The Official Zebralight Thread .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I don't want that. I intentionally don't want the floody version since the wide part of the beam blinds people I'm running with.
The word Floody in Zebraspeak, actually just means frosted glass over a reflector. And as you will see in the following photos, the Floody beam is narrower than the spill of the Reflector w Clear lens..

Zebralight has three beam types:
Zebralight_reflectors.jpg
Note the flood beam has a very wide angle, but the Floody beam does not:

Standard Beam Reflector with clear glass, notice the width of the spill. The center of the beam reaches farther than the other options, but when running the hotspot will move around a lot, and that may become tiresome. Not ideal for running imo:
comp_3p117050363xhe.jpg

Floody beam (reflector with frosted glass): notice the beam width is narrower than the spill above. The Floody beam also does not throw as far, but is the most suitable for running, imo.
comp_3p1170502kjzqs.jpg

Flood beam, this is very wide angle, very little throw, not suitable for running.
comp_3p1170500aesg7.jpg

so, imo, the floody beam is the best choice for running with other people..

DCFix is a way to simulate the Floody beam, using plastic film that is removable, instead of comitting to the Frosted glass on the Floody beam model.
rsgGKdM.png

bear in mind that both the Floody beam from frosted glass, and the Floody beam from DCFix will reduce the useful distance of the light beam... If you choose to use DCFix, and then decide you want to see farther, with a smaller hotspot, you can peel the DCFix off the clear glass.

likethevegetable

Enlightened
Nice share as usual, @jon_slider! I tend to disagree about the spill being narrower on the floody. At the 80 degree mark, the spot/spill pattern is brighter than floody, but abruptly ends, where floody gradually fades until about 90 degrees, and is brighter for a wider area under the tripod. You could make arguments for either or depending on how you define it though! I'm not a runner though, so practical experience would prevail.

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
The word Floody in Zebraspeak, actually just means frosted glass over a reflector. And as you will see in the following photos, the Floody beam is narrower than the spill of the Reflector w Clear lens..

Zebralight has three beam types:
View attachment 44748
Note the flood beam has a very wide angle, but the Floody beam does not:

Standard Beam Reflector with clear glass, notice the width of the spill. The center of the beam reaches farther than the other options, but when running the hotspot will move around a lot, and that may become tiresome. Not ideal for running imo:
View attachment 44749

Floody beam (reflector with frosted glass): notice the beam width is narrower than the spill above. The Floody beam also does not throw as far, but is the most suitable for running, imo.
View attachment 44750

Flood beam, this is very wide angle, very little throw, not suitable for running.
View attachment 44751

so, imo, the floody beam is the best choice for running with other people..

DCFix is a way to simulate the Floody beam, using plastic film that is removable, instead of comitting to the Frosted glass on the Floody beam model.
View attachment 44752

bear in mind that both the Floody beam from frosted glass, and the Floody beam from DCFix will reduce the useful distance of the light beam... If you choose to use DCFix, and then decide you want to see farther, with a smaller hotspot, you can peel the DCFix off the clear glass.

Interesting. I've never been concerned about the hotspot bouncing.

That makes sense. I previously had an H502 flood headlamp that was really wide style. Then I switched to the H52 with the standard beam and it was much better.

I've been thinking about upgrading to the H53c N for better CRI. But, I rely on Li-ion batteries for longer run time. I just got F12 cells that are amazing. It sounds like I should be ok using them in the H53c N as long as I stop discharging soon after they drop down from high, which usually works fine since my runs are about 1 hour in the dark at the most.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't a new product supposed to be released this month? Any word from those of you in the know?

I sent them this, this morning... No answer yet.

Any updates you can give on New SC64 Hi 719A.

----Everything looking good or delay in listing pre-order?

---Zebra fans are excited and asking for some information! Hows it going; time frame...

thanks

User/Date
Staff (Adminstrator) (6/8/2023 12:54:44 PM)

We'll open pre-orders for an SC65c HI in a few days. The SC65 series will come with a new, more efficient driver circuitry along with some better spec'ed components (for example, the inductor is more than double the size of what's in the SC64 series), and 0.5mm shorter.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
User/Date
Staff (Adminstrator) (6/8/2023 12:54:44 PM)

We'll open pre-orders for an SC65c HI in a few days. The SC65 series will come with a new, more efficient driver circuitry along with some better spec'ed components (for example, the inductor is more than double the size of what's in the SC64 series), and 0.5mm shorter.

Wow. How can the circuit be made any more efficient? I thought that was already one of the big benefits of a ZL.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
SC65c HI ... inductor is more than double the size of what's in the SC64
thanks, good info
How can the circuit be made any more efficient?
A larger inductor is more efficient...
Different Zebras have different drivers and different efficiencies.

M1 % efficiency
Zebra SC5370
Zebra SC6485
Zebra SC64c LE88
Zebra H600 IV93
Zebra SC700d93

Some Convoy and Noctigon drivers are more efficient than Zebra drivers:
KR495
Convoy95

efficiency data came from here

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its great that there are a couple new Zebra lines with Nichia LEDs:

1. Little AA Zebras with nice floody High CRI 519a LEDs

2. Compact 18650 Zebras with nice throwy High CRI 719a LEDs

These two new models show that Zebralight is making a new commitment to the AA model line, and also to the Compact 18650 model line, Officially incorporating High CRI Nichias for the first time.

If interested in some preliminary testing info for the 719a in a modified UnOfficial Zebra, see this thread, thanks to Bob_McBob.. here is a snippet:

"Throw
719A is visibly more throwy than XHP35 HI in the same reflector. I measure 23.9 cd/lm for this light vs. 18.1 cd/lm for the same model in XHP35 HI. That gives an FL1 throw of 283m. The XHP35 HI SC600 is one of my favourite lights of all time due to the great combination of output, throw, and size, and perhaps my top choice for single light outdoor use on hikes. The modded 719A version is just as nice for this purpose."

Last edited:

Bob_McBob

Enlightened
Can't wait for the (allegedly) SC600c Mk V HI with 719A.
I don't anticipate 719A being used in a higher power model like the SC600. Zebralight has traditionally been quite conservative about following manufacturer ratings for drive current, and 719A in particular also loses colour rendering quality and shifts CCT a lot at higher currents. It should be quite acceptable at the rated current in the upcoming SC65, but they will probably stick to Cree for the SC600.