"The Torch" (Beamshots added 5/2)

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "The Torch"

andrewwynn said:
Hey mac.. how do you connect power to the lamp? is there a way to fit in a driver? this would be a killer light to add in a driver and run the 64610 or the 62138.. the batts you have in there would compete head-on with the CBP 1650s, and probably hold voltage better to boot.

-awr

Power to the lamp is supplied in the standard way. I have a USL stlye Bi-Pin holder modified with a G10 pcb which makes contact to the battery holder positive. The Halogen sockets I have sourced will accept all stlyle bi-pin lamps. The power is switched via the ground path through the tailswitch.

Mac

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened

cmacclel said:
-Pricing should be around $225.
-Reflectors will be Medium Stipple
-Colors....I'll try to accomodate
-Runtime.....Your looking at around 8-10 minutes of intermittent use like 1 minute at a time or under :). This light is a show light it's not meant for taking walks at night.
-Bulbs are easy to find and under $5 each
-ETA is a couple of weeks.
-Beamshots soon :)
Sweet. At that price, pencil me in as tentatively interested. Pending screenshots, of course. It would be awesome to see some Torch vs. USL comparison shots. It sounds like "The Torch" will be more flood-y, but potentially brighter? (A scary thought.)

Are those cells easily available to ordinary folks? I might also be interested in a second battery holder plus cells. Do-able?

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I meant.. how do you get the power from the bat+ to the socket? do you machine your own contact/holder for the socket, or using a KIU modified to suit your needs, and how do you hold the socket in? ala USL with a set screw from the inside? I'm very interested in making a version of this light with 50W regulated lamp.. runtime of about 20 minutes.. no instalflash, can use continuous.. twice the light of a Mag85.. it's a win winner.

very good description of how to use a 100W flashlight.. they are not meant for start to finish operation, even though sometimes you can get away with it.

-awr

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots

Mag85 with CBP1650's (brightest option)

Mag85_cbp-vi.jpg

The Torch

Torch-vi.jpg

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be working on a few of these lights this week. All parts needed are in :)

Mac

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
Mac,

I'm still in. Paypal ready. The beamshots are incredible. Have you compared this light to an USL?

chasm22

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crosman451 said:
Hi Mac,

Are these going to be turn-key, batteries, etc.?

Mike

I'm currently debating on wether to purchase some chargers and batteries for turn key units.

Chargers will be around $30 each and the batteries are around $3 each.

I guess I need a feeler post.

Mac