• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Mule

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This is very interesting. Indeed.
Not without risk in a throw and lux oriented environment like CPF, but I like it.

I'd be in for one McLuxIII Mule head and an Aleph Mule head as well.

It would be great the Aleph Mule would accept the classic Aleph LE ... so that the "Mule-LE" could be transfered to another light and vice versa.

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Got a pic of the business end?

AND ... considering the intended use of this ... maybe a PD version isn't even necessary and a simple 2-stage twisty could be sufficient? To reduce the length further.
I mean ... you wont need momentary high to reach out and look for that noise with that light ... :D

bernie

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Kiessling said:
AND ... considering the intended use of this ... maybe a PD version isn't even necessary and a simple 2-stage twisty could be sufficient? To reduce the length further.
I mean ... you wont need momentary high to reach out and look for that noise with that light ...
+1 to a McTwisty! :naughty:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jch79 said:
+1 to a McTwisty! :naughty:

Yeah, and maybe the twisty pak should be CR2 for even smaller or maybe 18650 for mega guilt free lumens or maybe 3x123 for long stints in a tent at the end of the world or maybe...........

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Don, you have GOT to stop making flashlights so I can stop buying them. FiveMega starts off every one of his sales threads by saying "here is what you have been waiting for." As LuxLuthor once said of these posts: "the funny thing, each one FM makes really IS the one I've been waiting for."

It applies to your lights, too; I'm like a McGizmo addict - I just can't stop buying them.

Seriously, this light looks beautiful, Don - but of course, just about anything you do comes out perfect.

I'm definitely excited to add this one to my "set!" (Sadly, I missed my opportunity to purchase a PD-S mizer. If anyone out there wants to help me complete my 2007 McGizmo collection, send me a PM!)

Finally, we're going to have to re-evaluate your claim that "these lights are the antithesis of an exotic or "super" flashlight...tocky in appearance and dependable for the mundane." Don, *nothing* you've ever made is mundane; you pay exquisite attention to detail and function. Even your mundane creations are works of art.

Damnit, how am I going to explain yet another purchase to my wife?

- FITP

Last edited:

jch79

McGizmo said:
Yeah, and maybe the twisty pak should be CR2 for even smaller or maybe 18650 for mega guilt free lumens or maybe 3x123 for long stints in a tent at the end of the world or maybe...........
Wow! :laughing: You can do all of that?! :lolsign: :party: :takeit:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Hrm...I like. I'm thinking this could be a nice friend for my HD45 :naughty:

- Chris

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just a bare led, or does it have a straight angled reflector to help corral some of the photons into going back out in an semi-orderly fashion?

Not that it matters, by my opinion is that it should have good runtime (without a sacrifice of being dim, since you need a lot of lumens to have a bright flood anyways). So a big battery is the way to go. Maybe even have a way to attach one of those mini grippy tri-pods so you can attach it and aim it at the area you are working on? (maybe even magnet on the tri pod?)

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Isaac and Bernie,
I didn't take a front end shot because I have not finalized how the MCPCB will be seated or retained. This design puts the LED as close to the window as practical and offers no additional optics or side catching reflector to redirect light that may be geting out way off axis. Typically any attempt at sending such light out the front end results in some type of collimation or spot. If anything, I would want to put some type of lambertian reflective surface in the chamber forward of the LED to catch those errant photons. I don't consider the loss of light as is to be significant. Again an advantage with the XR-E is its narrower viewing angle in the first place. There is probably as much loss in absorption with a deep reflector if not more than in this case, using no secondary optic. The bottom line is the fact that you do get ample light, IMHO with little artifact in close and no artifact of issue, in real use.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The mule, it just works. Heee-Haaaaw! :laughing:

Dont confuse this with a jack-***, I love flood! What a great concept. So to replecate what this light *should* do, is it like taking the head off a Mag-modded LED light and lighting it up? Just pure, 100% flood?

In July of 2005 I would call you crazy, now that I'm an amateur flashaholic, I call it genious! Newbies might not understand a light of this caliber, thats all I'm trying to say.

I'm in!

Oh, and +1 for just selling the head as an upgrade, but I'll buy one either way... :touche:

photorob

Enlightened
I have allot of love for my surefire L4. It was the first light I bought and still is almost my favorite.(runtime sucks) Flood is perfect for almost all situations around the house. I'd also like to see the mrc27 that is in the aleph 1 used in another light. It is my favorite beam for a small light.

Fringe

Enlightened
Sweet. I am all about this. It took me almost a week after I got into this hobby to realize that flood is it.

Mule it up!

jch79

The photos on your first post didn't load when I was at work :shrug: - Don, this looks even better than I was imagining it! :thumbsup:

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes! Floods are great, the McLux TK is still one of my favorite lights for around the house. I was just earlier today wondering whether there was a way to swap out the Q3L Luxeon in it for an SSC emitter but the Mule solves the whole problem...