The World’s Most Powerful Single Searchlight Unit

jso902

Enlightened
Are we using this to send Morse code to the space station?
Jk... nice project.

ID01

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if there is a guinness world records for this sorta thing? I know the one on top of the Luxor is (or was?) the most powerful search beam, but that one was also a permanent installation. What about a mobile category?

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if there is a guinness world records for this sorta thing? I know the one on top of the Luxor is (or was?) the most powerful search beam, but that one was also a permanent installation. What about a mobile category?

The luxor "light" is actually 39, @ 7,000 w Xenon searchlights that put out 1/3 the lumen per watt as the HMI used in my searchlights. HMI is very efficient but takes 55 seconds to light up fully and has a slightly larger arc area, so the beam is thicker or the searchlight has to be larger, like mine are. Xenon starts instantly and makes a thinner beam in a small searchlight, but uses a lot of energy. If I place the 24,000 watt HMI in my searchlight, I would only need about 3-1//2 of my lights to equal the light output of the 39 Xenon lights at 1/3 the energy and replacement bulb cost per year which is huge for the Xenon.

Of course that's no ordinary light socket it can handle up to 50,000 watts,... I'm only going to put a 4000 watt light on it ....HMI.

Click here to view the original image of 1600x1202px.
19199308453_e274d39f4a_h.jpg

This socket will be placed into the 50 inc Monster Searchlight so we can see this babe light up the sky like the WWII 60 inch carbon arc search;)lights do..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are we using this to send Morse code to the space station?
Jk... nice project.

My light would actually be more easily visible to the Space Station. The current Luxor light makes such a finely focused beam of light, that it's only maybe a mile or so in diameter at the height of the space station. You almost never see the Luxor light from space because the space station is traveling so fast, the chances of it passing through the Luxor light beam and being photographed is practically nil. My searchlight has a bigger, thicker beam with more side wash, resulting in a beam several miles across, dramatically increasing the chances the space station will see and photograph the beam..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big learning experience. I built this 50 inch Monster reflector six years ago and sort of didn't do much becasue it needed a very bright bulb to do it justice. Dimmer bulbs just barely mad e abeam. This thing took the light a and shot it into the night sky. For ease of transport, storage with ease of extraction, I have decided to make this my big light for now. The 72 inch is so big, I had to partially disassemble it just to store the pieces. For now the 50 inch MONSTER will be the big dominant light until I get a shop where I won't drive my neighbors crazy. Have to decommission things a little until I can get into a production facility.:cool:

This thing is "AWESOME" Had kind of shelved this light in favor of more efficient reflector designs. This set up allows for less light to be collected from bulb, but with a much longer focal length, the light travels further in a more parallel beam configuration. Beam had the effect of looking somewhat like a laser and was hard to tell from which direction it was coming from when beam aimed near horizon.

50 inch Searchlight MONSTER was shelved for a few years while I was waiting to secure a 4,000 watt HMI 385,000 lumen light source. It is a good substitute for the 60 inch WWII searchlights that need much loving care to keep going. This 50 inch MONSTER will help keep the big light legacy going well into the 21st century and beyond. The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from a yard or two away.

21747198998_309b86ac29_b.jpg

Photo taken behind MONSTER showing the beam traveling several miles.

Photo taken from a block away

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos taken a few blocks away.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photos taken around and from a few hundred feet distance.
21313883243_3c4fa55c84_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Walking way from searchlight, the beam appears to follow. Aimed near the horizon, people couldn't tell which direction it was coming from...nice narrow beam compared to my other searchlights.

21944758501_429064630b_k.jpg

The beautiful beam is a nice painting to a glorious night sky. Photo from directly beneath the beam, next to searchlight.

21748129029_3eec6d78d3_b.jpg

Photo from near mail boxes, block away...300 feet...

21748144699_95d0359ec3_b.jpg

Some good views from a block away...several hundred feet. Couldn't go any where with the crowds coming to see. Police almost said they'd stay and watch while I drove around to take photos.

21908665546_73cd8f5f8a_b.jpg

Some of these composites were hard to align with the camera tripod. Software to straighten the photos was unavailable.

21934825745_4f3443d09a_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21908677586_78fb3d093e_h.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21922954332_93b486c2d5_b.jpg

Photo from a block away.

21748150449_de5a1dd96f_b.jpg

Photos showing beam traveling overhead. Laser like look, hard to tell direction beam came from when aimed near horizon.

21748139529_9654cab417_b.jpg

Photo from a block away. Beam paints a nice color in the night sky. Turquoise blue color looks nice.

21748157619_f9d65cf9f5_b.jpg

Photo from behind searchlight.
I'll get back to posting on this shortly.

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to say, I'd like to one day have the means to compare many of my searchlights together. For now I can do a 1,200 watt HMI, NightHawk or 36 inch Gorilla, comparison to the 4,000 HMI 50 inch Monster, when the neighbors won't be bothered. Have to do it when the nights come real early next month.Yes the light was phenomenal. Never had such a line of vehicles like this before.
Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

One day would like to power all the lights at once, but will take a while to have the resources to power all the lights at once. Would like to have them all on at once, some day. Here is how the 50 inch Monster looked Halloween Night.
Hard to say, I'd like to one day have the means to compare many of my searchlights together. For now I can do a 1,200 watt HMI, NightHawk or 36 inch Gorilla, comparison to the 4,000 HMI 50 inch Monster, when the neighbors won't be bothered. Have to do it when the nights come real early next month.

Just wanted everyone to know this MONSTER 50 inch searchlight is a winner. So many cars came by and used up much of our trick or treat candy..! Met many people from far away towns and small cities. People from towns twenty miles distance said it was bright where they were located.

Here are some quick photos, (better ones to be transferred soon), of the awesome Halloween night 50 inch MONSTER searchlight Trick or Treaters flood and hundreds of vehicles on our private street to see what the "Big Light", was all about.. Awesome. Met many great people.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x885px.
22772307946_be72fde357_k.jpg

Another shot taken from a camera hard to transfer photos from. Looks great, will get it in better quality soon.

First photo of the night my cell phone camera could actually take.
At sunset I turned the searchlight on and found it was already dark enough to be seen.
naughty.gif
cool.gif
thinking.gif
welcome.gif

Click here to view the original image of 1024x751px.
22738366735_7c6cd87dd5_b.jpg

Searchlight is bright enough to be seen at sunset.
cool.gif

Halloween begins with this brilliant beam that could be seen twenty miles in distant small towns.

My 385,000 lumen Four thousand watt, HMI high efficiency, medium arc, 50 inch diameter MONSTER searchlight drew in Hundreds and hundreds of vehicles, multiple dozens of "Trick or Treaters", more than all other years here combined. One photo is from cell phone and one with a rainbow vein, like a rainbow caught in the light beam.
(You can see the high tech light bulb cooling down next to the air cooled 'split half reflector', which redirects otherwise wasted back light, back through the arc chamber, and onto the main reflector.)

22379934008_6fb2788a93_b.jpg

Beam looked thinner to the eye, but cloud nicely lit.

Cool photo showing beam splitting raindrops up into colors like a rainbow.

Click here to view the original image of 1578x1182px.
22639262836_010b3e12dc_h.jpg

While the rain was falling heavily, rainbow patterns were visible at various parts of the light beam. Looked real neat.

4,000 watt, 385,000 lumen HMI High Tech bulb cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1024x774px.
22477334790_f26cb0f84b_b.jpg

The split reflector cooling system has reduced the tarnishing effects of the intense heat assaulting the back split reflector.

Beam was bright enough for the my cell phone to capture the beam in rain

Click here to view the original image of 1024x756px.
22676491331_d2ab64aa6c_b.jpg

Very impressive. The beam could be seen for many, many miles. People from many of the small and large towns and small cities scattered in the area, came for some candy and to see a searchlight, many had never seen one in person before. The look on many people's faces was like they had just seen God, or were otherwise spiritually lifted.

Car headlights compete with the much brighter searchlight beam 1:200 ratio in brightness.

22177183943_a968b15755_b.jpg

Beam isn't totally culminated, but it looks like a laser when underneath it in another neighborhood...I'm told.

Way worth the effort. Now we get many Trick or Treaters when in the entire history of our small part of town, we had almost no people come by on Halloween...ever. I'm stoked....don't have to eat so much left over candy now....HA.
cool.gif

Will have to do this again. Originally I was going to make this the last appearance of the light, but due to high public approval, I may do it again, next year..!
b
p.pl

When resources allow, the World's Biggest Searchlight will be "resurrected". For now the 60 inch WWII wann-a-BE Monster 50 inch searchlight will be my Big Light for now. A true WWII searchlight will blow mine away, but it'll be interesting to see how the two would compare. Maybe at Flash-a-holic event to be scheduled soon...I hope..!

b
p.pl

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took a few moments to post some fill in the gap missing pictures from the Facebook links. I'll fix it up more as time permits.
15716326420_7d7150916f_k.jpg

Nice day time picture of how powerful this thing actually is..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
May try to make a large reflector using metal this time for this extraordinary searchlight.

The original big light; The 24inch LightSward, I made out of Fiberglass as my first successful light, has now been upgraded to Aluminum. Awesome..!

New big changes in how I make my reflectors, now in metal; and how much more significantly improved these Aluminum and steel reflectors are over my successful Fiberglass class of reflectors I've been working on for over half a dozen years on..!

These newly made Aluminum reflectors I've made, along with several others; and more on the way, are truly amazing..! The ease and precision that can be accomplished: quickly, silently, easily, artfully, and without odors or other issues with an incredible result. Still needs to be "dialed in", but the results are already better than the Fiberglass. No Orange Peal effect, that was actually a subtle defects in the Fiberglass surface, invisible until the reflective surface was applied. The metal doesn't have such an issue. Live and learn. This new personal "discovery of skills", will go across the board on all my searchlights. So far several: 7, 24, 26 and 30 inch reflectors are finished or about to be and several 36 inch Aluminum discs are on standby to be converted shortly. Several simultaneous tests on the different reflector designs will occur to determine the best route(s), to be taken at this time. EXCITING!:D:D:D

Polishing is not feasible at this time, as it involves too much noise and not as good a reflective surface as this window glazing I used. I'll use the chrome tape with it's better reflectivity in future reflectors. NOW I HAVE A LIGHT METER AND CAN TAKE ACTUAL READINGS.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors.

24878716421_0bd2cf6c23_b.jpg

Aluminum reflectors made from flat bottom water tank collection pan.

My upside reflections caused by the 'magnifying glass' effect of the two different style reflectors. One is a deep 200 degree capture design with more light reflectivity compared to the 130 degree capture with it's superior long distance light throw..

Click here to view the original image of 1024x773px.
24972057155_e2b8a3bd2d_b.jpg

These reflectors are so much more easier to make out of Aluminum discs than the Fiberglass process I've been using. I did a "quick" production routine to make these and others in progress at a larger diameter, I'm just amazed. The beams are much more culminated with a smaller diameter reflector needed for better, narrow beam effect. Will experiment with the different reflector designs.

Will get some new pieces out. My trailer is about ready too..!

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
The powerful light will shine again soon, as I needed the room it took for other projects. Here are some of my all aluminum projects working back up to this big baby soon.
I've made deep dish reflectors too, and am fine tuning them. Hoop shape and calibration very important. I paid the machining price not realizing just how important those were.

After fine tuning several reflectors and even making a deep dish reflector to be revealed soon;, I've more or less gotten better at these aluminum reflectors
picture shows: Searchlight coming to life during daytime test

30594516741_a48bc86dca_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween

30682688465_fca29649e4_b.jpg

Beam in night rainy sky as seen from a block away

30594615121_abbe9444cf_b.jpg
Looks awesome

:cool:
Powerful beam as seen from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen for 5 miles distance.

30050759954_7edfef91a5_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween⤡

Beam from behind searchlight. Beam can be seen five miles distance or more
30048812653_4f7aa80576_b.jpg

New all Aluminum 36 inch 4,000 watt HMI Searchlight for Halloween:candle:

Powerful 380,000 lumen beam stabbing the night sky for five miles and can be seen all over town
30050731904_0d79148042_b.jpg

Beam seen close by as cars started rolling by.

Beam seen half a block away
30594479451_936b8af6b3_b.jpg

Light can be seen almost focused, yet hard to do with such hot equipment

Searchlight seen across the street warming up with color bands formed by camera interaction with 60 hertz / 120 flickers per second.

Click here to view the original image of 1376x963px.
30050770574_6d95c57bcc_h.jpg
36 inch aluminum searchlight warming up

Searchlight as seen from a couple blocks away as seen through trees and rain patterns

Click here to view the original image of 1376x980px.
30382296890_ee050c4f5b_h.jpg

Light beam looks incredible during rain...rainbows and different light patterns. :):eek:

Searchlight cooling down.

Click here to view the original image of 1376x777px.
30050782174_cce66b4cfd_k.jpg

Cooling down bulb takes about a minute to stop making any light.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. So the reflector is fiberglass with reflective Mylar .

All my original searchlights were metal framed fiberglass reflectors with a Mylar coating. All these recent ones, past year, have been made using Aluminum and polishing the reflector metal itself to a mirror, or just adding the Mylar coating to the Aluminum shape. I use Fiberglass on the outer casing to protect the electrical equipment and reduce costs of using the preferred all metal housing.

Searchlightexpert

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you buy a proper reflector from Optiforms or Phoenix so the searchlight will perform much better? That 4kW HMI bulb will never give the performance it deserve in such a homemade reflector.

I refer to the thread's title "The worlds most powerful single searchlight". That requires a lot more performance than what can be obtained from homemade components......

For instance, this searchlight here from Francis, 7kW Xenon with Ni-Rh reflector provides a throwing length of almost 37 kilometers. That can never be obtained without professional made optical solutions.

http://francis.co.uk/_includes/docs/pdf/datasheets/MOONRAKER_7KW_manual.pdf

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you buy a proper reflector from Optiforms or Phoenix so the searchlight will perform much better? That 4kW HMI bulb will never give the performance it deserve in such a homemade reflector.

I refer to the thread's title "The worlds most powerful single searchlight". That requires a lot more performance than what can be obtained from homemade components......

For instance, this searchlight here from Francis, 7kW Xenon with Ni-Rh reflector provides a throwing length of almost 37 kilometers. That can never be obtained without professional made optical solutions.

No one makes reflectors as large as I make for anything resembling a reasonable price.
I think I get good performance. People come from many miles, several towns away. . The idea is to make my stuff...not just buy it. Your Xenon light only produces 1/3 the lumen output per watt as HMI.

22784760742_b7f34d5312_k.jpg

I'm able to put complete searchlights of this magnitude for user $500 my costs. Would you be able to get to this area of price for performance at this wattage HMI.? Peace.

Last edited:

Obsessedwithlights

Newly Enlightened

No one makes reflectors as large as I make for anything resembling a reasonable price.
I think I get good performance. People come from many miles, several towns away. . The idea is to make my stuff...not just buy it. Your Xenon light only produces 1/3 the lumen output per watt as HMI.

22784760742_b7f34d5312_k.jpg

I'm able to put complete searchlights of this magnitude for user $500 my costs. Would you be able to get to this area of price for performance at this wattage HMI.? Peace.

Just wanted to say magnificent job on your light. I am truly impressed by the craftsmanship and attention to detail!

I am a new member, so I do not have the ability to direct message you. I am working on a searchlight project and I could really use some help regarding the ballast and ignitor for the HMI / MSR bulbs. I can not find any information on how to ignite and run these bulbs whether it is on this forum or searching the web.

I have a standard 19" halogen searchlight I want to upgrade the light source. I have decided that HMI or and MSR bulb would probably be the best option for me.

Thank you for any input or guidance you can give me. Keep up the great work!