Thin, pocketable, tactical EDC

hatman

Enlightened
For those who may be unaware, Spyderco says it soon will issue FFG versions of the Delica and the Endura, with handles offered in four colors, but not including black.

This should make for a thinner blade than the current saber versions.

CDS

Newly Enlightened
If fast deployment is a priority, I would Highly recommend the spiderko endura wave.

I have mostly Benchmades in my collection, but the endura wave opens "with a little practice" as fast as any knife. Its not as beautiful as my benchmades, but find my self carrying it because its engendered to open as well or better than any other knife that I have owned or handled. I cant quote its dimensions but it is more narrow than most of my knives of its length. If speed of deployment is not your primary concern, My favorite tactical EDC is my benchmade 950 Rift "plain edge". If your an admixture sharpener, Buy, and use a Spyderko tri angular sharping kit.

Hope that helps.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
If fast deployment is a priority, I would Highly recommend the spiderko endura wave.
Thanks, CDS. I have carried an Endura in my hip pocket for a few months now. That's a regular Endura, not the Emerson wave. I tried my (regular) Endrua in my right front pocket, but I saw too much blade flashing so I moved it to the back pocket where a wave doesn't really help (as much).
My favorite tactical EDC is my benchmade 950 Rift "plain edge".
That knife looks like its blade is about the same length as the Endura. The Rift's 154CM blade is probably a little harder than my Endura's blade. The Rift seems about an ounce heavier, and the ads I see say it is tip-up only. Do you know of a clip for tip-down carry of a Rift?

Thanks,
Steve

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
I've just gotta 2-cents it.....even though the OP mentioned a sub $100 tac EDC, I was looking for the same 2 years ago, and ended up spending a tad extra at my local shop on a Benchmade 940 plain tanto. It was about $140, and to this day I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

It's so much an EDC for me now that I feel uncomfortable when I go out without it, or forget it at home in haste. Twice I've "lost it" and set a 7-day limit to find it before I overnight a new one. It's incredibly strong, very thin, the wrist-flip one hand action is absolute butter.

Benchmade also has a factory-resharpening program that I'm about to try out....pretty cheap too....$5 for first knife, $2.50 for each additional one....
http://www.benchmade.com/about_knives/lifesharp_service.asp

SnazzyB

Newly Enlightened
I'd also recommend the Cold Steel Large Voyager with the plain edge tanto 4" blade. The XL has a 5" blade for a bit more. Both are a lot of knife with very little weight.

A friend sent me a Kershaw Blitz with a 3" blade. I was going to find a home for it since I like between a 3 3/4" - 5" blade for EDC. He convinced me to try it. I am way impressed! Scary sharp, excellent fit and finish, solid non-aggressive texturing on the handle offers a good comfortable grip, the clip rides high so the knife rides low in the pocket, and it still feels substantial enough to wave at my neighbor's dogs! And, you can pick these up on eBay for about $30.00.

I am very fond of my Spyderco Endura 4s, but they take a knack to open without using the thumbholes.

I have a CRKT McGinnis Summa that is long and lean with a 3 3/4" blade. Great knife for around forty bucks.

frosty976

Newly Enlightened
I stopped my search after I got a SOG Trident Tanto in black TiNi. The blade material is AUS-8, I use it daily and haven't had to sharpen it past a couple wipes on some fine rods since purchase. It has an assisted opening, super strong axis-type lock, and safety. It can also cut seat-belts/rope without having to deploy the blade (by a recess in handle). Has grooves for holding in utility or combat grips. You mentioned tactical, it's extremely dark, sharp-reinforced piercing point, and deploys assisted with a muffled low-click (not snappy click like some others I've owned):
http://sogknives.com/store/TF-7.html

The company I purchase my gear is constantly out of stock with it, as it's popular, but I found it online at these stores:
http://www.buysog.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=TF7
http://www.bladehq.com/item--TF7-SOG-Trident-Knife--1033

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kershaw stainless handle knives are some of the thinnest knife I've ever handled, shallot is about the size you want.

Delica and Enduras are not thin at all, those saber grinds are FAT. I always have to reprofile them...

I believe we are talking about handles, not blades...

CDS

Newly Enlightened
I know this knife blows your $100 limit by $30, but my favorite tip down in your category, by far is my Benchmade mini-DejaVoo. If you can spend $130 I think you might have found your knife. S30v and a functional piece of art if you ask me. A truly beautiful, functional knife for the money.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I know this knife blows your $100 limit by $30, but my favorite tip down in your category, by far is my Benchmade mini-DejaVoo. If you can spend $130 I think you might have found your knife. S30v and a functional piece of art if you ask me. A truly beautiful, functional knife for the money.
I see what you mean. The pictures on the Internet make the DejaVoo very attractive. I brief search shows some full size DejaVoo knives under $120. I'm enjoying a used (abused? (before I got it)) Spyderco Endura 4, but now I want to carry a DejaVoo for a while. Thanks for the suggestion.

SnazzyB

Newly Enlightened
Snazzy, the next time you log in, you'll need to log in as SnazzyB .

I would prefer just "Snazzy" (If available) if the forum doesn't want to use the username they initially accepted (and I do understand).

I was unable to PM Empath and apologize for hijacking the thread!

tokerblue

Newly Enlightened
I carried a Benchmade Kulgera for several years as my main EDC. It's very thin, light and has an Axis lock. IMO, it's one of the best locks on the market. My EDC is now an Emerson CQC-10, but it's not a thin or light knife by any means.

Cpt. Thomas

Newly Enlightened
The Endura & Military are a good blade, the CS Voyager as well and comes in several sizes with PE or SE and I have two of them. The Kershaw Shallot is very thin and lightening fast. The Al Mar Eagle Classic or light weight with Talon blades are a real "Class act".

You won't go wrong with any of them. I own all of these, some of them more than one and my CS XL Voyager and Al Mar have seen blood more than once so be assured they will take care of you.

Cpt. Thomas

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I carried a Benchmade Kulgera for several years as my main EDC.
I had not noticed this knife before. It's a little shorter than my Spyderco Endura and about 15% lighter -- which is pretty impressive since the Endura is already fairly light. However, I'm used to keeping my knife clipped in my right rear pocket where tip down feels a lot more natural to me. The Kulgera seems to clip tip up only. Still, the rest of its features are impressive enough that I may get one when I have enough spare change to buy it and have a custom clip installed.

Thanks,
Steve

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
The Al Mar Eagle Classic or light weight with Talon blades are a real "Class act".
Thanks for the reference. I'm learning a lot from this thread. Al Mar's lightweight Eagle is just over half the weight of a Spyderco Endura while carrying a slightly longer blade. This looks like another one to get when I have enough spare change. It will need a custom clip for tip-down carry, but the rest of the package looks very impressive. The lock on the Eagle looks unusual. How did you like it?

hatman

Enlightened
Gonna be hard to beat the Spydies in terms of cost.

Take a look at the SOG Twitch I or II. Both extremely slim and smooth.

FWIW -- I don't find my Twitch I all that easy to open or close. Every once and a while, I take it out to play with, but it quickly goes back into its box.