Thrunite TN36 (3xMK-R, 4x18650) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

Capolini

Banned
Thanks again SB for ALL your help!

I tested again last night to see if the RED light would come on when voltage got low. It did not. Did the same thing as it did on the trail which is the LED was OFF completely in all modes until I deactivated, reactivated and then it only works in L/M/H! I do not think I mentioned this in my previous posts. On the trail,,,turbo still worked at this point. Last night when the LED indicator went off the light simultaneously stepped down,,,most likely to HIGH.

So, my thoughts are as follows. If the LOW voltage LED indicator does not work, how could I be sure if the if the following is true for my light??,,,,, "The TN36 has over-discharge protection built into the light's circuit." I am not confident it will and have no way of knowing at this moment.

The reason that is important is because my K'Powers are very tight. I have to be careful I do not rip the wrapper or cut the tip of my finger as I slide them in! So, I am most likely going to get NCR18650B 3400mAh "UNPROTECTED" Button tops and use the K'powers for my TK61vn where I know they will fit much better.

With that said I would want the over discharge protection that is built into the light to work!

I really like the light and will work this out w/ Illumns who are always a pleasure to do business with! I may just have to wait because of the difficulty to get these lights right now!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
So, my thoughts are as follows. If the LOW voltage LED indicator does not work, how could I be sure if the if the following is true for my light??,,,,, "The TN36 has over-discharge protection built into the light's circuit." I am not confident it will and have no way of knowing at this moment.
Well, you would have to try unprotected cells and see what happens. :shrug:

I suspect the issue is likely just a malfunctioning red LED. So I would just try using unprotected cells starting @~3.0V and run for a few seconds at a time on Turbo (rechecking voltage each time), to see if it shuts-off on its own.

Capolini

Banned
Well, you would have to try unprotected cells and see what happens. :shrug:

I suspect the issue is likely just a malfunctioning red LED. So I would just try using unprotected cells starting @~3.0V and run for a few seconds at a time on Turbo (rechecking voltage each time), to see if it shuts-off on its own.

I agree.....But I do not have those cells yet! I have a choice,,accept the light as is or send this back and get another one that will have both of the aforementioned functions working properly. I will probably do the latter depending on when ILLUMNS can get more of these.

EDIT: Illumns has accommodated me once again with exquisite customer service resulting in complete satisfaction! :)

Last edited:

HIDSGT

Enlightened
I gotta say this light just never impressed me. you wud never in a million years think it has 6500 lumens. maybe if VinH de-domed it I wud find it more appealing but to me it just seemed really weak. I guess its just too much flood. it works great indoors but no one buys a bright light to use indoors.

plus its just too stubby and its kinda heavy for its size and the side button is so smooth that its really hard to locate the button without physically looking at it. I sold it to a buddy already. just wasn't for me I guess. and I didn't like how u have to double tap it to get into high mode. that too is kinda annoying. I want to turn a light on and it be its brightest not some lower mode.

great review tho SB as usual.

Last edited:

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
On the graph, I think the NCR18650PF have 2900 mAh not 2600 mAh.

Thanks for the review!

Capolini

Banned
Last edited by a moderator:

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
We will be happy to forgive you for doing such great work!
thumbs-up.gif
flag-of-canada.gif

I agree with capolini, this review has convinced me to get this light in NW. But, my wallet would like to disagree.

Does anyone know if high drain cells such as PF's or BD's are required for turbo? The only other light I have like this is a MM15vn and that definitely needs high drains for turbo...

Capolini

Banned
TN36-Battery-1.gif

There really isn't much of a difference in the output level or runtime pattern, beyond the expected runtime differences of the different rated capacities. There is a slight bump in initial output with these high-drain-rated cells (especially the INR), but you can only detect this with a light meter. The higher drain-rated cells do step-down later in the process (i.e., there isn't much runtime left once step-down occurs at the end of the runs).

Quality genuine Panasonic cells work fine on ALL modes. I am using K'Power 3400Mah

The rest is in his review!

TN36-Battery-1.gif

There really isn't much of a difference in the output level or runtime pattern, beyond the expected runtime differences of the different rated capacities. There is a slight bump in initial output with these high-drain-rated cells (especially the INR), but you can only detect this with a light meter. The higher drain-rated cells do step-down later in the process (i.e., there isn't much runtime left once step-down occurs at the end of the runs).

Quality genuine Panasonic cells work fine on ALL modes. I am using K'Power 3400Mah

The rest is in his review!

Ripper, I've got 4 Blazar protected 3400's ready to go for this bad boy! Cheers

Travelmate

Newly Enlightened
Too bad no lanyard hole otherwise I would have grab it. I've the MM15 and the lanyard hole helps a lot in my work when I'm climbing vertical ladders onboard the ship. Can't expect me every time to keep and remove the light in my belt pouch. Too troublesome to do that.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Too bad no lanyard hole otherwise I would have grab it. I've the MM15 and the lanyard hole helps a lot in my work when I'm climbing vertical ladders onboard the ship. Can't expect me every time to keep and remove the light in my belt pouch. Too troublesome to do that.
Should be coming soon I would think, as there are reports of the TN4A with redesigned tailcap (with lanyard holes) now shipping. The TN36 is similar in design, so I would expect they are working on it.

R1-Dave

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped. I emailed them last week and they said they would have them to be shipped this week. Still nothing. Kinda bumbed about it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I ordered mine weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped. I emailed them last week and they said they would have them to be shipped this week. Still nothing. Kinda bumbed about it.
Seems to be a very popular light for them, guess it's taking a while to build inventory. Hope it comes soon for you.

And :welcome:

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Hm. Ordered mine on Amazon and got it within 24h.

Nice light. VERY small, too. Noticably smaller than my TM-26, for example.

But in hindsight I would have been happier with a _little_ tighter spill radius - he spill is so bright and the relfectors so shallow that you illuminate the ground directly in front of you too much.

I got the neural version, and its seems they use hybrid binnings in those MK-Rs? Each of the three LEDs in my lights have a par of slightly purplish and a par of slightly greenish tint, side by side.

Also, the light can easily burn holes through black paper :D

R1-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I just got an email that my TN36 has shipped ! I ordered direct from Thrunite. When you order, it doesn't say if they have stock on the item. Oh well, if have 20 other lights to use while I wait.

ThruNite© TN36 is the best flooder flashlight. NW thoroughly tested on solo hike. CW in airmail from hkequipment. Will buy the lanyard ones in the future. Great flood light; easiest on the eyes.

Last edited: