Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my TN4A in the mail today - XP-L NW version. I only have one other 4xAA light to compare it to - a Starry Light SA-22 that was a group buy over at BLF. It has a Neutral White XM-L2 T6 emitter, labeled as a 3C tint, and a smooth reflector. I wanted to post some photos, but the differences just don't show up on camera.

In terms of tint, the Thrunite is definitely on the warm side. I got a Thrunite T10t with the neutral XP-L a few days ago, and they're both on the warm side of neutral, as compared to the SL's XM-L2, which to my eyes looks perfectly neutral. If you don't like yellowish tints you probably won't like the XP-L NW version. I'm assuming that the XP-L HI is cooler, and closer to neutral based on the photos I've seen here and elsewhere. Personally, I'm quite happy with it.

The Starry Light claims 900 lumens and a 260m beam distance vs. the Thrunite's 1150 lumens and 326m beam distance, so I expected the Thrunite to be a little bit brighter and throw a farther. I'd say the Thrunite is a touch brighter, but the real difference is the spill is a LOT wider. In terms of throw, it's kind of hard to say because it was kind of misty / foggy outside tonight, which I'm sure was cutting down the distance. The Maglite I normally use as my comparison thrower can normally reach a line of trees behind my house that's about 200m away & light up a tree quite well. Tonight, it was struggling to reach the tree line at all. I tried pointing it at another group of trees 150m away, & it lit one up. However, at that same distance, the Thrunite was lighting up three trees instead of the Maglite's one - just not as brightly.

The really interesting thing for me - and the main reason I wanted to post - was to mention the hot spot itself. On both of my XP-L NW lights, the hot spot isn't really defined at all - even close up, it's just kind of a blur. I only have a handful of other lights, but all them have a well defined hot spot with a clear line between the hot spot and the spill - just like in the photos CelticCross74, Selfbuilt, and others have posted. However, with both of my XP-L NW lights, there's definitely a brighter spot in the middle, but you'd be hard pressed to tell where the hot spot ends and the spill begins. I tried to take a picture of this, but my phone just doesn't capture it - the photo shows a definite hot spot, which doesn't exist in real life. I think I'll try to borrow my wife's DSLR tomorrow to see if I can get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Two other general observations about the TN4A:
1. It is small but remarkably heavy. I remember when the first EA4 4xAA first became popular, someone pointed out that it could fit inside a toilet paper tube. I thought these lights had gotten bigger since then, but the TN4A still fits almost entirely in a TP tube (the bezel sticks out about 1cm as that part is too wide). However, at 218g it's about 50g heavier than the popular Sunwayman D40A, which is about the weight of 2 eneloops. That's fairly significant in a 4xAA light. If I wanted to throw this light in a pocket it would certainly fit, but I was concerned about weight I think I'd go with the Sunwayman instead. In fact, if Sunwayman ever comes out with a D40A with an XP-L HI, I'd probably consider that instead based on the weight alone if I wanted a throwy light in this size. On the other hand, the Thrunite seems very well built and sturdy - if you want a light with "heft" it certainly has it!
2. I love the UI! After reading Selfbuilt's review, the UI (and the lack of a timed stepdown) had me convinced that the TN4A was the light I wanted, and the UI doesn't disappoint. While the electronic switch isn't as definite as a true clicky mechanical switch, it's perfectly silent. I use firefly mode in light a lot when I want to walk around the house in the dark without waking anyone up, and a quiet switch is good for that.

Anyway, in conclusion, if you're happy with a warm tint, a loosely defined hot spot, and tons of spill, get the XP-L NW version. If that's not your cup of tea, you should probably consider the XP-L HI. I'm hoping that someone who has both will eventually post an outdoor video comparison of the two!

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great description! It is very hard for me to get tint differences down on film and also how the hot spot to spill definition/diffusion actually looks in person. TN4A is tough. I am convinced I could throw it 30 feet and it would be fine. The tint on my NW XML2 is very very warm it doesnt show in my pics though. Only the HI shows up on camera correctly so far.

totobel

Newly Enlightened
In terms of tint, the Thrunite is definitely on the warm side. I got a Thrunite T10t with the neutral XP-L a few days ago, and they're both on the warm side of neutral, as compared to the SL's XM-L2, which to my eyes looks perfectly neutral. If you don't like yellowish tints you probably won't like the XP-L NW version. I'm assuming that the XP-L HI is cooler, and closer to neutral based on the photos I've seen here and elsewhere. Personally, I'm quite happy with it.

You have to be extremely carefull with this.
The goal is not to have a warm or a cold colour.
The goal is to have an accurate representation of the reality.
CW will change the colour of the nature, the grass will not be green, the trees will change colour, the fur of an animal will look strange.
If you care about that, NW is pretty much the only option possible.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
CW will change the colour of the nature, the grass will not be green, the trees will change colour, the fur of an animal will look strange.

You're over playing the tint of most cool whites. It is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Except for the fur part, shone it on my cat and it was actually a dog ....

DPRoberts

Newly Enlightened

You're over playing the tint of most cool whites. It is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

Except for the fur part, shone it on my cat and it was actually a dog ....

Also, different people have different goals. And just to try to keep from going on a tangent - when buying the TN4A, I was looking for a good general "everyday" flashlight, to be used in emergencies, or one I can take camping, etc. I'm not necessarily looking for the best color rendition. In this case, I'm looking to temporarily replace whatever light I had been using - in emergencies when the power goes out, or when I'm not near a campfire, etc. In those situations, the lights I'm replacing are all warm - household lamps and campfires are a lot warmer than neutral. To me, it seems odd and jarring to move from one tint to another. For example, if you're sitting around a campfire and someone turns on a flashlight, to me it always looks way too cool - even if it's a neutral tint - just because I've gotten used to the warm-tinted fire. It makes the light look a lot more artificial and unnatural, even if the flashlight is a lot closer to neutral than the fire was. So, it's often just a matter of preference, & that's why I wanted a warm/neutral tint for this TN4A.

totobel

Newly Enlightened
Well, NW isn't worse than CW.
But in some situations it's much better.
So ... something that isn't worse and can be better, for me it's a win. Especially for an all-rounder.

You can chose for yourself, but information is the key.
Some youtube video focus on the nature's coulour with the 2 differents versions, it's a recommended watch.

DPRoberts : agreed, some people prefer warm white, but this isn't an option for those so ...

efoo

Newly Enlightened
Before I purchased my TN4A, I viewed a number of reviews and this YouTube review really convinced me to choose the Neutral White version. I prefer the more natural colour rendition. My primary go-to torch - Fenix LD20 is a cool white torch.

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
What about the spill brightness at lower modes in Hi version???.Is it as bright as the xpl versions??
The spill width is bigger according to the posted pic's. But does it have lesser overall flood brightness???
What differences does it have from the old jetbeam sra40 in terms of throw and spill??Anyone can post a comparison beamshot.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
will post a SRA40 vs TN4A HI pic tomorrow. TN4A HI has much more spill. But SRA40 spill brightness is brighter at lower levels.

TN4A XP-L HI & SRA40
IMG_01421_zpsf0ekkjw5.jpg

SRA40 on the right
IMG_0146_zpsnpux7cxg.jpg

Again
IMG_0143_zpsyac8bxko.jpg

SRA40 alone
IMG_0145_zpsueltxzoc.jpg

TN4A XP-L HI alone(again)
IMG_0144_zps8yixji8z.jpg

Both lights were on a lower level.

Last edited:

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
Thank-you CelticCross74.You are truely awesome. Thankyou so much for these wonderful beamshots.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
will post a SRA40 vs TN4A HI pic tomorrow. TN4A HI has much more spill. But SRA40 spill brightness is brighter at lower levels.

The SRA40 looks a bit blue in the comparison shots. I think just from the side by side, I much prefer the TN4A hi

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I made the mistake of reading this thread, and because of the bad influence of some of you here (especially CelticCross74), I now have a third Thrunite TN4A on order...this time a "HI" version to go with my regular cool white and neutral white versions. I'm just hoping it takes the wife a little while to notice a third TN4A around the house and start asking questions.:poke:

I have to say on a more serious note, that I agree with all of the positive comments in this thread. Although I don't have anything to really compare them to, I am very happy with my TN4A'. I think I could have been perfectly content with them as a matter of fact, if it weren't for the fact that I had to read this thread, and notice the HI version. Not sure that I need the extra throw, but it sounds interesting and I'm anxious to see how it compares to the other two.

Last edited:

jjp888

Newly Enlightened
+1 .just now placed order for a tn4a xplhi.Thankyou celticCross for those beautiful beamshots.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys and you are welcome. After messing with my old Canon G10 some more I finally got more or less dead on what I am seeing in terms of tint and beam profiles doing this has taken months of trial and error. As for the TN4A saga its legacy will continue for years I predict TN4A upgrades every couple of years which is of course just fine. I mean for a paltry $50 you get a stonkingly high output light that while may not be the slimmest thing is more than good enough to carry in a coat pocket or belt carry. I have noticed how much more room the battery carriers now have vs the first batches of the light. TN monitors this and other light sites so its pretty cool they picked up on this.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the XP-L NW is the only TN4A I dont have but one thing is for sure the beam diameter is the same as the other TN4A which means its massive. Would love for somebody with the XP-L NW TN4A to add some pics to this thread...anybody?

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Sorry I don't have any beam pictures, but I can say that if you shine the cool white TN4A and neutral white TN4A beam side by side, the neutral appears distinctly yellow in comparison. When shining the NW by itself the color is very nice, but next to the cool white it appears yellow in color. Hope that helps a little.

Actually if you watch the very beginning of the video in post #227 above, the stickers (denoting tint) on the boxes clearly show the colors as they appear to my eyes in the individual beams.

Last edited:

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Looking at the 4 different models of the TN4A on Amazon, the "XPL CW" and the "XM-L2 NW" show a black switch, the "HI Cool White" and the "NW XP-L" show a stainless steel-colored switch...One thing I can't tell from the Amazon photos is whether they've made any changes to the base to make it tail stand more stably.

This may have been answered earlier, but in case not, I just recently ordered and received my two Thrunite TN4A' (a NW XM-L V6 & a CW XM-L V6) from Amazon (the last week of January). Both came with the silver colored switch, and both stand perfectly flat and stable.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Just an update for those who might be thinking about ordering the TN4A HI version. I received my HI version today, and although it's still daylight and I've only been able to compare the HI version and the regular TN4A indoors here is what I can say about the beam...

They HI version hotspot is about half the size and appears brighter than that of the regular version hotspot. The spill/flood light on the HI version is the identical size to the regular version and no less bright to the eye.

I'm anxious to compare them outdoors. While waiting for the HI to arrive I became a little afraid that the HI would give up some of the nice and useful wide spill of the regular TN4A, but now that I've compared the two I'm happy to report that the HI version does not seem to sacrifice any of the flood/spill for the added throw.

Last edited: