Thrunite TN30 Review (3xXM-L, 3x18650): RUNTIMES, VIDEO, OUTDOOR BEAMSHOTS and more!

Tim B

Newly Enlightened
I made a label for mine that shows the number of lumens for each click of the control ring. I printed it on a shipping label and cut it into a thin strip to fit in the proper place on the light.

tn30label.jpg

sbbsga

Enlightened
I made a label for mine that shows the number of lumens for each click of the control ring. I printed it on a shipping label and cut it into a thin strip to fit in the proper place on the light.

Cool! Mine are like these.

12mm tape, experimenting with different font sizes. 12 mm is just enough to cover the two bands and bridging the groove. They are starting to peel at the corners. When they get too annoying, I will try clear tape with GITD sticker underneath.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Got my TN30 on Wednesday, Return to Battery Junction Thursday, On level 6 got a little pause flack, Also level 5 and 6 it seen as same output, Call the customer service to get RAM#, They said they will refund the post cost to ship it back, It is 14.60, they will check it to replace the new TN30.

Do any one here have problem like that? I had try the ceiling bounce, It's much brighter than my TK35, but on outside is about 2 times brighter than my TK35, But the Hotspot is not too much brighter, I like the flood but I need more throw.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you would like a really bright hotspot that would seem much brighter than you Fenix TK35. Perhaps the Thrunite TN31 would suit you better.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Got my TN30 on Wednesday, Return to Battery Junction Thursday, On level 6 got a little pause flack, Also level 5 and 6 it seen as same output, Call the customer service to get RAM#, They said they will refund the post cost to ship it back, It is 14.60, they will check it to replace the new TN30.

Do any one here have problem like that? I had try the ceiling bounce, It's much brighter than my TK35, but on outside is about 2 times brighter than my TK35, But the Hotspot is not too much brighter, I like the flood but I need more throw.

Got a E-mail from Battery Junction.

Michael, We will process your RMA when we receive it back. Unfortunately, we do not pay for return shipping but we will pay for shipping the light back to you at our expense.

Sincerely,

Martha Bannister
Customer Service Representative
www.batteryjunction.com
860-767-8888

I guess, If I buy things from Battery Junction, If defected I have to paid for shipping back, lesson learn.

Just see the Thrunite TN30 on sale http://www.thrunite-store.com/hot-deal.html

I paid $220.75 Plus $14.60 for return=237.15, Only If I knew the Thrunite is on sale this week :(

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Yes, that is the presumed explanation for the soft start on high-output lights like this. A sensible precaution, to ensure good battery performance.

I have the TN30 for 1 day, Send it back to Battery Junction, It flick some time on L6, I had try ceiling bounce test on L6 and L5 it seen as same brightness, I'm using Eaglet ac 3100mah, They are going to double check before they will send another TN30.

Its that a defected TN30 or the Eagletac battery overload protection cut out on L6?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Its that a defected TN30 or the Eagletac battery overload protection cut out on L6?
Hard to say without more information (i.e., trying the first batteries in another light, trying another set of batteries in the first light). As a general rule, "flickering" is more likely to be flashlight circuit related, but it's hard to say from this example.

arnoldtm3

Newly Enlightened
i got both tn30(from hke for $220) and tn31(from thrunite store promo inc t10 for only $139,lost $51 on tn30).my only worry is that tn30 came in a smaller box,it does not have soft ramp at max,and the battery carrier has a copper coloured top,also warranty card is only paper,while the tn31 came with a credit card like warranty card,and the official box in the reviews.is this normal?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
i got both tn30(from hke for $220) and tn31(from thrunite store promo inc t10 for only $139,lost $51 on tn30).my only worry is that tn30 came in a smaller box,it does not have soft ramp at max,and the battery carrier has a copper coloured top,also warranty card is only paper,while the tn31 came with a credit card like warranty card,and the official box in the reviews.is this normal?
Hard to say - I'd recommend you contact Thrunite directly if you have any concerns of authenticity. Asian manufacturers sometimes produce slightly different versions (especially of the packaging) for their domestic markets. Purchasing from an Asian distributor may thus have netted you slightly different stock. But again, contact Thrunite to confirm.

Atakdog

Newly Enlightened
how does the TN30 compare to the Eagletac M3C4 XM-L. they have about the same lux and i cant decide which to get; M3C4 is a good compact thrower, TN30 lights up everything for a little more size.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
how does the TN30 compare to the Eagletac M3C4 XM-L. they have about the same lux and i cant decide which to get; M3C4 is a good compact thrower, TN30 lights up everything for a little more size.

tn30 blows it away with more then twice the lumens

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
tn30 blows it away with more then twice the lumens
Actually, the TN30 is more than three times the lumens of the M3C4 XM-L.

I haven't done a beamshot comparison, but if you compare the TN31 to TN30, you can get a genera feel for how a single-emitter light differs from a 3x emitter. Of course, the TN31 is brighter with a more focused beam than the M3C4.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I am enjoying my newly arrived TN30, but I was wondering why such a powerful light was driven by only 3x18650s. The TN31 also has 3x1650's but they are driving a single XM-L.The TN30's run time would noticeably benefit from that extra battery, and perhaps a level 6 ramp-up might become unnecessary (though that is a very minor issue). Out of curiosity I measured the body diameters of the TN30 and Nitecore TM11 (4x18650).

TM11: 49.62mm
TN30: 49.05mm
00.57mm difference

The "secret" appears to be the TM11's integrated battery housing. If the TN30 took this approach, the slight weight increase of a fractionally wider body plus the extra 18650 would be at least partly offset by getting rid of the battery carrier (49.6g) along with a possibly shorter body. At worst, the weight penalty would be slight.

I would hope that Thrunite and other manufacturers might eventually adopt this approach to battery carry in their more powerful lights.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Yourfun2

Enlightened
TM11 batteries are in parallel. They would need to completely redesign the electronics to work with the lower voltage.

Yourfun2

Enlightened
Actually the length of the battery carriers aren't that much different. I think it is the control ring that makes the TN30 longer.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Hard to say without more information (i.e., trying the first batteries in another light, trying another set of batteries in the first light). As a general rule, "flickering" is more likely to be flashlight circuit related, but it's hard to say from this example.

Just got my new replacement TN30 from BatteryJunction, It all level work great, They have told me, The one I had is defected, It have a lot of flood, The throw is good for around 150 yard, I was shooting at 50 yard outdoor range with few of my pistol and can, It light up entire target and more, Very happy with this TN30, Now I have the SUPBEAM K40 on the way, Should be here next Tuesday, going to see the different between the both side by side. Any one have picture of the 2 light comparison?

Now I need :) light that throw more distance, I'm in Vegas, It got light every where you go, its hard to tell the different unless going to desert,

Any LED light have good throw and flood for AR shooting around 300 to 400 yard? I'm using EagleTac 3100mah 18650.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Any LED light have good throw and flood for AR shooting around 300 to 400 yard? I'm using EagleTac 3100mah 18650.

See Selfbuilt's review of The Thrunite TN31. It is a very impressive thrower.

Brightnorm

Last edited: