• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Most Challenging Light Yet--to machine, that is--The TKO

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: He da maaan

Any updates on this beauty, Fred?

Well, your post got me off my duff--I wasn't really happy with the finish on the Ti exposed islands, so I worked on smoothing them out today. Not an easy task, since I wanted to keep the corners as square as possible. I might add, that even though this looks like nothing but sharp edges that will cut into your hand, the truth is that with all the sanding that I did, both before anodizing and after, the light feels remarkably smooth.

So here are some more photos of the now completed light; it has a mini FLuPIC driver with three levels of ouput, plus memory, a modified aluminum XP-G reflector, a 2mm thick mineral glass lens, O-rings and an AW RCR123 battery.

TKO_Final-6_zps8af69160.jpg

TKO_Final-5_zps7677751c.jpg

TKO_Final-4_zps5220c2e5.jpg

TKO_Final-2_zps4c3a7584.jpg

TKO_Final-7_zps6b231f37.jpg

And while I'm still conflicted as to whether to keep this light, or sell it, I've decided to postpone that decision for some time.

I'm normally not inclined to keep lights that I make--after all, the point of making them is to get them out to the flashaholics of the world, but, hey, I'm a flashaholic, too. :devil:

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened

Congratulations Fred, you've outdone yourself here! Looking fantastic - the first & last photos belong in the MOMA catalog :thumbsup:

Zandar

Enlightened
Just fantastic Fred. I can't wait to see the changes in the production version. This I take it, is your most labor intensive light. How many hours would you say went into this one? How about a limited edition of say 5 lights?

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome Fred! The island surfaces look like silk, on a hand grenade of ocean breeze. Never seen anything like it, and would wager I never will.

Just simply stunning work, with a perfect finish to set it off. Keep it, when you get tired of dusting it I'll gladly volunteer to put it to work. ;)

Dale

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
...can't wait to see the changes in the production version...
:hahaha:You one funny guy :crackup:
There's no one that can duplicate that piece - besides Fred, of course, and Fred's not gonna make two identical customs, let alone five...
(...so get out your checkbook and see if you can pry that one out of his fingers... :D)

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just fantastic Fred. I can't wait to see the changes in the production version. This I take it, is your most labor intensive light. How many hours would you say went into this one? How about a limited edition of say 5 lights?

Production version? I don't recall ever suggesting that. I'm sure that if I brought this into my machine shop and somehow managed to get them to give me a quite, that the resulting retail price would be very high.

I'm sure that I have more than 40 hours in this light, btw. Not that I was rushing to get it done, mind you.

Zandar

Enlightened
Fred, 5 copies sounds reasonable; 4 for us collectors and one for the upcoming Smithsonian Institution's "History Of Custom Led Illumination Tools In Contemporary Western Culture." exhibit. I believe the curator has already obtained examples off "Data's", TGWNN and McGizmo's work. You don't want to be left out do you?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
FRED! It turned out great, my friend. I have it on good authority that this thing was 3+ years in the making, and it did not disappoint!

You rocked these pictures too... some of your best shots ever. You can tell the maker is proud of his creation. :)

:thumbsup: john

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey John, you're teaching him well...his pics are really good. We just need to teach him the art of stacking for macro and watch the details POP! ;)

Dale

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Fred, 5 copies sounds reasonable; 4 for us collectors and one for the upcoming Smithsonian Institution's "History Of Custom Led Illumination Tools In Contemporary Western Culture." exhibit. I believe the curator has already obtained examples off "Data's", TGWNN and McGizmo's work. You don't want to be left out do you?

He is not left out. I have donated a La Petite killer and Task Light II to MIT, and they are on loan that exhibit the Smithsonian is working on.

eusty

Newly Enlightened
Wow what a light! :wow:

Somehow I think it maybe a bit out of my price range.... :hairpull:

Zandar

Enlightened
Yes, Indeed it would be a very expensive project. I have it on good authority that a light such as this would start at a minium of $1800.

Zandar

Enlightened
So you think 5 is really enough given the demand seen here? If only Fred would take monopoly money! Short of inherting a lot of money(which is never going to happen), I don't think this light will ever be in my future. But this light really does belong in that Smithsonian Exhibit.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful. You should name it TROD. Looks sort of like a tread rod. TROD.

Or maybe, simply "EIGHT." It has 8 rows of blocks each way and 8 channels.

Mesmerizing little feller...

It should definitely appear in the next sci fi movie. A future villain or hero could roll it down an declining plane and chase it will shooting aliens in it's beam or something. Hell, it could do the shooting! lol. :)

Last edited: