Thought I'd lost a light

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Had a hard time getting to sleep last night (Thursday) after getting home from our mini road trip this week. I unloaded all my pockets and couldn't see my Rovyvon A3 flashlight, normally clipped to my Leatherman Squirt and pocket pen.

Thinks I to myself "Right, I was going to keep it in my PJ pocket last night (Wednesday) in case I needed a light in the middle of the night." (no bedside table full of flashlights in the hotel). Go to luggage, find laundry bag with PJs in it, search pockets, can't find light.

"Darn it", I think (paraphrasing), "Maybe it's fallen out of my pocket in the car I'll have to search the car in the morning. " Further thought....I wasn't digging in my right front upper cargo pants pocket while riding in the car. So it couldn't have fallen there.

Thinks some more.

Oh no.

Thursday afternoon, I had taken the Squirt and related accessories out to anchor our travel mascot Mr. Bill when taking a picture at the Inglis grain elevator row! The A3 must have come out of my pocket unnoticed then, for some reason not securely clipped to the rest of the pocket junk.

I'll have to drive back 375 km to Inglis and search the grass in front of the Patterson grain elevator.

No, that's crazy, it's middle of the night...call the museum in the morning and ask them to search the grounds for the stray flashlight. Also crazy.

Oh well, buy another one...but I won't get the good price deal that sparked this purchase.

Further thinking. Wednesday night I ruled out the pajama pocket plan on the grounds that it might fall out and I wouldn't notice it. Instead I clipped it to my "man purse" (Remora) with a Grimloc, so it would be easy to find next to the bed if needed, but secure against loss in the blankets.

Return to living room, find the Remora and sure enough found the A3 clipped securely to the front of it. Return to bed in triumph. I'd felt like a 4 year old who'd lost his teddy bear. I actually held onto it for a few minutes so I wouldn't be stuck in the endless chain of search/replacement scenarios that would have been fruitlessly replaying in my head. After that I was able to get to sleep.

That was about 15 minutes worth of roller-coaster emotions I could have done without. It probably would have gone better had I not started the search at 1 AM after a very long day in the car. I just hate losing stuff this way. Haven't been this frustrated since my sliver-gripper tweezers disappeared for about 18 months after packing them for a trip and not searching all the bags properly afterward.

(And the Olight S2R also came on this trip and served as night light in a hotel room that lacked this convenience.)

Bill

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
To prevent this is why I carry my lights in pouches that have a securable flap.
Cargo pants and flashlights go together like...peas and carrots? A different pocket for each light. If I leave a light in a jacket pocket, I make sure it's a pocket I can zip closed...saves a lot of driving back to look for missing lights afterward.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Such a human predicament so many of us have experienced. Excellent wording.

Now we know that there is an Inglis Grain Elevators National Historic Site photo op waiting to be had.
Used to be a standard Prairie town was a grain elevator, a CoOp store, a Mountie detachment and a Chinese restaurant. A lot of those booming towns of 100 years ago are now just historical site plaques by the side of the highway. The Inglis elevator row is the last survivor of that era.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cargo pants and flashlights go together like...peas and carrots? A different pocket for each light. If I leave a light in a jacket pocket, I make sure it's a pocket I can zip closed...saves a lot of driving back to look for missing lights afterward.
Well I ruined a pair of 5.11 pants with a Fenix that accidentally turned on in my pocket. It is a solution but not a very good one.