THOR HID Adapter Ring - who can make some?

theepdinker

Enlightened
I'll send one to twentysixtwo to check fit & focus.
Otherwise you're asking for an untried piece.
I can't promise it'll fit till we try it.

Theepdinker

Tweek

Enlightened
Hmm, if this ends up working well, count me in for one, I finally picked up a Thor yesterday... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris

theepdinker

Enlightened
FYI
Samples Sent to twentysixtwo probably halfway to him.
A few more days & we'll know what's what. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Received the 4 samples in the mail today!!! I'm dead tired, but couldn't wait to test them out.

I have a couple of D1S and D2s bulbs, so I tested them out on both. All fit the Philips base (no raised collar) perfectly. Then I test the Osram(raised collar). It doesn't sit down all the way. The culprit is the smallest diameter of the ring. I measure the outside of ring #1 - it's 0.96", while the inside of the ring is....0.96". I try all four and #1 will in fact slide all the way down if I push it (medium effort) None of the other 3 will go all the way down. Looks like I should have added a skosh more to the ID - this is not a critical ID, it's strictly for clearance. If I sand the inside of #1, it'll be a smooth fit, the other 3 will have to be used on the Philips bulbs...

As far as fitting into the Thor reflector, they all fit fine (primary dimension is overall OD - specified as 1.69")

Now to test focus. One by one I put them in and shoot the ceiling. They all seem dead on, but I shot some pix to compare. I won't be suprised if the paint peels there, my eyes are still seeing spots.

I look at the four pictures, and after about 5 minutes, I can't pick a clear winner. The focus on all four is identical. However, as I play with the reflector, I am able to improve the focus by lifting it up ever so slightly. I think the amount is about .025". This would be added to the 0.235 dimension so it would be 0.26 instead.

I'll confirm in a little bit

Wayne - I'm emailing you some pix...Yitah

theepdinker

Enlightened
So I need to increase the ID by a couple of thousandths.
Increase the height to the inner step to .26".
Keep the OD as is.

Total thickness? Keep it the same? Increase to compensate for step increase? Is it a factor?

Theepdinker

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
First off, big thanks, great job, these work exactly as I imagined.

For clarity I'll call the dimensions ID1, ID2, OD, Thickness, Step Height.

ID1 should be 0.98 (was 0.96) it's strictly a clearance so as long as it's not smaller than 0.96000, you're ok. (After a light sand sample ring #1 fit perfectly)

ID2 unchanged at 1.26 - All four sample rings were a good fit. This is a reference dimension and controls bulb position in the adapter side-side.

OD unchanged at 1.69 - all four sample rings were a good fit. This is a reference diameter and controls adapter position in the THOR reflector side-side.

Thickness is unchanged at 0.335" - all four samples were fine. This is NOT a critical dimension, though if too short, the collar for ID2 will not function well.

Step Height should be 0.26" (was 0.235) This is a critical dimension and controls in-out focus of the bulb. A perfect focus would actually be just a hair taller, but due to anticipated variation in reflectors, bulbs, and adapters, I think 0.26 should be the target since it's easier to shim a layer of tape than sand down the same amount. Note that I could not see any difference in the focus on the four sample rings.

I've finished my THOR HID Mod, with the adapter ring, it's trivial to throw a few zip ties on the bulb to hold it VERY securely to the reflector.

p.s. P.L.M.K. if you want me to send these sample rings back, otherwise they can be the four I wanted.

p.p.s. My email to you bounced, looks like yer mailbox is full. I'll post some pictures here tonight.

theepdinker

Enlightened
twentysixtwo consider your suggestions for improvements done.

That was pretty smooth.

So was the Hid system that landed in my lap overnight.
I converted one of my Thors to HID with it today.

While I was at it I made an improvement to the original ring.
I milled two spots that allowed me to use the original bulb retainning wire.
While this won't work for all bulb & bulb holder combinations, it will work with many.
If it dosn't work for your setup it will give you access to points you can use to wire or zip tie the bulb in place.

Looks like time to post in B/S/T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Theepdinker