• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The LunaSol 20: the new benchmark for EDC lights

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl,

There are beamshots of both the LS20 and A2 on low in the initial post. Rough/quick take is this: same amount of light, LS20 much more even and broad flood.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl,

There are beamshots of both the LS20 and A2 on low in the initial post. Rough/quick take is this: same amount of light, LS20 much more even and broad flood.

nbp

Flashaholic
js, are you still rocking the LS20 for your EDC? That would be awesome if it was still reigning supreme.

Also, thank you for this awesome review, which was one of the inspirations for my Haiku review, or as one poster called it, a "love letter" to one of Don's creations. You certainly understand what that's like. ;)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
js, are you still rocking the LS20 for your EDC? That would be awesome if it was still reigning supreme.

Also, thank you for this awesome review, which was one of the inspirations for my Haiku review, or as one poster called it, a "love letter" to one of Don's creations. You certainly understand what that's like. ;)

nbp,

Thanks! And HELL YES my LS20 is still reigning supreme! I carry it with me every day, and have since before I posted this review, and my appreciation for it has only grown.

nbp

Flashaholic
That is very cool to hear. I should like to add one to my McGizmo family one day, I only ever hear good things about them. I don't know how you feel about modding Don's classic pieces but DaFab has done some really cool stuff to LS20s. You should check out his thread on that in the Modified section if you haven't already, and also I think there's some pics in Don's forum, I'd have to find them. I could maybe tempted to have one updated a bit if I get to own one. :naughty:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been toying with the idea of having mine modded for EVER. Warm it up a touch, bump the current on high (using a different LED would allow this very nicely), warm up the 3mm's a touch. Just need to pull the trigger. So hesitant to mess with the SO close to perfection of this light.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have (2) modded LS20's. one from Shineonyoucrazydiamond with the Fyrestormer 3 level mod and one from Milkyspit with a neutral xp-g R43D and love them both. I carry both of these pretty often. I also have (2) stock LS20's that are not carried....TWO THUMBS-UP for either variety of these lights. A true classic from Don....Robert.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I'm not interested in modding my first run LS20, but that's just me. YMMV!

On another note, I thought I'd post an x-ray picture of an LS20. I meant to post it in my first post above, but didn't, for whatever reason. So here it is now:

LS20-x-ray.jpg

You can see why Don said that he left a lot of evidence, CSI style, in the building of these lights--not a simple thing to build, I am sure!

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's wicked cool, isn't it? I stole it from someone over in a thread in the McGizmo forum, back when the LS20 was first released. He used an industrial x-ray machine to take this image. Can't remember who it was. But, thank you, whoever you are/were!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well yeah . . . I did steal it. :devil:

But I did NOT hotlink it! So . . . it's not a banning offense. Plus, I'm pretty sure I got permission to use this from the original poster.

stoli67

Enlightened
I love that.... Might try and take a couple of shots of different mcgizmos with my X-ray equipment :)

I am waiting for my ls20 to return dafabricata updated!

fyrstormer

Banned
Well yeah . . . I did steal it. :devil:

But I did NOT hotlink it! So . . . it's not a banning offense. Plus, I'm pretty sure I got permission to use this from the original poster.
Good thing I was kidding, then. ;)

Hypothetically though, on most of the web forums I've belonged to, confessing to a misdemeanor such as theft (or anything worse) is a bannable offense, because the owners don't want the potential liability of having to report it to the police and appear as witnesses in court. Fortunately copying someone's picture is only a civil offense, and even then only if they copyrighted it. :D

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
stoli67 sent me this via PM to post to this thread:

assort-mcg-x-ray.jpg

Thanks stoli67!

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
I will take an xray of my LS20 when it returns from Dafabricata.... might use the mammography machine as it is a much higher resolution than a standard digital xray!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I should mention that a new light now has taken over my LunaSol 20 as my favorite and EDC light: The Haiku. For all of you out there who are bummed that you can't buy a PD light I suggest you give the Haiku or SunDrop 3S McClickie lights a try! In my opinion they are actually better, overall. FYI FWIW. YMMV.