The Spyderco Experience and Whale Rescue Blade Becomes Puppy Defence

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

This thread is meant to be respectful and appreciative of Spyderco. It would be nice to hear about positive experiences with the knives and the company.

Additionally, here is a Whale Rescue Blade modified for carry. Our puppy got very ill and weak, yet we wanted to give her some exercise, and like to go at night because it is cooler, especially for our sled dog. Coyotes and possibly bears and most unlikely mountain lions, could be an issue, in that we are going to their home ground. The puppy is now six and a half months old now and doing really well, if still a little weak.

I contacted Spyderco and the founder, Sal Glesser about this project. After sending him a 3 minute YouTube video (restricted only to those viewers with a link) of what I was doing with his rescue blade, he indicated it was my prerogative to make this public.

The beginning of the video starts with a brief view of personal-carry Spyderco knives.
1:14 shows the tools that were used to make the knife.
2:21 is a close up with a view of the part of the blade where I used a Lansky sharpening system to reprofile part of the blade.
3:57 a possibly novel cutting demonstration
~5:16 end of video

There will be more posts about excellent experiences with Spyderco these past decades, and you are encouraged to tell your story.

http://youtu.be/ayLIjHbPJJ4

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool Vid.
Learned a few things:
You voice & cadence sounds like Matt Graham from Dual Survivor. ha
I learned how to pronounce your Handle properly.
I learned you may be related to the Grim Reaper! lol

I carry a Pacific Salt H1 all the time. Love it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please post anything Spyderco!

Not too long after the Spyderco Endura and Delica came out, (a long time ago) I was working with a landscape company that prided itself with de-emphasizing grass lawns, for a more natural, 'native' look. One way to make areas less likely to sprout up a profusion of weeds, is to put down mulch. In our case, it was pine needles; bales and bales of pine needles. Well, I do not remember how long my Endura endured, but after a good while, the lock would no longer reliably keep the blade open. It must be said that every time I finished spreading one bale of needles, the knife was opened up to cut the polypropylene twine, then closed and put in the pocket. This was done much, much quicker that anyone else working with me, using a conventional pocket knife. Never did I abuse the locking mechanism. The knife shop owner where I purchased it recommended that I send a "nice" letter to Spyderco, explaining the situation, and return the knife (Don't do this now days; Talk to Spyderco first). Quite a few weeks later I received a new Endura that I ended up giving to a friend, because I had already purchased another. One that lasted a long time until I gave it to my brother in law.

The reason why I gave it to my brother in law was that one of his cows had died, and he was curious to see if the cow's internals might give a clue as to why the death occured. He had some pocket knife that was just not cutting it, so I loaned him my (always serrated) Syderco. Opened her up, guts smeared to the armpit: No clue as to why it died. But he was seriously impressed with the blade.

At that point, it was time to look for another Spyderco. To be continued...

ven

Flashaholic
Great vid,:cool: your certainly a natural and look forward to more of your vids :poke:

Very impressive with the ball! Can't wait for your shot put ....cut one;)

Latest posts