Thermal Travel Mug

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
What's the Best Thermal Travel Mug you have found? Looking for something that will keep coffee hot for more than an hour and be leak proof. Tired of all the junk ones I have tried. Anyone found one they really like?

prof

Enlightened
Nission .

My wife gave me one years ago. It's stainless steel and lined with glass. I have used it a LOT and it still works. It's in the car right now, empty. One of my prized possessions--not expensive but has lots of meaning.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have to second the Nission. I got one years ago. Being mainly stainless steel and glass, it's pretty sturdy.

I ended up getting a Nission thermos too. It was the only one thin enough to fit in my briefcase AND secure enough to never leak.

I have no idea where we bought them.

Daniel

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've seen some plug-in thermal mugs and been tempted. Wonder if they really heat up enough? They're usually around $20.

Geoff

swampgator

Enlightened
Found a stainless steel 2 piece set in the automotive section of Walmart for 7.99 or so. Holds 24 oz and is the most leak proof cup I've used. Keeps my coffee warm for about 3 hours.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I too have been on this quest for some time now. The lastest one I have is from OXO (Good Grips) in S/S with a one hand grip push button on the top. I think this one is IT! It has not leaked on me (threw it on the carpet, shook it like crazy) and does keep the coffee hot for more than an hour. That is as long as we preheat it for a couple of minutes before pouring our hot coffee/tea/water in it. Why I like this one is that it doesn't have a handle, kind of more like a tumbler which is what I prefer. The only problem is that this one is a 14oz S/S mug. But it does the job fine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001YH1LG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Liquid Solutions is another excellent one for the price. The company claims some 24 hours hot. But I tried it and the coffee remained hot for roughly half that time. I tested it by putting it in the freezer the night before and drank the coffee hot on my break the next morning at 10AM. I'm satisfied with that.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Yeah, the OXO fits my needs perfectly. My main need is easy one handed operation. Lowes always has a bunch.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
you meant Nissan, not "Nission" right? (and they aren't 'glass lined' ) --

A rugged mug that is totally spill-proof when the top is in the locked position.
Nissan Leak-Proof Travel Mug , Model JMQ-400C
People find out the wrong way that their travel mugs are not spill-proof. Most of them are not, but should give you time enough to put them right-side-up if they tip. Well, here's one that actually is spill-proof; in fact you can clip it to the outside of your bag with the included quick-release carabiner clip, and let it take all the abuse you can dish out. It has great heat retention in the locked position: 209 f water was 178 after one hour, 152 after 2 hours -which is still very, very hot! Height 7.25", widest diameter about 3.25" not including handle. 2.75" diameter at the base.

Hotlinked pic removed...

Nissan Leak-Proof BackPack Bottle , Model JMW-500

Hotlinked pic removed...

This is really neat - a totally leak-proof bottle that is slim enough for a briefcase or backpack, and doubles as a cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

CLHC

Flashaholic
TedTheLed said:
People find out the wrong way that their travel mugs are not spill-proof. Most of them are not, but should give you time enough to put them right-side-up if they tip.
I'm with you on that! :thumbsup:

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Nissan would fit the bill. Hopefully I can find one locally but can always search the web.

Thanks

prof

Enlightened
TedTheLed said:
you meant Nissan, not "Nission" right? (and they aren't 'glass lined' ) --

Yep. and mine was advertised as glass lined when new...remember it's OLD now. They used some form of glass to insulate it. That's the reason the included brochure gave when explaining why you could not wash in a dishwasher. Now, as to what they really mean by that...well, who knows.

Sweet Marias is an awesome place to shop, by the way.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch of travel mugs, nothing special i also have one of those travel mugs that you can plug into the cig lighter, they work pretty good I appreciated it when I had to work a security watch on graduation day at a school I work at, I had just finished my shift 11am to 7pm, had time to do a few thing then back into work at 9pm that night and stayed around the campus till 6am, boy was i shot...Anyway there was hot coffee on hand!!!!

cbdudley

Enlightened
Get a Nissan - there are a couple of eBay sellers who sell factory seconds at very good prices.

I have been using them for years, and there is nothing better.

LoneRebel

Enlightened
You might try Costco. I bought a set of vaccuum sealed travel mugs from them and they work great. Keeps my coffee nice and hot for a few hours. They sell in a set of 2 for around 17.99.

Of course since its Costco, they may be gone and might never return. But its definitely worth checking out. I'm very happy with them.

dad3and3

Newly Enlightened
Must have been my lucky day. I decided on the Nissan Leak-Proof BackPack Bottle , Model JMW-500 but SweetMaria's was out. Did a search and Cabela's had them. Was going to order on line and something came up and I forgot about it. Next day I got a Cabela's $20.00 off purchase of $100.00 Gift Certificate in the mail because I have one of their credit cards. So off I went to the Cabela's in Hamburg PA. Bought 2 of them and a few other items to get to the $100 required. Also had a pair of boots to return so net net, didn't cost me anything out of pocket.

Now the review. Wow, this one really works. very easy to use one handed and it keeps the coffee steaming hot for hours. Looks like it will cut down on my coffee consumption because I just can't drink it so quickly, too hot.

Great product, little expensive, $30.00 for a coffee mug, but worth it. Plus, no more leaks when I knock it over on my desk.

Thanks for all the input.

ryball

Newly Enlightened
javafool said:
I use also use a Nissan, but I use the Nissan Leak-Proof BackPack Bottle , Model JMW-500, which I bought from Sweetmaria's.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.travelmugs-bottles.shtml

This doubles as a small Thermos bottle with a handy spout that you can drink from. They are currently out of stock at Sweetmaria's but may be available somewhere else.

That's where I got mine, too. :laughing: Do you roast?

Oh, back on topic, this is THE travel mug. There is NOTHING better. Check ebay.

Latest posts