Thrunite Catapult V5 (XM-L2, 2x18650 4xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, here is an additional outdoor beamshot with and without the diffuser in place.

CatV5-Diff.gif

CatV5-Diffz.gif

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the neutral version really the same 1500 lumens on turbo? I'm starting to think this might be my next light purchase. Such a beast build-wise. Kind of disappointing though that there isn't a 10-20 lumen low mode. The diffuser is really nice.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Is the neutral version really the same 1500 lumens on turbo? I'm starting to think this might be my next light purchase. Such a beast build-wise. Kind of disappointing though that there isn't a 10-20 lumen low mode. The diffuser is really nice.
It could be, if they are able to source neutral white tints in the same output bin as their cool white. Typically, most neutral whites are ~1 output bin lower. But it is possible to see neutral lights with the same output as cool white models.

markeday

Newly Enlightened
I bought the TN 30,32 and 35 and their all nice lights.But if I had to do it again,I would just buy the V5,With the diffuser this thing is a spotlight and floodlight all in one,I love it.It is my favorite light at this point,it would be nice to have a low mode,like 5 lumen but oh well,with the cr123 option to use if needed,I would say this light is the perfect emergency,camping,nightly walk light.Anyone looking at it comparing it to the barracuda or olight m3x,got all them to,the v5 is the best in my opinion.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I bought the TN 30,32 and 35 and their all nice lights.But if I had to do it again,I would just buy the V5,With the diffuser this thing is a spotlight and floodlight all in one,I love it.
Thanks for adding the perspective. Yes, it does just go to show what a well-designed diffuser cover can do to enhance the value of a light.

seresphile

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where to buy it? Even on thrunite's own web site it's not available.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
Thanks for adding the perspective. Yes, it does just go to show what a well-designed diffuser cover can do to enhance the value of a light.
I got a diffuser with my Eagletac MX25L3 and used it a few times. I'm not really convinced they're a great idea or at least it failed to impress on that light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I got a diffuser with my Eagletac MX25L3 and used it a few times. I'm not really convinced they're a great idea or at least it failed to impress on that light.
The value of a diffuser often depends on how throwy a light is, and how narrow the spillbeam. It definitely makes a huge difference to the Cataput V5. I wouldn't consider it as essential for the MX25L3 MT-G2 version (although could be more useful on the XM-L2 version)

Charles L.

Enlightened
I have the original Catapult, still love it with the diffuser. Seresphile, are you in the U.S.? Ebay has several listed.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I have the original Catapult, still love it with the diffuser. Seresphile, are you in the U.S.? Ebay has several listed.
I bought the V3 for my nephew in New Zealand. He will probably mount it on his .243. I'm impressed with it has the same emitter as the V5.

seresphile

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I'm in US. I just searched on eBay and did not see any listed. I also saw a few nasty review comments on thrunite's own web site. This got me thinking maybe they have production issues? I have the Nitecore MT40 now, so thought the Catapult is a worthy upgrade (double the lumen). Also considering Olight M3X, but does not seem to have enough lumen & throw (over MT40) for an upgrade. All other higher output lights seem to have worse price/performance ratio.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have the Nitecore MT40 now, so thought the Catapult is a worthy upgrade (double the lumen). Also considering Olight M3X, but does not seem to have enough lumen & throw (over MT40) for an upgrade. All other higher output lights seem to have worse price/performance ratio.
The M3X certainly is a large throw upgrade over the MT40, as shown in my output measures in the review:

CatV5-FL1-Summary1.gif

The Cat V5 does have higher overall output, and a narrower spill beam, so it will appear brighter in the foreground. But if you are looking for throw at a distance, I would consider the M3X to be pretty equivalent to the V5.

seresphile

Newly Enlightened
The M3X certainly is a large throw upgrade over the MT40, as shown in my output measures in the review:

CatV5-FL1-Summary1.gif

The Cat V5 does have higher overall output, and a narrower spill beam, so it will appear brighter in the foreground. But if you are looking for throw at a distance, I would consider the M3X to be pretty equivalent to the V5.
Thanks, SB. Maybe I over-read the importance of Max Output (1,500 vs. MT40's 730) for what I'm looking for (throw @ distance). Just pulled the trigger on M3X due to your comments. Thanks!!

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
With lights throw is as much focus as power. Generally the bigger and deeper the reflector the tighter it can focus the beam. A bigger light with bigger heat sink can also run cooler for a given output which means you can increase the current. I have the v3 which put out 1500 lumens and the TN32 which puts out 1700 but the throw of the TN32 is much greater due to the reflector depth and it has a huge brass heat sink.

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one of these beasts in neutral white. I tried to buy one about a year ago and they were not available. I like the idea of have one very study, solid light that can take some impact, and the UI seems perfect for me if it functions as it should. I'll know in a few days!

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I got my light today, and wow! It is just as I was hoping for. A beautiful, solid piece of equipment. Long throw, but enough spill to make it a reasonable all around light for walking trails and general lighting on the lower settings. I have another thrower that has such a narrow beam, that it is really just a novelty light. I really like the UI on this. Only been out on one long walk with the dogs, but no miss steps with selecting intensities. And I love that I can easily get instant strobe from off or any on mode. The strobe, plus the heavy build and shape and bezel make this quite the potential deterrent to bad guys or aggressive coyotes (my dog got attacked a few days ago) or other critters. I would not want to receive 1500 lumens of strobe, or a rap on the head from that head. I got the neutral white ($50.00 more for some reason) and it is nice, a hint greenish, but nothing like the OLight M2X-UT I have. The only thing I wish it had is one more lower mode. 80 is the lowest, and 40 or so would be a nice addition, although the included diffuser helps mellow the intensity.
Anyway, I am stoked. I'm surprised these aren't more popular...

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
PS- Just a note, there are a couple of small changes to the light as compared to the one Selfbuilt reviewed.

The standby/power indicator led between the switches is now actually in the center of each switch. Doesn't really affect anything.

The tailcap threads ARE anodized for lockout and a 1/4 twist shuts down the light completely. I like that.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear, I see there is a xpl version too, but less power ? Thought that was strange....