Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

POB10

Newly Enlightened
Love the light but unfortunately the switch is starting to malfunction. It's sticking and also it has become hard to cycle through the modes. It gets stuck in low then high. Love the light. Bummed about the switch. Wondering if anyone else has issues?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
try changing out the clear rubber boot that is underneath the plastic switch. All TN4A come with that extra clear sub switch boot. Easy to change as well. As for my 3 TN4A's never had an issue

dmattaponi

Enlightened
The TN4A HI comes with the same clear rubber boot as the other TN4A. Sounds like it's worth a try.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
take a slim pair of needle nosed pliers or even a good pair of tweezers and turn the ring around the button to the left it should come loose an off easily. After that the black plastic button should easily fall right out. The clear boot under the plastic switch may take a pinch to grab and pull off but its no big deal. The clear boot is what covers the blue LED you see at the center of the black button. While apart inspect the bare area for anykind of refuse that may be causing any stickiness. Spilled soda etc. is a major culprit. To be sure take some rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip and go over the bare area and let dry. Check the blue LED itself for how well it clicks. It should be fine. Replace the old clear rubber boot with the replacement boot that came with the light. Clean the black plastic button with rubbing alcohol then dry it off. Put the black plastic switch back in place. Holding the switch down take the silver retaining ring(which I would also clean with alcohol)and screw it back into place fingers first then tight with pliers/tweezers. This should take care of your sticky switch. If it does not contact thrunite as any step after that would involve taking the light apart.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Could someone please tell me how the color temperature of the HI (only comes in CW it looks like) compares to the NW? Is the HI CW warmer than the XPL V6 CW? I prefer NW but if the HI is just on the cooler side of neutral, that's probably OK if it's the better light. I'm just not a fan of the really blue light. I was going to buy the NW but I am trying to find out more info on the color temperature of the HI and even after 3 emails to ThruNite they have been zero help.

Thanks in advance!

dmattaponi

Enlightened
The HI cool white is significantly cooler than either the cool white or neutral white tn4a. Keep in mind that the regular cw tn4a is somewhat neutral in color

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
The HI cool white is significantly cooler than either the cool white or neutral white tn4a. Keep in mind that the regular cw tn4a is somewhat neutral in color

Thank you very much for the reply, however I am even more confused now because earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the HI was on the warm side haha! Unfortunately I have to buy sight unseen.

ThruNite told me the CW is over 5000k (very cool) and the NW is under 3000K (warm side of neutral for sure), but ignored my question regarding the V6 and HI color temperature differences. I can't decide! The beam shots help somewhat, but it is dependent on the camera's white balance being flawless, which seems unlikely. Sometimes the CW shots look totally neutral, sometimes the CW shots look extremely blue - it's so hard to tell. I know I prefer color rendition over all out lumens, which is what draws me to the NW (XPL V6), but if the HI is such a better LED, I can't decide.

I have literally sent ThruNite 5 emails now, and they reply, but flat out ignore me when I ask them the color difference between the XPL V6 CW and XPL HI CW.

Last edited:

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Why not buy both on Amazon and keep the one that suits you?

Don't want to have to do that, but I may end up going that route if I can't gather enough information otherwise. I wish they published precise color temperatures, I could have my answer in 2 seconds. Or I might just get the NW and I'm sure I'll be happy with it not knowing any different haha.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Don't want to have to do that, but I may end up going that route if I can't gather enough information otherwise. I wish they published precise color temperatures, I could have my answer in 2 seconds. Or I might just get the NW and I'm sure I'll be happy with it not knowing any different haha.

With this option, you are certain to make the best choice because everyone has a different perception. I have the HI if you are near me.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
With this option, you are certain to make the best choice because everyone has a different perception. I have the HI if you are near me.

I'm in Calgary, but thank you for the generous offer. I agree, buying both or all 3 would be the easiest, but paying for return shipping on 1-2 lights that only cost $60 to begin with doesn't make as much sense. This will be my first "high end" flashlight, so no matter what I get it's probably going to blow my mind haha.

Is your HI pretty cool, temperature wise?

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I'm in Calgary, but thank you for the generous offer. I agree, buying both or all 3 would be the easiest, but paying for return shipping on 1-2 lights that only cost $60 to begin with doesn't make as much sense. This will be my first "high end" flashlight, so no matter what I get it's probably going to blow my mind haha.

Is your HI pretty cool, temperature wise?

Not as cool as my Armytek. The HI is cool with a yellowish corona.

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
Well I ordered the XPL-V6 NW and some Eneloop Pro's. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, if for some reason I hate it, I'll just exchange. Thanks for putting up with my questions, I have a tendency to overthink things and go into "paralysis by analysis" haha.

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Well I ordered the XPL-V6 NW and some Eneloop Pro's. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, if for some reason I hate it, I'll just exchange. Thanks for putting up with my questions, I have a tendency to overthink things and go into "paralysis by analysis" haha.

I took my Eneloop Pro at NCIX in Canada. They often have good specials on them. At that time, the set of 4 was cheaper than Amazon Canada. If I remember correctly, the set of 4 with a charger was 2 dollars higher than the set of 4 on Amazon but I don't use it....just in case...

The shipping was free with my order. I think it is free higher than 50.00 order.

On sale now at NCIX: Eneloop Pro AA (4) 21.99 vs 24.78 Amazon Canada.

Last edited:

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
I took my Eneloop Pro at NCIX in Canada. They often have good specials on them. At that time, the set of 4 was cheaper than Amazon Canada. If I remember correctly, the set of 4 with a charger was 2 dollars higher than the set of 4 on Amazon but I don't use it....just in case...

The shipping was free with my order. I think it is free higher than 50.00 order.

On sale now at NCIX: Eneloop Pro AA (4) 21.99 vs 24.78 Amazon Canada.

I saw that actually, but they want $8.00 for shipping since I didn't need anything else. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I just got them from Amazon along with the flashlight itself ($63.00 for the light). What I did notice though is that nobody in Canada seems to have the 2015 version of the Eneloop Pro's - just the 2014 version. We'll see when they show up, maybe I will be surprised by the latest version.

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
I saw that actually, but they want $8.00 for shipping since I didn't need anything else. I'm an Amazon Prime member so I just got them from Amazon along with the flashlight itself ($63.00 for the light). What I did notice though is that nobody in Canada seems to have the 2015 version of the Eneloop Pro's - just the 2014 version. We'll see when they show up, maybe I will be surprised by the latest version.

The stamp on mine is 15 01 MR...(01 mars 2015) made in Japan. Bought on september from Ncix. Keep posted with the one from Amazon.

recDNA

Flashaholic
try changing out the clear rubber boot that is underneath the plastic switch. All TN4A come with that extra clear sub switch boot. Easy to change as well. As for my 3 TN4A's never had an issue
Which model has the greatest throw? Did you measure the throw? I see the reading for the normal model but not the hi everyone is talking about. Thanks!

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
The stamp on mine is 15 01 MR...(01 mars 2015) made in Japan. Bought on september from Ncix. Keep posted with the one from Amazon.

Will do - I was just going off of the product number and package design, everything was 2014 but sometimes they just don't update the ads, and the end up shipping the new ones. The 2015 Pro's are model number: BK-3HCDE And everything I saw was BK-3HCC (2014). Also the 2015 packaging appears significantly different. We will see what they send though, I will report back.