Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting aside all the technical data,,, I am NOT a fan of NiMH Batteries for many reasons and only use L.ion!!

Even where NiMH make more sense? :confused:

So these types of lights are not in my collection. Nothing wrong w/ the light,just personal preference. If somehow they could work for L. Ion I would consider them.

Sure, you could stick in one 14500 cell, and 3 spacers. It would probably work. :shrug:

Capolini

Banned
Even where NiMH make more sense? :confused:

Sure, you could stick in one 14500 cell, and 3 spacers. It would probably work. :shrug:

I think you are misunderstanding me! I understand that they[L.Ion] can not be used. For me it is not about trying to get L.Ion to work because they are NOT intended for these types of lights.

I just do NOT like the Chemistry of NiMH and how difficult it is to get a full charge using multi-chargers. In addition they[both AA and AAA] have lost capacity while not in use much faster than my 18650's.

I only HAD One[1] 4 X AA light. I was not going to buy a charger specific to NiMH just for my EA4! Later on I got a AAA light for my car. Same results,,difficult to get a full charge and batteries lost capacity too quickly while being idle.

I have only Two lights[Modded] that take 16340. I do not like them much either but I LOVE the power of my D25Cvn and PD12vn!

That leaves[yes I am a flashaholic!] 37 lights that take my favorite battery,,,,,,18650!

I am just not a fan of AA or AAA batteries. A single cell or Two cell 18650 can be just as compact if not more and deliver a lot more power! Example: My SC62. Much more compact and puts out ~1000 lumens! :) Going in the other direction[Throw] I have a SWM C20Cvn that is ~600 lumens and 20Kcd. Single cell 18650 just like the SC62!

So, without taking anymore from this thread,,,,,,,,,,,that is it!

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just do NOT like the Chemistry of NiMH and how difficult it is to get a full charge using multi-chargers. In addition they[both AA and AAA] have lost capacity while not in use much faster than my 18650's.

Ah, okay, now I get it. You've never tried low-self-discharge NiMH cells, such as Eneloops.

Capolini

Banned
Ah, okay, now I get it. You've never tried low-self-discharge NiMH cells, such as Eneloops.

no..they were the only ones I used! Below is in my post # 5!!! lol!

I have stayed away from enloops NIMH since then.Another thing was that is was hard to tell when they were charged using the multi-battery type chargers,,ie I4/ARE-C2

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
One question... if the flashlight is in turbo or moonlight mode. What happens if you long-press the button? Will it switch back to normal mode?
Yes, a long press will move you through the 3 regular modes, in repeating sequence (Lo > Med > Hi > Lo > Med > Hi etc.). You need to use the shortcuts to return to the moonlight or Turbo modes.

And :welcome:

Misery

Newly Enlightened
Yes, a long press will move you through the 3 regular modes, in repeating sequence (Lo > Med > Hi > Lo > Med > Hi etc.). You need to use the shortcuts to return to the moonlight or Turbo modes.

And :welcome:

Thanks for your answer!
By the way.... I mailed to Thrunite and got interesting answer. :)

Code:
Thanks for your message.
It will take a long time for the TN4A neutral white version to be released.
We are planning to release a new version with a hold for lanyard.
Any new info, we will update on our Official site.

Dubois

Enlightened
Think I'd prefer a neutral version than a hole for a lanyard (typo from Thrunite)

T-Freak

Newly Enlightened
Very nice review! I got my TN4A yesterday from Amazon. The torch wanted not working first. I think the problems are in context with the very small battery-cage. I don't understand why the manufacturer designed the cage too little for high capacity batterys. :confused: But the TN6A runs now and I think it is a very good torch with a interesting pricepoint. :thumbsup:

Misery

Newly Enlightened
The new version will be available soon:

TN4A CW is available in China now. Release date in DE and US is on Feb 12,2015.
For orders placed after Jan 22,2015, TN4A comes with a lanyard and a batch number below the logo "TN4A".

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn4a-cw/

IMG_7245__69124.1421975481.1280.1280.JPG

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
in experimenting with high capacity Nimhs in my TN4A I have now gotten the battery carrier completely STUCK in the light! Decided to try a fresh set of Powerex 2700mah cells which I had to fight to get them in the carrier and now the carrier is stuck in the light and wont budge no matter how I tap it bang on it whatever. I should have known. The Eneloop Pros I had in it before were tight enough as it was. Hoping I dont have to take a thin knife to it to pry it out....

I love how Thrunite truly does seem to be reading these threads! The new version with the lanyard attachment point is right out of this boards suggestions! Now about that battery carrier....oh and Im still convinced there is NO glare coating on my lens...

Hi Selfbuilt, you were right on about this light needing a lanyard. I received mine today from Amazon. I had ordered it the same day it came back in stock and chose one-day shipping. I just returned from testing it in the mountains. The lanyard gives one a real sense of security that the light will not go flying into the crevasse should one lose grip of it. This light is absolutely perfect in every way. Thank you again in being our voice. I am a flashaholic because of you and ThruNite(r). Love it!:twothumbs

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Selfbuilt, you were right on about this light needing a lanyard. I received mine today from Amazon. I had ordered it the same day it came back in stock and chose one-day shipping. I just returned from testing it in the mountains. The lanyard gives one a real sense of security that the light will not go flying into the crevasse should one lose grip of it.
Excellent, glad to hear these are shipping already.

joshjp

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, I want this light, but I don't know what rechargeable Batts will fit in here? I want to get the Enel oops Pro, but it seems they don't fit.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review, I want this light, but I don't know what rechargeable Batts will fit in here? I want to get the Enel oops Pro, but it seems they don't fit.
Yeah, they are definitely very tight in the TN4A carrier. I'd recommend sticking with regular eneloops, unless Thrunite adjusts the carrier design.

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure this is the UI I've been hoping for in one of these 4xAAs. I was just waiting for NW, and this morning they went up for sale at amazon listing an in-stock date of Feb-7. The NW does use XM-L2 -- I don't know what impact that has on the beam vs XP-L.

Looks like it comes with lanyard. I wonder if they adjusted the carrier; that would be nice. Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks :)