The Lounge 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened
Re: The Lounge

Be safe. You're braver than me, I was supposed to leave for Paris today. We postponed out trip for various reasons, some obvious, some not.
I was already over here in EU to go to some concerts. Had came over for Foo Fighters and the hell of it. Feeling lucky I guess. My hotel in Paris is 4/10 of a mile from Le Bataclan. My GF is a huge Deftnones fan and they were playing at Le Bataclan the night after the attacks. We decided to go to Turino, Italy for a couple nights and see the Foo Fighters in Italy and were there the night the attacks happened. All the bands ended up canceling their tours in light of the events. But we decided to continue with our plans to come to Paris. All the people here have been really cool and happy to see people still coming as many have cancelled (understandably).

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must share a recent experience purchasing another light from Vinh. You veteran flashaholics know it, but this is for any new people.
I sent an email to Vinh asking, "Do you know any reason why I shouldn't buy XXXXX light from you?"
Now you all know that we wouldn't go up to a salesman, asking that question, and expect an honest answer. But I had 100% confidence that he would tell me not to buy it, if there was any reason not to.
I'm not fantasizing here, because he told me just that, for the last two lights I enquired about. He told me that those lights weren't for me.
So, I'm getting a new light for Christmas based on Vinh's recommendation! I wish I could buy everything based on personal relationships, even if they are fostered over the Internet.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must share a recent experience purchasing another light from Vinh. You veteran flashaholics know it, but this is for any new people.
I sent an email to Vinh asking, "Do you know any reason why I shouldn't buy XXXXX light from you?"
Now you all know that we wouldn't go up to a salesman, asking that question, and expect an honest answer. But I had 100% confidence that he would tell me not to buy it, if there was any reason not to.
I'm not fantasizing here, because he told me just that, for the last two lights I enquired about. He told me that those lights weren't for me.
So, I'm getting a new light for Christmas based on Vinh's recommendation! I wish I could buy everything based on personal relationships, even if they are fostered over the Internet.
This is why Vinh's reputation is second to none!

LAtraffic

Newly Enlightened

My 26 year old baby daughter just came back from Paris last month. If she had still been there, I would be a basket case!

Yes, my GF grandma was losing it. We flew out this am, woke up to sirens non stop as they were conducting a nasty raid on some of the suspected terrorists.

Vihn, if you get any orders from some police in France don't blame me lol. Turned the night to daylight in front of some officers, the police officer kept looking at my hand to see a barley visible D25cvnti poking out. Edit* was a few police the night before just hanging out.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

So im in the Market for snow tires for my Volvo c30. Because this car is more performance orientated i was thinking about the pirelli sottozero 3 or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2.

Just curious what your guys use for winter tires ?

Blacklance

Newly Enlightened

What did you buy?

lumentia

Enlightened

LOL

Think what would you want in your dream programmable driver.
For electronic switch:
Instant access to turbo with double click.
1/2 second hold down for moonlight.
Single press for low. Modes go low, med, high.
Toggle able to either have memory or not for single click turn on to low, med, and high.
3 clicks for lockout. Same to unlock.
No strobe. I'm so over strobe.
This is basically a modified thru night UI, which I really like. Just don't like mode memory, as you never know what mode it will come on in. (The light has a better memory than I do lol)
No more than 5 modes including moonlight. Modes: ML(.05 lm or less) - 1%, 10%, 50%, 100%.

Nitecore UI is pretty nice too but requires 2 buttons. I like 1 button slightly better after all.

more on a mechanical switch version later.

ven

Flashaholic

NO offense, but why does McGizmo's lights cost so much when performance is not so great?? Like what's special about it that it warrants such a high cost?

I have always wanted a gizmo and maybe one day I hopefully will. Its the package/build /design that appeals to me. Reliability and a sensible output that in real world edc type uses is more than adequate. Compared to other custom lights , one could argue it's cheap!

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

@lumentia I like your UI. A couple of questions & notes:

1. If press-hold goes to ML, would it be more similar to Zebralight or OLight? ZL goes on immediately to the press-hold level and depending on the release timing will go to H, stay in L, or cycle up to M. OLight doesn't do anything immediately on press, but goes to last used on release, or if you hold long enough will go to ML. (OLight S20). Personally I like the hidden-but-accessible-from-off of OLight, because I value simplicity. And the ML level of ZL is only accessible from off if you know that L2 is currently set. (The whole no-memory-but-yes-memory ZL UI is kind of awesome.. But simple is not the right word)
2. Having five levels with a hidden but accessible [from off] ML, a hidden-but-accessible [from off or on] turbo, and 3 "regular" levels is also pretty close to both the newer OLight (S30) UI and to Vinh's DriverVNX2, no? The key is that OLight has the hidden first mode (ML) and Vinh has the hidden last mode. I totally agree that having both first and last hidden would be a great option.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened

Thinking more about the 3-mode light (with two additional hidden modes)... which is basically the S30R UI.

Call the modes [ML]-low-med-high-[turbo]

1. Sure, it works well to have ML hidden as the first mode, and accessible only from off. (Who needs to be able to access ML from on?)
2. Note that the S30R has a light with memory, which is fixed. If it had no memory, then single click would always go to low, and if you really want medium, then you have to single-click... wait a little... then press-hold. That's a pretty hokey UI.
3. Is anybody else a little bothered that both press-hold and double-click always change your "last level"? In principle, the best resting state for the light is one where press-hold goes to ML, double-click goes to turbo, and single-click goes to whichever is your favorite of the remaining three. So, you're going along, with the light set to medium, and then you light it up in max to see something... and now to get it back to medium is rather time-consuming. I totally get that press-hold changes your last level to ML, but maybe double-click for turbo should not advance the last mode.
4. Regarding point #3, I really like the OLight UI tidbit from the M22, where a double-click of the forward clicky tail switch goes to momentary or constant max, depending on whether you click in, without changing the "current mode". If you want, you can change the current mode - in an entirely separate manner (head twist), but this makes max always available.. from off. So it has its limitations, but it's a great tidbit.

Now generalizing this a little bit, and thinking about it from Vinh's angle.

First, in any DriverVN* there will be a LOT of possible programming modes, with varying numbers of levels, ramping up, ramping down, with memory, strobe, whatever. Another note is that the DriverVNX2 always has memory while the DriverVN2 will change memory or no memory based on the level you program. So the OLight UI is really a single potential number on a Vinh sheet. And it might look like this:

5. ML ** 2 - 10 - 40 ** 100% *** STROBE

You can play around with the levels, sure, but what other modes would it make sense to have in the two hidden locations?

What about this?
6. ML ** 10 ** 40 *** 100

Moonlight is still long-press, and now double-click advances to my "favorite" level from anywhere. And, addressing point #3 above, turbo shortcut of triple-click is now entirely a temporary mode, which doesn't change whatever mode I'm "really in". Maybe someone really likes the M-L-H UIs:

7. ML ** 2 - 40 ** 10 *** 100

Starting in M is possible via double-click. Turbo remains hidden behind triple-click. Moonlight is still available.

Just brainstorming here. I think it's pretty flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.