Thrunite TN12 2014 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

uofaengr

Enlightened
Does this light have any undervoltage protection? I apologize if I've missed something.

kiwikane

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone De-Domed their TN12? Or for that matter know how to take out the pill? Sorry if it's already been stated in this thread and I've missed it. :eek:

tops2

Enlightened
I'm late to the party but just picked up my first 18650 light (along with the batteries of course). The TN12 is on sale at Illumin for only $30 (almost down the street from where I work) so I figured why not at this price. Too bad the pair of batteries costs the same as the light. But now I finally have some 18650 so I have more light options in the future! ;-)

I'm not even at home yet but in the office, this light is bright from quick testing! The size is good to me (not too small and not too large). I can't wait to get home and wait till it gets dark to try the light out!

I'm coming from a Fenix E12 so this light is a much powerful upgrade. I like the E12 a lot initially, but I was quickly disappointed when I used it for a night walk outside.

Too bad I didn't notice the sale on the TN12 earlier. I already ordered the Zebralight SC5W this morning and it already shipped by the time I saw this light.

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
I'm late to the party but just picked up my first 18650 light (along with the batteries of course). The TN12 is on sale at Illumin for only $30 (almost down the street from where I work) so I figured why not at this price. Too bad the pair of batteries costs the same as the light. But now I finally have some 18650 so I have more light options in the future! ;-)

I'm not even at home yet but in the office, this light is bright from quick testing! The size is good to me (not too small and not too large). I can't wait to get home and wait till it gets dark to try the light out!

I'm coming from a Fenix E12 so this light is a much powerful upgrade. I like the E12 a lot initially, but I was quickly disappointed when I used it for a night walk outside.

Too bad I didn't notice the sale on the TN12 earlier. I already ordered the Zebralight SC5W this morning and it already shipped by the time I saw this light.
You bought two dern good lights today. The TN12 at $30 is a steal.

tops2

Enlightened
You bought two dern good lights today. The TN12 at $30 is a steal.

Now when I checked Illumin, all sold out! After I bought it yesterday, there were 4 left. Good thing I didn't decide to wait!

But took the light out for a midnight stroll for fun after fully charging the new batteries...and boy do I love this light! It did what I wanted from a light. On low, it's dim enough to not blind me. On high...boy it's bright. The brightness combined from the good spill/flood (?), in my opinion, is what I love. When walking around, it lights up everything in a good area instead of just a tight, small area.

The different levels are pretty good to me (even though I don't see myself using the turbo level much). If prefer if I long press the mode button that it bring me to the firefly level as I won't use the strobe mode at all...but that's just being nitpicking.

The only thing I'm getting used to is the neutral white, since it's my first one. The "yellowish" tint makes the light seem not as bright. But the colors is nice and not cold. I think I'm just not used to neutral white yet.

Any ways, my journey to look for the first real lights started beginning of November. I'm glad Illumin had a good sale on the TN12, which made me just decide to finally try a 18650 light. Now a whole new category of lights are opened to me instead of sticking only with AA and AAA lights. Now I have a Fenix E12, 2 Nitecore Tubes, 1 Rayus C01, returning one defective light, a Thrunite TN12, and finally a Zebralight SC5w (coming in the mail). Of course also ended up getting 2x 18650 batteries and the Nitecore D4 charger. Right now after the TN12, I feel completely satisfied and hopefully I won't get more lights...for now... ;-)

staticaz

Newly Enlightened
Great review, I have had one of these for about 9 months now in Cool White, very dependable, good run times, nice beam, use it daily and have had Zero problems.

If anyone is having problems finding one.....try Thrunite direct....looks like now have the 2016 model.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn12-2016-cool-white/

Last edited:

mikec49

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review. I just ordered the 2016 model. My only other led is a fenix ld20 double A. I use eneloop in it. It's 10 plus years old going strong.