The value of a "tactical" light for civilian concealed-carry

fishndad

Enlightened
I do appolagize for refering to you as antagonistec and the situation you describe at the bus stop would **** off anyone.
I hope you can forgive my careless uninformed comment.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I do appolagize for refering to you as antagonistec and the situation you describe at the bus stop would **** off anyone.
I hope you can forgive my careless uninformed comment.

I was more afraid to lose my flashlight than i was pissed off lol...it was very inconvenient and annoying at the very least. I just think that I'll be sorry for someone else for not filing some kind of complaint against this guy...Let's hope the next person he antagonizes has less tolerance and the knowledge to do as NLI instructed me :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
TRAINING is so important. Especially when - as a profession - LEO are so under the microscope/gun at the same time. ANYONE can have a bad day/slip up and let someone "have it" verbally or even physically if buttons are pushed.

Its never condoned of course, but, its like medical malpractice. Everyone knows a doctor is a human being, and that humans err. BUT, if they DO make a mistake, they do NOT "get away with it". They are raked over the coals, and drawn and quartered in court. (Drawn and Courted?)

In some professions, you are not allowed to make a mistake, ever, period. This is of course unrealistic, and yet, is the reality of it.

My feeling is that people who choose such a profession MUST know where the bar is, and how high it is.

To that end, there are people who check on the activity around that bar, and see if anyone tried to sneak under it. These people who pass the bar are called lawyers. They get money from the ones who go under the bar, and give 60% of it to the people who set the bar the guy went under.

:D

zenbeam

Enlightened
NOTHING always works 100% of the time. Real life is like that. What deters one guy infuriates another, and so forth. What IS consistent though, is the TENDENCY for conflicts involving potential victimization to deescalate when the attacker perceives the victim as potentially aware of his surroundings/harder to take by surprise, and/or when the target shows evidence of also being potentially capable of counter measures/potential danger to the attacker.

Just because you HAVE a gun doesn't mean you have to use it. Just because you have a light doesn't mean you have to use it. Both give you options though you would not have without them. You just need to be able to choose what is appropriate for the situation.

For me, I think walking confidently and with purpose, while looking around/showing situational awareness, deters attacks by those looking for targets of opportunity.

That's the FIRST line of defense. :D

There goes that nail on the head! I think TEEJ truly is a carpenter!

When I replied earlier in this thread and mentioned having a background in martial arts training and not wanting to carry a concealed weapon (handgun) - I also referenced "situational awareness" and what I was trying to say was that the training heightened my situational awareness and as a result, I am less likely to need to defend myself. I could probably write a couple of paragraphs going on about that, but TEEJ has succinctly summarized the meat of the meaning.

Anyone and everyone can and will benefit, from a self defense standpoint (and in many other unforeseen ways), by carrying themselves in the manner TEEJ described. I'm sure many of you know this is common advice from LEO or other safety minded organizations to civilians, but take it seriously. Carry yourself like you are prepared and if you carry something with you, let the confidence in knowing that you have it and can use it show in your demeanor - and it will. Appear confident, not cocky. Feel capable and others will sense it.

And also... use your instincts. Yes, instincts. If an area or place doesn't "feel" right, it isn't. Don't go there. If a group of people or a person seems odd or gives you a "weird" feeling, even makes you feel scared... you are! Don't laugh... you should pay attention to yourself and get out of there.

Be the ball. :sssh:

Last edited:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those interested in additional reading about defensive applications for flashlights (with pro's and some con's)

POLICE Magazine - How to Use a Strobing Flashlight - Article
http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Patrol/Articles/2010/06/How-to-Use-a-Strobing-Flashlight.aspx
http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Pa.../How-to-Use-a-Strobing-Flashlight/Page/2.aspx

254wjlx.jpg

(The pic of the attacker blinded by a bright light actually came from this PoliceMag article)

"When those who have no life are no longer being fed and cared for by Uncle Sugar, they will roam the streets looking for victims to feed upon. We already see the vacant glassy eyes staring out at us from those who have lost the will to live."

Zombies!

Last edited:

flashlight nut

Enlightened
So, out of curiosity, what all does everyone carry (flashlight wise) for this purpose?

A Surefire LX2 clipped inside my front pocket for a true momentary only UI with an HDS 170T clipped to my belt for back up and general use. Both oppossite side to my firearm. FYI, even if you don't carry a firearm the flashlight should be deployed and operated with opposite hand for defensive purposes.

jamesb

Newly Enlightened
I'm running a Fenix PD31 light on my custom build I did.

AR800.jpg

James please resize your image to no larger than 800 X 800 pixels - Norm

EDIT: Resized photo :)

Last edited: