The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

Burgess

Flashaholic
BTW --

As an addendum to my comments in Post # 317,
let me point out that I have Purchased all the
Anker products, with my own money.

I'm not one of those " paid reviewers "
who's comments may be a bit influenced.

Just sayin' . . . .
< wink >

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LOL !

Safe to say we've both been here (on CPF) long enough not to be confused for shills. ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Been awhile, and not sure if this has been mentioned before but.... Cash & Junk Precious Metals Coins.

Very important. If you're Bugging out from a localized or regional emergency, oh yeah; cash is still King. And it will continue to be. One thing you will never find a shortage of in this world are people willing to do anything for money. (I mean, is this something we even need to debate or discuss?) There will be those willing to help, but very few out of the kindness of their hearts. Cash isn't ordinarily a good lubricant, but in an emergency it does an excellent job of greasing the wheels.

Unfortunately, you also might have to resort to bribery under some circumstances. And you might be better off offering a coin made from gold or silver. Best to invest in junk silver coins. (Those that are only valuable due to their silver content only.) Also best to get coins that will be recognized where you live. For example, while they are excellent, an Australian 1oz. silver coin is going to look like play-money to many folks in America. But a 1oz. Walking Liberty coin is going to be far more recognizable.

I don't recommend investing in junk gold coins since finding a reputable source can sometimes be a nightmare. And, unless you have a lot of disposable income you're not going to accumulate a lot of gold coins. Also, be sure not to invest in any gold that comes sealed. You have no way of telling without breaking the seal if what you bought is the real thing or not. I started carrying a 1/10 of an ounce gold Canadian Maple Leaf coin in my EDC notepad. (Canada being next door, I doubt I'll have trouble finding someone wanting it if I offer it to them.) It's very small and currently sells for around $170. I keep it in a couple of very tiny zip closure bags. If I need to use it, the other person can directly hold the coin and examine it.

A handful of 1 oz. pure silver coins might just become a life-saver if things get very bad. Want to save weight in your BOB? Perhaps a handful of 1/10 of an ounce of gold coins instead. Just be very careful when dabbling in gold. Junk coins only, be sure most folks around you will recognize the design on the coin as legit, no sealed coins, and don't invest in ingots (even the tiny 1 gram ones) nor gold flake. Both are ridiculously easy to counterfeit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey guys, resurrecting this topic because of a worthwhile idea....

Surplus Ammo cans with gear or food inside, buried as re-supply points along your Bug-out route.

You should have multiple routes planned out ahead of time from where you are, to your BOL. Anything could happen to your vehicle or your gear/BOB pack. Including being robbed by others. Instead of being with nothing, one option is to bury the cans along the route you are on. Multiple cans along multiple routes. If you have three routes, then three cans full of gear. Not your best gear. But we all have secondary gear, plenty of extra gear.

Instead of letting it all lie around, why not bury it? Extra compass, MRE, knife, saw, etc. All the stuff that doesn't cost too much and isn't the absolute best you've got. Again, if you have three routes you could take, for example: Two separate ones to your primary BOL and one to your secondary BOL; take one can and place it in-between where you are and your BOL locations. Gear or pack gets lost or stolen, keep going to your re-supply point. Doesn't have to be half-way. But should be closer to where you started than your BOL.

A good option is to take a plastic trowel, and hide it in a spot near your re-supply burial spot. That way, if you did lose everything, you can still dig up your ammo can full of goodies. And if it's winter and the ground is frozen solid.... well, I never said this was a 100% fool-proof option. But if you have to bug-out during one of the three other seasons, you don't have to worry about your spot being frozen over. There's also the possibility that someone found one of your re-supply cans weeks, months, or even years after you buried it. So, not being there is another risk.

Depending on how much survival stuff you own, you could bury more cans. Have more than one re-supply spot per route. A few silica gel packets in the cans should do the trick to keep metal items from rusting. Some of the bigger Sporting chain-stores sell plastic civilian versions of old ammo cans. Not sure how well those would last, but it's an option. Also, since you'll need something to carry your re-supply gear with you if you need to access it, be sure to include a couple of contractor-grade garbage bags in the can. Walking around with a large, heavy-duty black double-lined garbage bag for the rest of your travel to your BOL won't be fun. Trying to get there with no gear at all to help you survive would be less fun.

A re-supply point would also be helpful if you've encountered someone along the way that you trust. They might be seriously lacking useful gear. That plastic spork to go with your titanium one in your BOB, yeah; they're going to need more stuff than that. Just a useful idea to consider.