ThruNite TN10 & TN11 Review (pics, runtimes, beamshots)

AutoTech

Enlightened
I couldn't wait and ordered mine yesterday.. Just opened the parcel.. Nice big hole in the box :mad: no damage inside but bit annoying as I like to keep boxes mint if/when I sell it. Was in bubble wrap and a padded envelope and looks like it must have been wrapped damaged as there's no damage to either parts of the wrapping.

Got mine with the 2 extenders (ledfiretorches give 2nd free) but can't imagine I'll ever use it with 2x18650's as it's a bit of a walking stick lol.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do tonight!

Setting the 2nd mode takes a bit of getting used to.

Last edited:

infinus

Newly Enlightened
Got mine with the 2 extenders (ledfiretorches give 2nd free) but can't imagine I'll ever use it with 2x18650's as it's a bit of a walking stick lol.

If you want to run with 2 cells for full regulation I highly recommend 2 18500's with 1 extender. It's a great comprimise of size and performance. Gives you about 50-60 fully regulated minutes of run time.

AutoTech

Enlightened
Will the output on this be higher with 3xcr123 batteries?

I'm currently a bit worried about mine as it smells horrible, noticed when I opened the light there was an awful smell. Not sure if it's the batteries, came with 2x titanium cr123's installed. I guess it must be as none of my other lights smell lol. After seeing that exploding 2xcr123 surefire thread I'm paranoid.

Edited to add...

It's certainly an impressive light, had a quick walk out earlier. My eyes are hurting from messing about in my lounge, a strobe this bright bouncing off the walls indoors is nauseating.

The edges ont he body cut outs are so sharp, I'm sure you could cut yourself on this thing! The bezel is the same too.

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both samples I received had a very strong odor as well (especially in the spring area of the head) which I have attributed to the lube used. As for the batteries, I do not believe it's any brighter on 3 cells but I'll conduct some additional testing at home later.

Per infinus, 2 x 18500's really would be a great set up; not overly long and good regulated run time. If I ever get any, I'll do some runtime testing and post the results.

Cheers,
Tim

AutoTech

Enlightened
Both samples I received had a very strong odor as well (especially in the spring area of the head) which I have attributed to the lube used. As for the batteries, I do not believe it's any brighter on 3 cells but I'll conduct some additional testing at home later.

Per infinus, 2 x 18500's really would be a great set up; not overly long and good regulated run time. If I ever get any, I'll do some runtime testing and post the results.

Cheers,
Tim

Can it actually run 4xcr123's? I've just seen on another website (selling these) it says it can run 4! Then it says up to 12v input, 4 cr123's = 14.1v does it not?

The same website also says max output achieved on 3xcr123/2x18650/4xcr123. I've only run mine on 2xcr123 so far. I guess the fact it reaches peak output on 2x18650's means it's regulated to a max draw?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to ThruNite's product pages and the manual, yes, it can run on 4xCR123 and has an operational V range of 2.7V-12V (the nominal voltage of a primary CR123 is 3V so 4x3V=12V).

I took an abbreviated runtime of the TN10 on 3xAW IMR (dotted purple line) with each around 4V (but w/nominal V at 3.7V so 11.1V total) and as you can see, it is not any brighter than when running on 2 cells:

As such, the 2x18500 really does offer the best of both worlds; reasonable regulated output. The only drawback to this setup is that the light will suddenly cut out when the batteries can no longer support the current draw. It doesn't have a gradual decrease in output like when running on 1x18650.

The light does feature low V warning (when V drops below 2.7V) but this is when using primaries which I loathe so am unable to confirm whether this works or not.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

GeorgeDunn_UK

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about the performance of running this light with:

A) 2xAW 18350 cells
B) possibility of running 3xAW 18350. cells with one extension tube (i.e. 3x3.7 Volts).

Has anyone tried these configurations?

I have the TN11 in the post and have all the cells to use with it that have already been mentioned in this thread.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW lists the length of the IMR 18350's @ 34.82mm ea and with 2 cells,it'll be at 69.64mm so they'll likely be a very snug fit as my longest 18650 is 68.4mm in length and already snug.

The 2 x 18350 will give you max output using just two cells. Based on my testing, there are no advantages to running 3 cells (the light is no brighter) so you'll be better served using a 2 x 18500 config for better runtime.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim

sydder

Newly Enlightened
I am yet another prospective buyer tossing up between the TN11 and the Scorpion v2 with a turbo head. Has anyone managed to track down a comparison between the 2?

Warp

Enlightened
I am yet another prospective buyer tossing up between the TN11 and the Scorpion v2 with a turbo head. Has anyone managed to track down a comparison between the 2?

Add me to that list.

Edit: I just pulled the trigger on a TN11 anyway. But hey...$93.39 shipped! :)

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened
After reading this review and seeing the beamshots I ordered a TN11 last night...:paypal:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a quick update, I finally got around to measuring the lux & calculated beam distance (according to ANSI FL1) on all the lights that I still have from the indoor shots thread and here are the results:

TN11
2 x 18650's = 19,870 lux / 282m
1 x 18650 = 17,060

TN10
2 x 18650's = 11,600 lux / 215m
1 x 18650 = 10,570

As I had mentioned in the review, both lights do not gain output benefits beyond 2 cells so I didn't bother trying that setup. Differences in testing procedures notwithstanding, this does fall a bit short of the stated claims by the mfg for what it's worth.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few US retailers that carry ThruNite of which some participate over on CPFMP. You could also always post an inquiry on ThruNite's thread there.

Cheers,
Tim

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the TN10 as a possiblity for wife as a handbag carry torch to always have with her.

Would prefer to run it on 2 x CR123 batteries for ease of replacement, no worries about charging Li-Ion cells etc.

How would this flashlight go in CR123 configuration living in the bottom of a handbag getting infrequent use?

I want something that she can operate quickly and easily should she need to that has enough brightness to be a shock and stun someone if shined in their face in the dark and is always ready to go.

Thoughts?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I asked my better half re: this and she wouldn't be caught dead carrying this light as it's too manly, but of course that's totally subjective. Looks aside, and taking your concerns in order:

With 2 x CR123 config, while there may be no concerns w/charging, it'd still be wise to remove the cells every once in a while to ensure the voltage between the pair isn't too far off.

As for living in a handbag, this is neither the most compact nor light weight light to be carrying so depending on the size of your wife's handbag(s) it may not be a good fit (no pun intended). Also depending on what else she carries along in her handbag, consideration has to be given to the edges. While the tactical ring can be removed, there remains the bezel as well as the sharp grooves in the head/tailcap. She might not appreciate her other items getting poked/scratched by the light. While a holster might address some of these issues that would interfere w/your final concern about a quick draw/one-handed operation as she would need to first unholster the light and then use it vs. just digging into her bag, grabbing it and clicking it on. If she has some clutches in her collection, then this light would definitely be a bit big to be stuffing into the average sized ones.

As for having enough brightness, there's definitely no question the TN10 is more than capable here and the second mode (loosened head) can be programmed to a lower setting so that she can use it for other purposes.

Bottom line, it can work but obviously would depend largely on her preferences. Hope that helped.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited: