Thermostats with variance or temp difference?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Does anyone know it there's a basic thermostat that has temperature variance, meaning that if I set my temp to say 60F if won't turn On until 57F.
>What I'm trying to do is reduce the number of On/Off cycles of my furnace<

My Honeywell is hyper sensitive and turns the furnace On if the temp drops a nano degree & turns Off it warms a nano degree,,, just toooooo many On/Off cycles.(n)

The last couple of years I manually turn Off the thermostat and let the temp drop & turn it On to get 3~4 degrees back in the house.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Spring type thermostats typically can be sensitivity adjusted with a little screw adjustment.

1671470673427.png

I think that the mercury type switches may have a sensitivity adjustment too.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I have a simple Emerson digital thermostat (80-series, #1F83C-11NP).

It's got two basic settings that alter how rapidly it'll kick-in during cycling.

1. The "cycle rate" (slow, medium, or fast) -- specifies how much temperature difference is necessary prior to activating.
  2. The "compressor lockout" -- specifies a 5-minute delay between cycles.

I've set mine to cycle=SLOW and lockout=ON. It makes a noticeable difference in reducing the frequency of the HVAC activating. Otherwise, with cycle=FAST and lockout=OFF, it'd be activating much more frequently. Personally, I'd like the ability to set the number of degrees (say, 2, 3, 4 or 5), which would delay activation but require longer cycles to bring the heat or cooling to temp. But mine has the slow/med/fast setting.

I'm sure that many thermostats have these types of controls.

bykfixer

Flashaholic