Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

"SB",,,,,,,,,,What is your "Estimation" of cd output on level 6 once it starts Flat Regulation?

I see at 2:00 min. it is at 174Kcd. Does it drop anymore after that?

In addition,will the process[reset] start over again by going back to "standby" or a different mode and then back to Level 6? My guess would be yes! ;)
As you will see in my output table, I estimate output drops from ~1650 lumens to ~1550 lumens after the step down at 70 secs. As the runtimes show, output regulation is very flat after stepdown. You can restart initial max output by power cycle of the light.

deSede

Newly Enlightened
Re: Thrunite TN32 (XM-L2, 3x18650) "Thrower" Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

Hi selfbuilt

Tnx for your review.

i really love this light. It has pretty nice beam, like the Thrunite Catapult V3.

cheers

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

i really love this light. It has pretty nice beam, like the Thrunite Catapult V3.
It's funny you should mention that, as I just posted a review of the new Catapult V5, which pretty much doubles the output and throw of the V3. Here is a quick comparison to the TN32.

CatV5-Beam001.jpg
TN32-Beam001.jpg

CatV5-Beam002.jpg
TN32-Beam002.jpg

CatV5-Beam003.jpg
TN32-Beam003.jpg

CatV5-Beam004.jpg
TN32-Beam004.jpg

For more info, please see my V5 review

harrycolez

Newly Enlightened

Since there are neutral and cool U2 emitters available, would one be preferable for spotting something at a distance? Since im assuming there wont be the usual lumen loss with a neutral emitter.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Since there are neutral and cool U2 emitters available, would one be preferable for spotting something at a distance? Since im assuming there wont be the usual lumen loss with a neutral emitter.
Typically, neutral white emitters are a lower output bin than cool white (e.g. T6 vs U2, commonly) - and as such, would have slightly lower output and throw (on average). Of course, depending on where two samples fell within their respective bins, the difference could be vanishingly small. Also, there are examples of U2-bin neutral white XM-L2s out there - which would produce the same general level of performance as U2-bin cool white emitters.

I encourage people to think of these things statistically - given all the variation within bin ranges, reflector placement, circuit responses, etc., there can be significant differences in throw between two samples of a light with the same characteristics. When it comes to neutral vs cool, you would expect the cool to have a slight edge on average (although again, individual sample variation could minimize or even reverse that).

More importantly, the tint differences makes it really hard to compare beam patterns - our brains really don't see them the same way. So even if a cool and neutral white had exactly the same measured throw, one may look "better" than another (depending on the color of the object, and your personal preferences). Except in the cases of truly higher CRI neutral whites - where actual color rendition is slightyl higher - most of the time it really comes down to simple personal preference in tint.

So to boil that down - I recommend people just go with whatever tint they prefer, and not worry about the minor output variation.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Weather conditions have finally improved enough to start taking outdoor beamshots around here. To start, here is a comparison of the TN35 to the TN32 (XM-L2) and Eagletac SX25L3.

As always, these are done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

CatV5-TK61-TN32.gif

TN32-35-SX25L3.gif

CatV5-TK61-TN32z.gif

TN32-25-SX25L3z.gif

Please note that the color balance of the MT-G2 shots are a little off, as I had automatic white balancing on (i.e., they are not consistent to the adjustment used for the cool white emitters).

The TN32 has an impressive amount of overall output and throw, for a single XM-L2-equipped light. :eek:oo: You can see the greater output compared to the stock Fenix TK61 (as well as compared to the Thrunite Catapult V5, although it is closer). Definitely a top stock XM-L2 light. :thumbsup:

In terms of the TN35 comparison, the MT-G2 emitter does indeed provide much more of a "wall of light" effect, thanks to the larger emitter. But the deep reflector of the TN32/TN35 build still allows the TN35 to reach out to a good distance (i.e., as compared to the SX25L3, which is obviously struggling at that same distance).

Richwouldnt

Enlightened

I just got mine and like it a lot. One thing I noted is that the battery holder that came with mine seems to be a bit short. Maximum length batteries I can install in it are only about 68.4mm with the springs fully compressed which means that most protected 18650 cells will not fit. So far Tenergy and Soshine protected cells fit and per info received Eagletac and AW protected cells should also fit. IMO the received battery holder is defective and I have emailed ThruNite about this problem. Waiting to hear from them.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Today I received TN32 in neutral tint. The same nice box like with TN35. Same UI but the control ring is a bit more distinct than TN35. The hotspot is smaller and much more intense. It has a corona but not as wide as TN35. As usual with XM-L(2) emitters the spill is significantly cooler tinted than the hotspot, but hotspot tint is very similar.
Comparing side by side it's instantly obvious that the total output of TN32 is significantly lower than TN35; the smaller hotspot is brighter but everything else is much dimmer.
Because neutral white tint provides less output than cool white I understood that the neutral option would not have the claimed 1702lm as the cool white.
Using ceiling bounce test I can see that the total output of my TN32 neutral is around 1300lm, which is very close to what I supposed. This should mean TN32 neutral still should provide close to 200kcd.

While TN35 is a beast allround light TN32 is a beast thrower. I really like the design, beams and UI of these two lights and have hard to find any serious drawback. Great lights, now I just need to wait for autumn until I can try TN32 outdoors! :popcorn:

Regarding batteries: I use Eagletac 3400s and they fit perfect in the holders.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

Swedepat said:

Great lights, now I just need to wait for autumn until I can try TN32 outdoors! :popcorn:

Capolini: Why is that? Why don't you use it in the summer?! :)

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Swedepat said:

Great lights, now I just need to wait for autumn until I can try TN32 outdoors! :popcorn:

Capolini: Why is that? Why don't you use it in the summer?! :)

Bright summer nights near the polar circle...:(

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I never thought of that!!! Must be torture for a Flashaholic or a flashlight enthusiast! :-(

Gaussian torture device.

Daniel Flashaholic

Newly Enlightened

This will be my next flashlight for long distances ...:thumbsup:

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened

Very Pleased with my Thrunite TN32, great throw, even out throwing my huge Fenix TK70 and the Thrunite is much easier to use. Great outdoors in Aussie bush checking out rabbits & foxes. Very intense central spot and in my opinion the best spot spill ratio for night wildlife observation.
Many thanks to Selfbuilt for your amazing reviews. A veritable one stop shop to the LED lighting world. I have no hesitation investing in your battery fund each time I buy another flashlight after detailed research for just what I want for each project.

My collection so far Olight S15 (1x14500 battery), Keygos Pro XML-T6 KE-5, Ultrafire C8 XML-U2, Nitecore Caveman EA8, Thrunite TN32, Fenix TK70, waiting for an HID 85W for a comparison experience with my Fenix TK70.

Any glaring gaps in my budget LED experience from EDC to Fenix monster?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I never thought of that!!! Must be torture for a Flashaholic or a flashlight enthusiast! :-(

Yes, it is! At this moment I have suffered more than two months of bright nights, but within a month it will start to be pretty dark again...
September and october are the best part of the year; when it's really dark nights and before the first snow has fallen. This coincides with the best time for astronomy which is one of my other strong interests.

joshjp

Enlightened

I just ordered this, i will get it Tomarrow, I CANT WAIT....I also ordered the Olight SR52...

Last edited:

joshjp

Enlightened

I just got it and WOW its built like a Tank, can anybody make it dark outside so i can try it out? LOL man ohhhhh man i cant wait till its night time, gotta wait about 8Hrs GRRR

joshjp

Enlightened

Well I turned it on but when I do it flickers then turns on, is this normal? If not then its going back and no more Thrunite for me.