Thoughts on high CRI

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 219b is really something special. It really does reproduce colors in a peculiar way that is more like sunshine than anything else.

I have a light with a 5000k NW XPL and x4 5000k 219c and compared to the 219b they both had this almost exaggerated presentation of the red specrum because it can't properly represent the higher end of red's wavenlengths (going into orange).

The 219b is the most surreal and sublime LED out there.
I agree that the 4500K 219B remains the gold standard for high CRI, with its lovely rosy tint.

However, I no longer use any of my 219b lights. I find the output is far too low compared to modern emitters to make it worthwhile.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the 4500K 219B remains the gold standard for high CRI, with its lovely rosy tint.

I'm no expert on bin numbers but I have some 219's that are rosy and others are a plain neutral yellow, much like a neutral cree. I prefer the latter. The CRI is outstanding and the output is sufficient for my needs.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't purchased a non hi cri light in years and never will. I find hi cri extremely relevant.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do some people who like these warm CCT, hi CRI emitters with the rosy tint, also wear blueblocker sunglasses during the day? I found a cheap pair deep in a forest and the cast these put on things kind of remind me of some Nichia (in a way).

Nubo

Enlightened
I find a higher CRI helps me process visual information faster and that's important to me when using a light for bicycling where you are moving fast and need to distinguish surface conditions and identify debris and other dangers as quickly and accurately as possible. Color is information.

I think some people are more color-oriented than others, which might explain why some folks insist on high CRI and others think it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find a higher CRI helps me process visual information faster and that's important to me when using a light for bicycling where you are moving fast and need to distinguish surface conditions and identify debris and other dangers as quickly and accurately as possible. Color is information.

I think some people are more color-oriented than others, which might explain why some folks insist on high CRI and others think it doesn't matter.

I find the 80 CRI Cree emitters fine for cycling at night. I use a Zebralight SC600w MkIV Plus, which is a 4500K 80 CRI Cree XHP50.2 emitter. The greater efficiency is important to me, as this will run at 700 (regulated) lumens for about 3 hours. A high CRI Nichia 219 emitter light would require me to change batteries part way though a ride, which is annoying. Or use less lumens, which doesn't provide enough light for me, at least on gravel roads and paths.

I do insist on a decent CRI, because yes it is important. I won't use low CRI cool white LEDs, because they don't have enough colour rendition to pick out rocks or debris that is a similar colour to the road. That's a problem with the CCT as much as the CRI, but I digress. 80 CRI neutral white is good enough for me.

I really only insist on high CRI for things that require accurate colour rendition, such as looking at skin or the colours of electrical wires. That only requires a modest output of maybe a hundred lumens. I do have a high CRI Nichia 219 light that puts out about 2000 lumens, but it gets so bloody hot so quickly it's really useless at that level.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the 80 CRI Cree emitters fine for cycling at night. I use a Zebralight SC600w MkIV Plus, which is a 4500K 80 CRI Cree XHP50.2 emitter. The greater efficiency is important to me, as this will run at 700 (regulated) lumens for about 3 hours. A high CRI Nichia 219 emitter light would require me to change batteries part way though a ride, which is annoying. Or use less lumens, which doesn't provide enough light for me, at least on gravel roads and paths.

I do insist on a decent CRI, because yes it is important. I won't use low CRI cool white LEDs, because they don't have enough colour rendition to pick out rocks or debris that is a similar colour to the road. That's a problem with the CCT as much as the CRI, but I digress. 80 CRI neutral white is good enough for me.

I really only insist on high CRI for things that require accurate colour rendition, such as looking at skin or the colours of electrical wires. That only requires a modest output of maybe a hundred lumens. I do have a high CRI Nichia 219 light that puts out about 2000 lumens, but it gets so bloody hot so quickly it's really useless at that level.
I feel exactly the same way. 80 CRI neutral white is good enough for almost everything. I only use high-CRI when I'm doing something that absolutely requires the best possible color definition (like hobby painting).

Latest posts