Thinking of making a moon blaster!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no! Dang, that broken lead is likely going to be the end of that lamp's usefulness. Maybe one of BVH's suggestions will work but I am thinking the same as him in that you won't be able to reliably reattach that lead. We feel your pain. :(

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input BVH, most appreciated.

The lead wire is quite rigid and tough, it broke off as I was trying to wiggle the lamp out of the glass reflector.

I like your crimping idea and I might have to figure something out in regards to that although i did get a great idea in trying to wedge the wire in between 2 metal washers and a nut and bold and have that sit on top of the bulb, while i salvage more lead wire and have it held down into one of the connectors on the ceramic base holder.

I will try and figure something out.

With the blitz, it does have a great looking lens on the front, i'm just thinking, if i were to remove the lens, would it affect the throw, as it looks like a decently thick lends, alsmost aspherical or magnifying if that makes sense.

What if i had a parabolic reflector made out of a metal and replaced the lense with a glass type??

Obviously that would cost big bucks and is it worth it.

Once again thanks for your input BVH....

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
mr. tone

where there's a will, theres a way...

the way that lead wire is connected from the factory, it looks so tedious, like it would detach so easily in the first place.

the lamp still works.

i'll figure something out boys.

I cant imagine removing the bulb out of the reflector and not diconnecting that lead wire.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
quick update

I managed to insert the p-vip 120/132w bulb into the reflector of the blitz and power it up.

Without securing it or any real adjustments apart from discovering where approximately i need to fix it, OH MY, i've never seen just powerful throw!...

Sorry i couldnt get any pics, i've been flat out!!!!

Over the next couple of days I'm going to try and cement putty the bulb into place so It sits centre, although the beam was distorted, it was really nice to see.

Hopefully get some pics up soon, see how we go.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Pictures paint a thousand words.

It was a bit of a rush job, and i made do with what i had, but its fits, works and is producing light.

I thought previously that i wanted to focus on making it more professional and cleaner, but with the limit on time and eagerness to get the light sorted was a factor in it being the slight mess that its in, but i'm quite happy.

Because i live in a complex of townhouses, my neighbour who is usually friendly and likes to have a chat, complained about the light entering his door, which made me slightly upset as there was hardly any spill for it to enter into his house. But then again i could be wrong.

My family thinks that I should be careful regarding police in which i agree making sure that there were no planes or the sort in the sky.

Tonight is cloudy so there is cloud bounce but not as intense a cloud bounce as I hoped.

I did shine the light on my white ceiling to gauge the spot and it shows an intense spot with a starry outer, i'm thinking it has something to do with the reflector possibly not being of quality.

enjoy the pictures.

IMG_5123.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg
IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics! Now I see how you made the lead work. Do you have anywhere in a rural area to let her rip so you don't have to worry about offending your neighbor?

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Nice pics! Now I see how you made the lead work. Do you have anywhere in a rural area to let her rip so you don't have to worry about offending your neighbor?

Yes.

Once i mount the pcbs into the enclosure, i will take her for a rap somewhere where its open. :D

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
update, i wanted to tai some more beam shots but stupid me left the inverter running without the heatsink side panel on the mosphets and what do you know, boom!

There goes my inverter. so i go to RS Australia to get some mosphets, replaced the blown mosphet, and again BOOM. So yeh, me being a wannabe PCB repairer, unfortunately i'm not, I've had to re-order a cheap inverter from China...

Now the waiting game, 20 - 30 days before it arrives. Although, i did get some cool looking switches for the enclosure...

waterproof_momentary_or_latching_led_illuminated_push.jpg

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are cool. That's too bad on your electronics problem. Hopefully you will get her up and running again.

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
In your last pic of the potted lamp, you may have potted the lamp too far up the seal. That length is needed for the amount of temperature transition the quartz glass can withstand from the envelope to the base. Seems to work, but if you have a leakage or a pop, this would be the reason.

The star you see is from a reflector with inaccurate parabolic reflection. Even if the reflector was formed nearly perfect, bending it beyond it's elasticity will permanently deform it making the star pattern, so thinner reflectors tend to do this. It takes extremely small deviation to make the star pattern. This is exactly why a thick nickel substrate is used for optical grade reflectors.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
Yes I might get you to give me some advice when potting the new bulb into the Thor.

Also, i had an e-mail reply from Neal Elli from Empireprecision.com regarding a aluminium mirror reflector that will withstand the heat. He wouldnt elaborate too much although he did mention i would need to submit a drawing.... So now i'm thinking Jesus Christ, a drawing? hahah great, i mean i used to good at technical drawing about 15 years ago in High School...

As i am still into the stages of researching which reflector i should opt for, your wealth of information get-lit is fantastic, and i appreciated your advice its absolutely great that you're helping me i can't thank you enough.

Just waiting for funds for the Thor, finish my moon blaster is also still in its stages.

UNiT5

Newly Enlightened
IMG_5138.jpg

clear night shot, but could do with setting my camera a little better.

my brother was at his fiances house and could see the beam from 6kms away. it was cloud bouncing from 6kms away. so cant wait to see what the rival maxablaster will acheive!

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
TL;DR: maybe try making a DIY wire welder using a disposable camera?

A bit late to the party, but folks trying to rebuild e-cig coil heads on the cheap found that they needed a way to weld non-resistive wire to the kanthal or nichrome heating wire. Instead of buying a $2 coilhead, you can rebuild for the cost of a small amount of resistance wire, wick material, and a wire welder. Well, hard to find a cheap wire welder when you are going out of your way to save a few bucks. http://breaktru.com/smf/index.php?topic=733.0 < has some info on how that project started and is going. I don't follow it greatly, I just remember hearing about using disposable cameras for welding NR wire for rebuilding e-cig coil heads. The wire gauge they deal with is ~26-34 ga