are at most 12 - 14 bit color depth, while my scanner can go to 48 bit color depth. There is just no comparison, even in everyday shots. I also don' t need to goof around with photo shop for every picure, as the colors are actually correct, or much closer.

So far, I am seeing that it takes 120 MB files sizes to store a decent 35mm film image. Pretty impressive for less than 2 sq inches of plastic.

Paying for printing pictures is expensive, either via digital prints or film, but it turns out that getting ou negatives developed, but not printed, is very cheap and fast. 48 bit scans of developed film are now pretty fast and cheap - much cheaper than a DSLR.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually have tried very hard to be happy with digital photography, and always came up short, but only more recently really understood why. Surprisingly, part of the challenge is that digital P+S as well as DSLRs try too hard to be fully automatic, and fail. This leads to the need for "menus" and "what kind of picture are you taking" selection. This can really take away the potential for a nice photo.
Agreed. The interfaces for the cameras are the bigger problem, not the sensor technology. Attempting to adjust white balance, or change exposure using a menu rather than say, a single dedicated button dial is way too time consuming when actually trying to take pictures of something moving, for example. The cameras are geared at full auto control, manual adjustments are an afterthought even on many DSLRs.

The fact is I take most of my pictures with a point-and-shoot (a Canon SD870-IS). I'm not a very series photographer, willing to carry a DSLR and set of lenses, I want something small that will be with me at all times. In order to really improve the usability of it however I had to download hacks for the software to allow me to actually implement manual control over more things, such as enabling RAW photos, such as eliminating shutter lag, and enabling real time exposure histograms etc. I believe the main reason these features were not included in the stock software because of marketing reasons (eg, it's easier to cripple a $250 point and shoot than it is to drastically improve a $2K SLR, and the company wants to keep the same relative "difference in quality" between them so they don't cannibalize sales)

It is marketing and crippleware, not the technology itself, that is the problem. I was actually recently speaking with a research professor who designs novel cameras and lens systems. Apparently he designed a camera that was able to fit in a cell phone, but with immensely higher quality optics so that a cell phone could actually take decent pics. The problem? It cost about $10. Anything more than $2 is considered hopelessly expensive to be used in a cell phone (even for a $600 unsubsidized MSRP piece of hardware like an iphone). Apparently most wouldn't be willing to pay an extra $20 on the MSRP for pics similar to a cheap full P&S camera, in their cell-phone (eg, something on their person at all times -- what I'm so big on...)

It seems I'm always in the minority on this type of stuff. For example, nobody wants to release high resolution screens for things like laptop computers because for every 1 person willing to pay significantly more to get high resolution (me) there are 10 who claim "the words are too small!" (totally unaware it's possible to adust DPI settings, naturally). I suspect a similar problem is why we wll only see manual controls on super high end cameras. Not enough people are willing to pay more for it in a P&S, and they ones who really want to, they want to get to pay 10x as much for their highest end model...

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
could this "Elite" line be what Kodak is replacing Kodachrome with?

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=9/7010/6994/1095&pq-locale=en_US

..I hear also there's an import called "Velvia 100" that is similar to the Kodachrome look. which many considered oversaturated, 'stylized' , or outright garish, depending on who you ask, evidently Simon agreed (or could it have been Garfunkle?) when he sang about kodachrome "making you believe all the world is a sunny day.."

I used Ektachrome myself, 400 most of the time, Kodachrome was just too slow..never heard about it not aging as well as Kodachrome though..
checking that out I found this:

"..Unlike any other color film, Kodachrome is purely black and white when exposed. The three primary colors that mix to form the spectrum are added in three development steps rather than built into its layers.

Because of the complexity, only Dwayne's Photo, in Parsons, Kan., still processes Kodachrome film. The lab has agreed to continue through 2010, Kodak said..."