The new XP-G: another big announcement from CREE

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet, the K2 TFFC has a lower thermal resistance than the XR-E. :thinking:
This comes from XR-E using a ceramic package. The thermal resistance for the whole LED is lower but it's possible the XR-E has a lower TR at the junction where the die connects. I'd have to dig up the spec sheets again to be sure.

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ekke, great comparison shot. Could you immerse both LED's in the shallow water and take the picture again? It would eliminate the emitter domes distortion and allow precisely see both dies size.

I would be great if you add a XR-E to them in another shot.

Last edited:

Ekke

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ekke, great comparison shot. Could you immerse both LED's in the shallow water and take the picture again? It would eliminate the emitter domes distortion and allow precisely see both dies size.

Sure. Those are in use, but I will try. I think I have that free XP-G still somewhere. How good those will handle water? :)

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry, I'm sure they don't mind it when sinked for a minute and then you let them dry for a few hours in a warm and dry place. :)

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I advanced the idea that the XP-G is a lambertian LED some time ago, but I haven't found confirmation. Is it official, or am I officially wrong? :p

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I advanced the idea that the XP-G is a lambertian LED some time ago, but I haven't found confirmation. Is it official, or am I officially wrong? :p
Overlaid comparison curves from the pdfs
seoul_cree_K2-spatial-curve.gif

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly as I expected. It warms my heart to know that we'll hopefully soon be rid of the XR-E package, as the metal ring and non-lambertian pattern have always been a big pain for beam quality and smoothness. About the only thing I like the XR-E for is unreflectored bare-emitter applications, in which it makes a more usable beam than lambertian emitters.

I'll get a few new-die XP-Gs as soon as I can. :)

Edit: umm... so, where do I get new-die XP-Gs from (international/european shipping required)? :thinking: Are they even available yet?

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly as I expected. It warms my heart to know that we'll hopefully soon be rid of the XR-E package, as the metal ring and non-lambertian pattern have always been a big pain for beam quality and smoothness. About the only thing I like the XR-E for is unreflectored bare-emitter applications, in which it makes a more usable beam than lambertian emitters.

I'll get a few new-die XP-Gs as soon as I can. :)

Edit: umm... so, where do I get new-die XP-Gs from (international/european shipping required)? :thinking: Are they even available yet?

Who said anything about the XR-E going away. For all we know Cree has so many XR-E orders that they don't feel the need to revamp the line for the XP-G. The XR-E still has it's benefits the non-Lambertian beam may not be useful for you but for applications of flood where you still want a lot of light forward it's great.

The XR-E can produce a good beam it's up to the designer and just because we like to use lambertian reflectors for it and don't get the desired beam it isn't the XR-Es fault.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who said anything about the XR-E going away. For all we know Cree has so many XR-E orders that they don't feel the need to revamp the line for the XP-G.
I'm hoping that's how it'll go in the long run, I know we won't be rid of it tomorrow.

The XR-E still has it's benefits the non-Lambertian beam may not be useful for you but for applications of flood where you still want a lot of light forward it's great.
But that's exactly what I said :p

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not hard to simulate an XR-E's naked beam pattern if that's what someone wants to do.

With a small conical collar dropped over a Seoul P4 (or other lambertian LED), something more XR-E-like can be made.
The blue curve ('collared P4') added to the graph is for a P4 with a reasonable-sized conical collar, front diameter about 13mm, roughly 90 degree full-angle, - the upper LED in:
reflector_shot_p31x_low.jpg

The curve on the graph is only approximate - using a cheap luxmeter with a cardboard tube lens hood taped to the front and rotating the light by hand over a printed protractor scale, but taking readings each 10 degrees going up and down the angles seemed to give reasonably repeatable results.

With a shallower reflector, less side-light would be captured and redirected forwards, so the curve would be less centre-weighted, and a decent approximation to a naked XR-E should be obtainable for anyone who wanted that.

With one of the smaller-package recent Crees, the necesary reflector would be tiny. I have made one for an XP-E, pretty much to LED-scale with the one in the above picture, but forming and taping the reflective plastic using tweezers was desperately fiddly, and would have been rather easier if forming over a conical mould.

If there actually was a market, such reflectors should be easy for a commercial company to churn out for peanuts.

Last edited:

Ekke

Newly Enlightened

Here you go... Two pics added together, but should be same magnification.

xp_xre_underwater.jpg

Bigger version here [~4Mb]. There are "some" air bubbles, the water stood a day in a cup, but clearly it wasn't enough. Oh well, I think those will do the job. :rolleyes:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are these? S2 bin? Or some other update?
No, sorry - I meant the four-strip XP-G die. I mistakenly thought the XP-G came in two dies, the old-style one we're used from the XR-E and the new-style four-strip one. I now realize the XP-G universally comes with the "new-style" die.