Thrunite Neutron 2A (1xAA/14500 2xAA) and 2C (1xRCR/18650 2xCR123A/RCR) 2014 Review

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
BTW, did you know what is the current it drains from the batteries when it's on turbo mode?
No, I don't do tail current draws as I find they are always not accurate with my general purpose Uni-T DMM. I know from doing concurrent output testing that tail current measures sometimes reduce the output level (suggesting internal resistance of the DMM and/or leads is adding measurable resistance during current testing). It's typically only a potential issue at higher levels of heavily-driven lights, but I don't report any measures if I am not fully confident as to their accuracy.

DevBear

Newly Enlightened
No, I don't do tail current draws as I find they are always not accurate with my general purpose Uni-T DMM. I know from doing concurrent output testing that tail current measures sometimes reduce the output level (suggesting internal resistance of the DMM and/or leads is adding measurable resistance during current testing). It's typically only a potential issue at higher levels of heavily-driven lights, but I don't report any measures if I am not fully confident as to their accuracy.

Ya, accuracy are most important. :thanks:

EnlightenedOne

Newly Enlightened
I have some AW IMRs coming and the size is right with an appropriate charger. I did notice the light switch on in the pocket once and have not seen the batteries drain while off to any extent.

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Neutron 2a v2 for some months now and it has superseded my Olight S15. Its massively brighter using Olight 14500 batteries on both flashlights. Like the double click on Thrunite to get turbo, worked a treat in movies the other day when someone had taken our legroom seats, two clicks-turbo at the floor and very polite "We have these two seats booked, Thanks" the red seats parted and we moved in no arguments at all........Great EDC whether for safe trip to Lu during dark spots in movies or clearing your seats. I'm convinced- it hasn't let me down yet! Big bite for such a small flashlight. Both will turn on in your pocket by mistake -especially S15, this used to bother me until forum advice to turn tail cap out half a turn or so light then will not turn on by mistake and cook your leg.

david57strat

Enlightened
I'm hoping not to have skipped over this; but does anyone know what the rated run times are, for the Neutron 2A V2, using the single 14500 battery? I know the outputs are different than that of the AA (alkaline, or NiMh), but what about the run times on all the modes?

Also - why does ThruNite make mention of the use of a 14500 battery in this light? It would be a great selling point for the high performance battery user, without having to use the battery extender.

If I have missed this in earlier writings, my apologies for not seeing it sooner.

Thanks, in advance, for any replies!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'm hoping not to have skipped over this; but does anyone know what the rated run times are, for the Neutron 2A V2, using the single 14500 battery? I know the outputs are different than that of the AA (alkaline, or NiMh), but what about the run times on all the modes?
No, it is only the max output that is different between 1xAA and 1x14500 - as you will see in the measured lumen table in my review, there is no difference on the other output levels.

The ability to do work for a 14500 and AA is about the same, therefore runtime is about about the same as well. Work = power * time, and power = current * voltage. So, a 750mAh 3.7V nominal cell gives you ~2775 work units, compared to ~2400 for a 2000mAh (standard eneloop) at 1.2V.

The only difference in runtime is in the Hi mode (given the different outputs), and those runtimes are in the review. :wave:

david57strat

Enlightened
No, it is only the max output that is different between 1xAA and 1x14500 - as you will see in the measured lumen table in my review, there is no difference on the other output levels.

The ability to do work for a 14500 and AA is about the same, therefore runtime is about about the same as well. Work = power * time, and power = current * voltage. So, a 750mAh 3.7V nominal cell gives you ~2775 work units, compared to ~2400 for a 2000mAh (standard eneloop) at 1.2V.

The only difference in runtime is in the Hi mode (given the different outputs), and those runtimes are in the review. :wave:

Excellent information to have. Thanks, selfbuilt!

I've very much enjoyed reading and viewing your light reviews. Superb work. Thank you, most kindly for sharing this with all of us. It's very much appreciated :D

CreepyThinMan

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite has change the button/switch on these two models. At least the ones on their website. The Amason store still shows the V2's version in this review. Same model no.'s "V2"

Does anybody have experience with the new button vs the "old" button? Any significant difference?

MingJae

Newly Enlightened
Hello, do someone here had any mode defective in Neutron 2A v2?
I had a cw and nw version from Thrunite, they sometimes flick on high mode, or sometimes cannot perform high mode (only lo-mid-firefly)
me try using both 1xAA and 2xAA NiMh format and they act the same problem, but sometimes they are not. :thinking:
(I am using a freshly charged eneloop or at least has good enough battery remain)

I try to replace them with fresh Alkaline batteries (1xAA & 2xAA), but the problem also happened.
so I tried a 1x14500, it works, good low-mid-high-firefly, but on high or turbo modes, it suddenly turned off after a sec.
and what makes me frustating: after using a 14500, I replace it to a freshly charged 1xAA eneloop, but it won't turns on, but after 3-5sec it can turns on with all modes accesible, but again, sometimes it flicks on high mode.

me contact Thrunite and making videos about the problem, they replace them, but the problem also happened, the same problem.:sick2:
maybe I can say the first products is 25% mode defective.
the products after replacement is 10% mode defective.

What actually the problem is? Do my batteries defective?
me also have a Fenix e25 and Xtar WK41 no problem at all using the same Eneloop and the fresh Alkaline batteries.

Can someone help me?

michael3

Newly Enlightened
Hello, do someone here had any mode defective in Neutron 2A v2?
I had a cw and nw version from Thrunite, they sometimes flick on high mode, or sometimes cannot perform high mode (only lo-mid-firefly)
me try using both 1xAA and 2xAA NiMh format and they act the same problem, but sometimes they are not. :thinking:
(I am using a freshly charged eneloop or at least has good enough battery remain)

I try to replace them with fresh Alkaline batteries (1xAA & 2xAA), but the problem also happened.
so I tried a 1x14500, it works, good low-mid-high-firefly, but on high or turbo modes, it suddenly turned off after a sec.
and what makes me frustating: after using a 14500, I replace it to a freshly charged 1xAA eneloop, but it won't turns on, but after 3-5sec it can turns on with all modes accesible, but again, sometimes it flicks on high mode.

me contact Thrunite and making videos about the problem, they replace them, but the problem also happened, the same problem.:sick2:
maybe I can say the first products is 25% mode defective.
the products after replacement is 10% mode defective.

What actually the problem is? Do my batteries defective?
me also have a Fenix e25 and Xtar WK41 no problem at all using the same Eneloop and the fresh Alkaline batteries.

Can someone help me?

I had the same problem with the 2cv2. also 2 times. it was a driver issue. I cleaned everything and used multiple good batteries tested in other flashlights and determined that it had to be the driver.I contacted thrunite and they were very helpful. they asked me to ship it back and as soon as I gave them the tracking number they shipped me a new one. works great. I have been using this one now for a few months with absolutely no problems. I have had very good experiences with thrunite. even though there seem to be a few bad apples (flashlights) here and there, they are quick to respond and rectify the situation. I am sure they will continue to stand behind their product and send you one that works. I hope that helps.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there still issues with Neutron v2? Are they finally reliable?

Berneck1

Enlightened
I got a replacement light. It does seem to work better, but turbo still cuts out with 2 AA's. I don't know for sure, but what I think is happening is after a short time the voltage isn't enough the drive the 800 lumens. When I have it in single AA mode and use a 14500 I don't have the issue. It is damn impressive to get 800 lumens out of a 2xAA light, but it's only for a very short time. All the other modes are fine in 2xAA mode.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Berneck1

Enlightened
Does anybody have experience with the new button vs the "old" button? Any significant difference?

The new button is larger and much easier to locate by feel. It also feels like it takes a little more pressure to activate the light, which is good as the other button was getting accidentally activated all the time. The larger button still has this issue, but seems a little less.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

sale

Newly Enlightened
I got it with new design button from amazon.de.

2xAA works like a horse, I like. Between turbo (800 lumens?) and high (230 lumens) it does not feel so huge difference than I thought. I'm only used to have less than 200 lumens lights - so I know nothing. Maybe that is why I also have ever seen a slightly brighter/whiter doughnut center in the beam (did not get this to photo). Otherwise NW is pleasant to look, slightly greenish but does not bother. NiMhs have to be at least almost freshly charged, otherwise no turbo.

1xAA is not working. Yesterday no matter what batteries/NiMhs I tried: power on --> one bighter blink and then only dim flickering. Today: moonlight and low + med is working.

It'll be a hard decision to make. I know I won't use it as 1xAA. Love 2xAA now, but if it fails too, I'm in trouble.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1xAA is not working. Yesterday no matter what batteries/NiMhs I tried: power on --> one bighter blink and then only dim flickering. Today: moonlight and low + med is working.
Hmmm, I wonder if it is a contact issue? The newer high-capacity NiMH can be a bit taller and thicker than the old ones (e.g. Eneloop Pro), and may work better in 1xAA form. Have you tried one of these?

Latest posts