Thrunite Lynx (1x18650, XM-L2) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Wait, I don't have the Lynx. Am I misunderstanding what you wrote? Are you saying that with the Lynx, in order to change between modes when the light is On, you have to first, turn it Off before rotating the knob and then turning it On again in the new mode?

With all the other lights (Scorpion & T10), you could pre-stage another mode, eg. if I turned the light on to the user definable mode set to low/medium, with the light On, I could rotate the knob to pre-stage the Momentary Strobe (or Momentary Maximum) and if I needed it, just hit the button and it would immediately switch to the pre-staged mode.

Max

bluemax_1

Enlightened
This just gave me an interesting idea:

I wonder if it would be possible to implement the tailcap rotary selector with a forward clicky as opposed to the magnetic reverse clicky?

Make entering the programming mode via something like 3-4 quick half-presses.

This could be the Ultimate interface! You would only need 3-4 user programmable modes and ALL of them would have the option of momentary with a partial press, or constant with a full click.

That way I could program a Maximum, Strobe and a Low/Medium and be able to half-press for momentary, or full click for constant. With a triple or quad click to enter the programming mode, there's no danger of inadvertently altering the mode you're currently in unintentionally.

Max

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
This just gave me an interesting idea:

I wonder if it would be possible to implement the tailcap rotary selector with a forward clicky as opposed to the magnetic reverse clicky?

Make entering the programming mode via something like 3-4 quick half-presses.

This could be the Ultimate interface! You would only need 3-4 user programmable modes and ALL of them would have the option of momentary with a partial press, or constant with a full click.

That way I could program a Maximum, Strobe and a Low/Medium and be able to half-press for momentary, or full click for constant. With a triple or quad click to enter the programming mode, there's no danger of inadvertently altering the mode you're currently in unintentionally.

Max

THAT!!, would be a great way to select what you want, where you want it. High/low, fast/slow, whatever.
By looking at the tailcap/selector assy. It might be simple to make it 'click'. Then with new software to flash the existing controller, this could work, without a lot of R & D investment. Good Idea.
Rick

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
Wait, I don't have the Lynx. Am I misunderstanding what you wrote? Are you saying that with the Lynx, in order to change between modes when the light is On, you have to first, turn it Off before rotating the knob and then turning it On again in the new mode?

With all the other lights (Scorpion & T10), you could pre-stage another mode, eg. if I turned the light on to the user definable mode set to low/medium, with the light On, I could rotate the knob to pre-stage the Momentary Strobe (or Momentary Maximum) and if I needed it, just hit the button and it would immediately switch to the pre-staged mode.

Max

Opps, almost missed this post.
Let me clairify. Let's say i'm in momentary, and while holding the button in, switch to strobe. It will switch, but you have to let off the button, or it will ramp. If in a USM (user selectable mode), turn to the next mode, you have to stab the button to complete the change.
Get this, if in USM (on) and you turn to momentary and push and hold the button, it will switch. Let off, your back to the pevious mode. To turn it off, go back to any of the USM's and hit the button.
A little funky. Forward clicky in one position, then reverse clicky in the others, then throw in ramping. To much thinking about going on here to change modes and which direction the button is going to be working in.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Opps, almost missed this post.
Let me clairify. Let's say i'm in momentary, and while holding the button in, switch to strobe. It will switch, but you have to let off the button, or it will ramp. If in a USM (user selectable mode), turn to the next mode, you have to stab the button to complete the change.
Get this, if in USM (on) and you turn to momentary and push and hold the button, it will switch. Let off, your back to the pevious mode. To turn it off, go back to any of the USM's and hit the button.
A little funky. Forward clicky in one position, then reverse clicky in the others, then throw in ramping. To much thinking about going on here to change modes and which direction the button is going to be working in.

Wow. Yeah, that's too confusing especially under stress.

If they could implement my idea of the rotary knob + forward clicky with a triple/quad tap to enter programming mode, with the ability to partial press for momentary or full click for constant in all positions, I'd be perfectly happy with just 3 programmable modes.

In fact, for a tactical or LEO duty light, that would be ideal. I would set it to Maximum on one end, Strobe on the other and a low/medium in the middle. That way, it's a simple 'crank full clockwise for Maximum', or 'crank fully counterclockwise for Strobe' under stress. The low/medium I can take the extra second to select.

And folks who actually want a light this large for firefly (and the numerous folks who have no use for Tactical Strobe) can program what they prefer.

That + thicker/stronger glass and the bezel improvements you mentioned would pretty much nail it as THE Tactical light.

Since they managed to program the 3 clicks for the lockout, they should be able to reprogram that to enter the programming mode.

Besides, IIRC, I heard that the 3-click lockout drops you back in the last used mode no matter where the knob is set. That makes it less than useful.

I still prefer the half-press and turn lockout in the Scorpion. Took a little practice to be able to enter it reliably without turning on the light, but coming out of it was easy, just turn the knob to the desired setting and hit the button.

With a decent forward clicky though, there's no need for a lockout during use. I've never accidentally turned on my Quarks that were pocket carried or the Eagtac G25C2 MKii on my belt with their forward clickies.

Max

P.S. BTW, a combination of a forward clicky + rotary knob selector also solves one additional little issue with the Scorpion/Acebeam/Estrela interface.

While discussing it with some guys, the conclusion is that most of them feel that in use (disregarding programming etc.) simple is good. For that reason, most prefer a forward clicky when using Maximum.

They can pop-and-peek with the Momentary, or mash the button when they need constant. Eg. If you're using momentary and someone takes off running, they don't want to have to be concerned that their thumb slipping off the button could inadvertently leave them in the dark while running, and no one wants to have to fiddle with turning a knob to get to a constant on setting while in foot pursuit.

Being able to use Maximum in momentary OR constant with a forward clicky solves that, as opposed to having a separate standalone momentary Maximum position.

Last edited:

bluemax_1

Enlightened
Hmmm... If anyone from Thrunite ends up reading this, it might actually be a good idea to set it to 8-10 quick half-presses to enter programming mode.

For most folks, programming the modes is more likely to be a 'once and done' proposition. I don't think there are many folks who would want to continually reprogram the lights on the fly. Probably rare for anyone to even want to reprogram a light daily, so making it more difficult to enter programming mode is a good idea.

Although morse code isn't used much these days, if someone DID want to use the light to send a message in morse code, the letter 'S' for instance, is 3 dots = 3 quick flashes.

More rapid flashes needed (like 8 to 10) to enter programming mode would avoid accidentally triggering programming mode when trying to do something else.

Max

Last edited:

Rick_R

Newly Enlightened
Wow. Yeah, that's too confusing especially under stress.

If they could implement my idea of the rotary knob + forward clicky with a triple/quad tap to enter programming mode, with the ability to partial press for momentary or full click for constant in all positions, I'd be perfectly happy with just 3 programmable modes.

In fact, for a tactical or LEO duty light, that would be ideal. I would set it to Maximum on one end, Strobe on the other and a low/medium in the middle. That way, it's a simple 'crank full clockwise for Maximum', or 'crank fully counterclockwise for Strobe' under stress. The low/medium I can take the extra second to select.

And folks who actually want a light this large for firefly (and the numerous folks who have no use for Tactical Strobe) can program what they prefer.

That + thicker/stronger glass and the bezel improvements you mentioned would pretty much nail it as THE Tactical light.

Since they managed to program the 3 clicks for the lockout, they should be able to reprogram that to enter the programming mode.

Besides, IIRC, I heard that the 3-click lockout drops you back in the last used mode no matter where the knob is set. That makes it less than useful.

I still prefer the half-press and turn lockout in the Scorpion. Took a little practice to be able to enter it reliably without turning on the light, but coming out of it was easy, just turn the knob to the desired setting and hit the button.

With a decent forward clicky though, there's no need for a lockout during use. I've never accidentally turned on my Quarks that were pocket carried or the Eagtac G25C2 MKii on my belt with their forward clickies.

Max

P.S. BTW, a combination of a forward clicky + rotary knob selector also solves one additional little issue with the Scorpion/Acebeam/Estrela interface.

While discussing it with some guys, the conclusion is that most of them feel that in use (disregarding programming etc.) simple is good. For that reason, most prefer a forward clicky when using Maximum.

They can pop-and-peek with the Momentary, or mash the button when they need constant. Eg. If you're using momentary and someone takes off running, they don't want to have to be concerned that their thumb slipping off the button could inadvertently leave them in the dark while running, and no one wants to have to fiddle with turning a knob to get to a constant on setting while in foot pursuit.

Being able to use Maximum in momentary OR constant with a forward clicky solves that, as opposed to having a separate standalone momentary Maximum position.

I agree with your comments/statements, and what changes to this light that would move it to a great light. Programmability will definitely solve the UI mode 'what is where' & intensity issues. The main issue with these 'tactical'
lights is designers don't give all of what you want, only parts. From people sitting at a desk, with little or no real world experience. And don't or won't invite comments from targeted users. The 'Estrela' is Ken Good's latest light. Acebeam (the OEM) has there version (40mm head). Thrunite has there's (with a reversed dial UI)
Thrunite has popped up on various threads here regarding their products. But they do get reeaaal quiet if that 'item' has issues/problems. So it would be safe to assume that they have looked at this tread (since it's near the top of the forum now). If and what they will do with this discussion ????
I'm going to send them an e-mail, with what we have been discussing here lately and see what happens. They are so close to getting it right.

As far as the UI, I've set mine up like this: Momentary/Fast strobe/Max/Med-low, set on strobe. My normal carry lights at work are: Thrunite 'Lynx' (Primary, in a ESP holster/carrier), Nitecore P12 (Backup, in pants pocket).
I EDC, either a Klarus XT2C (With a 4-7's 'deep carry pocket clip'). Ditto setup on a Klarus XT1A.
Used the Nitecore MT26 for a long time prior to the 'Lynx", but its 'two handed' to change modes (twist head). Their SRT series you have to change hand positions to change modes (dial at head).
Have been veerryyy tempted to get both the Nitecore P20 & P10 as my standard carry pair. However, the output from either one is sub-par to the 'Lynx'.

I'am going way out on a limb, and say that "a true duty/tactical flashlight", must have as a basic setup: 1) forward clicky/momentary switch; 2) mode change, by rotational switch (side buttons at tailcap are not feasible); 3) 1k lumens @ 5500-6000k; 4) Strobe at 18-22Hz (or, 12-22Hz random rate and on/off periods)

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I haven't heard a single peep about a new/updated version of the Thrunite Lynx/Scorpion. Has anyone else?

It just seems like they decided to drop the design from their selection altogether.

To that end, I decided to pose the possibilities on the manufacturers forum of the company who I think was the one producing these types of lights, and still has a variant in their lineup. Perhaps a show of interest might help get the ball rolling?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-to-produce-the-Ultimate-tactical-flashlight

Max

kj2

Flashaholic

bluemax_1

Enlightened
When did the Estrela come to market? I think I first heard of it last year (2014. And obviously forgot it). The first page on this thread is from 2013 and the previous Scorpions came out even earlier.

The original of course, was the Gladius that came out a decade ago.

Max

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard a single peep about a new/updated version of the Thrunite Lynx/Scorpion. Has anyone else?

It just seems like they decided to drop the design from their selection altogether.

To that end, I decided to pose the possibilities on the manufacturers forum of the company who I think was the one producing these types of lights, and still has a variant in their lineup. Perhaps a show of interest might help get the ball rolling?
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...s-to-produce-the-Ultimate-tactical-flashlight

Max

Is this what you were looking for: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?404340-Lynx-pre-order

The "updated" Lynx was available for sale.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for that. Looks like they produced a limited run that's all gone (the last link in the series was to a page to purchase them, but it's been taken down by Thrunite).

Max

I don't think you missed out on much. A better one will be along. If something is well made, liked by people, and profitable enough for the maker, it'll show up again.

bluemax_1

Enlightened
And who did Acebeam copy (see T10)?

If I understand things correctly, Acebeam is the consumer level retail side of the company that manufactured the Lynx for Thrunite. They began producing their own lights with slight variations in the design (reversed UI, deeper head/reflector design focused even more towards a narrower beam with greater throw than the Lynx/Scorpion).

Max

bluemax_1

Enlightened
I don't think you missed out on much. A better one will be along. If something is well made, liked by people, and profitable enough for the maker, it'll show up again.

Yep. Something better will always come along as technology improves and new ideas surface. Flashlights have come a LONG way in the last 15 years. I thought Thrunite was no longer making the Lynx since it hadn't been available for over a year.

It appears that it still isn't currently a production model in their regular lineup. That looked like just a limited production run.

That the Lynx hasn't been readily available for that long AND I haven't heard anything about a new model in the works was what made me start the thread with Acebeam to see if they might conceivably produce an updated model with the features I outlined.

Max