Thinking of getting a new compact camera...

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I like my Sony Wx-100 (very small-fits in a shirt pocket. 10x super zoom with +I auto modes, 3d stills/3d panorama/3d sweep in mpo file. Takes 1080i/60i avchd video, and is a great all in one media device.) Also, I have a Samsung stb w150, a Fuji fine pix real 3d- Digital autostereoscopic 10 megapixel camera- takes .mpo, and 3d AVI. And a Sony T99 cybershot digcam with 3inch touchscreen.

ibcj

Enlightened
I have been through many cameras and formats (full frame, crop dslr sensors, micro four thirds and point and shoots), and recently picked up the Sony RX100. It is an incredibly small point and shoot sized camera with a larger sensor that any other point and shoot. It comes with a Zeiss (branded) lens that shoots at f/1.8. It is an amazing camera in such a small package. It is more expensive than your typically p&s, but to me at least, it is worth it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have been through many cameras and formats (full frame, crop dslr sensors, micro four thirds and point and shoots), and recently picked up the Sony RX100. It is an incredibly small point and shoot sized camera with a larger sensor that any other point and shoot. It comes with a Zeiss (branded) lens that shoots at f/1.8. It is an amazing camera in such a small package. It is more expensive than your typically p&s, but to me at least, it is worth it.
How is this camera for low light without flash? I've only found one brand so far that did well, even in light that I could hardly see in, yet was able to capture the image. Unfortunately it was one of the incredibly breakable Ricoh.

ibcj

Enlightened
How is this camera for low light without flash? I've only found one brand so far that did well, even in light that I could hardly see in, yet was able to capture the image. Unfortunately it was one of the incredibly breakable Ricoh.

For a compact p&s, it is very good. It is still a p&s with a relatively small sensor compared to M43, dslr or dslr full frame.

samuraishot

Enlightened
I like to have a camera with me all the time and gave up my SLR years ago in exchange for wearing a pouch on my belt that assures I can always take a picture. One of the biggest problems with non-protruding lens super compacts like I carry though is the lack of glass, which makes them very weak in area of 'light collection' and none of the super compacts I've tried has been able to work well in the dark.

Compacts using a lens that telescopes out of the camera body do much better in very low light situations though and going with some of the better compact cameras with more glass, I've seen some excellent results out of manufacturers like Ricoh and the Panasonic Lumix series, which will easily get you into a 10x optical zoom and the ability to shoot virtually in the dark.

I've got a Ricoh GRD IV and couldn't be happier :D People are amazed when they look at the Ricoh files and find out it's from a P&S.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
get sony rx100 is price isn't an issue, else nikon p310 and you're not too demanding of the camera

move step up with nikon j1, still a bigger sensor than a point n shoot but still half the size of a micro-4/3 camera but you do get super fast AF, super fast burst, slow-motion video. but UI isn't suited for "serious" photography, and you won't get as much BOKEH

micro-4/3. pretty large sensor, just a bit smaller than aps-c. these are more suited for "serrious" photography. good lens selection.

sony NEX. these have aps-c sensors, larger than micro-4/3, this is a DSLR sized sensor

kennethsross

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the Sony RX100. As soon as I can find an excuse that I can give to our family CFO, I will be buying a Sony RX100. Until then, my S90 (predecessor to the S95 /S100 mentioned elsewhere in this thread) will be my constant companion. When I have the luxury of baggage, my EOS 7D + lenses comes along for the ride.

Greatguns

Newly Enlightened
Having lost a Nikon CP5000 to water damage from a leaky tent, and a Nikon CP7700 to water damage while shooting video in the rain, I've pretty much decided that my next camera will be a Nikon AW1. Interchangeable lenses, waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, GPS, etc.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
A Fujifine pix XP 200, or a Sony all weather pocket Handicam Gr77. I own both and love them! Or if your on a budget a Canon Sx160 budget camera with long zoom, 16x, decent 720p video with optic stabilizer. Its a bit slow, but makes up by taking very pictures, and videos. 100.00$ for the Canon at Wal-Mart.