There aught to be a law!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no choice but to respond to his comment which doesn't have anything to do with headlights. Your comment has nothing to do with headlights either. Stick to the topic, man.
Then i really have no choice but to suggest you to go and pound sand, and remind that you are no one to tell others what to do.
Seems like this section, more than any other, attracts types that like to police everyone around.

theory816

Newly Enlightened
Then i really have no choice but to suggest you to go and pound sand, and remind that you are no one to tell others what to do.
Seems like this section, more than any other, attracts types that like to police everyone around.
Again, you're not contributing to the thread topic. Telling me to go pound sand has nothing to do with headlights.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You're not contributing to the thread topic."

So says the guy who says they feel fine driving at night on urban streets with no lights, lmao

theory816

Newly Enlightened
"You're not contributing to the thread topic."

So says the guy who says they feel fine driving at night on urban streets with no lights, lmao
Lol hey, its still on topic. And I really do feel its fine to drive like that.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NERD FIGHT! NERD FIGHT! NERD FIGHT!

:crackup:Good grief! No wonder it takes forever to get anything done, all the eggheads argue with each other over who is the most intelligent, and who is right, and who is wrong.
You guys give STEM a bad reputation. I hope you aren't representative of the majority in STEM.

Now that everyone has been quiet for awhile, there's something that I've been wanting to say for some time now. It's on the matter of the consumer preferring "big vehicles" that have all the Greenies on this forum just apoplectic. Probably a lot of folks figured out from watching accident reports that the person driving the bigger vehicle usually fairs better than the person or persons in the smaller vehicle. I boil that down to the phrase, "the bigger vehicle wins". Having observed that, folks naturally then want a bigger vehicle for themselves and their family, to increase their odds of surviving in an accident. Now, I have no proof of this, no marketing research, no accident statistics, just my own opinion based on observations of accidents that I see reported in the news. I could be totally wrong, but this is my hunch. Then there is the fact that having a big vehicle does provide more capability. The con side is they are harder to park. I used to own a VW Rabbit, and I could sneak that thing into the smallest places, it was very maneuverable, big vehicles, not so much.

Okay, I'm done. Go back to your NERD WAR! :crackup::coffee::popcorn:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
NERD FIGHT!
You're on a flashlight forum, something the general public cannot conceive of.

It's on the matter of the consumer preferring "big vehicles"
I'm fine with consumer preference when their choices don't directly negatively impact me ala Jefferson. However as these situations involve tons of mass moving at highway speeds, individual choice does indeed have impact on others as borne out in accident, injury, and fatality figures year after year.

the person driving the bigger vehicle usually fairs better than the person or persons in the smaller vehicle.
Greater mass and larger physical dimensions generally favor the larger vehicle in such contests in an abstract big picture sense. But it's one of many factors and often dwarfed by safety design factors. And where does the zero-sum game end - when we're all in like-size / mass vehicles at the practical limits of our infrastructure?

Under-looked in the bigger vehicle safer trope is that as a consequence of their additional mass bigger vehicles carry more kinetic energy meaning more damage in a crash and more difficulty controlling them under exigent circumstances.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're on a flashlight forum, something the general public cannot conceive of.

I'm fine with consumer preference when their choices don't directly negatively impact me ala Jefferson. However as these situations involve tons of mass moving at highway speeds, individual choice does indeed have impact on others as borne out in accident, injury, and fatality figures year after year.

Greater mass and larger physical dimensions generally favor the larger vehicle in such contests in an abstract big picture sense. But it's one of many factors and often dwarfed by safety design factors. And where does the zero-sum game end - when we're all in like-size / mass vehicles at the practical limits of our infrastructure?

Under-looked in the bigger vehicle safer trope is that as a consequence of their additional mass bigger vehicles carry more kinetic energy meaning more damage in a crash and more difficulty controlling them under exigent circumstances.

theory816

Newly Enlightened
NERD FIGHT! NERD FIGHT! NERD FIGHT!

:crackup:Good grief! No wonder it takes forever to get anything done, all the eggheads argue with each other over who is the most intelligent, and who is right, and who is wrong.
You guys give STEM a bad reputation. I hope you aren't representative of the majority in STEM.

Now that everyone has been quiet for awhile, there's something that I've been wanting to say for some time now. It's on the matter of the consumer preferring "big vehicles" that have all the Greenies on this forum just apoplectic. Probably a lot of folks figured out from watching accident reports that the person driving the bigger vehicle usually fairs better than the person or persons in the smaller vehicle. I boil that down to the phrase, "the bigger vehicle wins". Having observed that, folks naturally then want a bigger vehicle for themselves and their family, to increase their odds of surviving in an accident. Now, I have no proof of this, no marketing research, no accident statistics, just my own opinion based on observations of accidents that I see reported in the news. I could be totally wrong, but this is my hunch. Then there is the fact that having a big vehicle does provide more capability. The con side is they are harder to park. I used to own a VW Rabbit, and I could sneak that thing into the smallest places, it was very maneuverable, big vehicles, not so much.

Okay, I'm done. Go back to your NERD WAR! :crackup::coffee::popcorn:
Another reason why many people buy SUVs is because they are perceived to have and will generally have more room. A modern sedan may not have enough room to feel comfortable driving for many people.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My next car is likely to be an SUV primarily so that I'll sit higher than in my car. I hate the fact that the headlights of SUVs and pickups are at my eye level.
IMG_0589.jpeg