Thrunite TN4A (XP-L V6, 4xAA) review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
Update on my warranty attempt. It took a few emails back and forth but I am getting a new TN4A HI shipped. Just waiting for a tracking #.
Make sure you keep your proof of purchase. Print out your receipt from Amazon or EBay etc. and keep it with the box or somewhere in case you need it. First thing they'll ask for. Hopefully nobody need it.
Cheers!

what's the warranty period?

CanadaLight2

Newly Enlightened
what's the warranty period?

30 days return/replace (any reason)
2 years replace (if defective)

They also list a "limited lifetime" warranty which is a scam, if you read the fine print says you pay for everything including parts & shipping both ways, so there is no warranty beyond 2 years like they imply.

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the warranty info. once i bothered to read the manual, i noticed it's written just as you described including their ridiculous "lifetime" warranty.

also, wanted to say that i received my neutral white tn4a today and my impression is exactly the same as yours. the low and medium settings are much yellower than i expected. maybe my eyes are just used to the cooler white indoor led and cfl bulbs. after spending some time in my completely dark basement testing out the light, i feel like i should've gotten the cool white version. i have the HI version coming in tomorrow, and hope to take both out to the woods to test them out, i suppose that's the only way to know which i'll prefer since it'll be used mostly in the woods while camping.

POB10

Newly Enlightened
Received a replacement from Amazon today. Which was very fast and appreciated. I did have to send them a copy of my return receipt(which I paid for) but not a huge deal. Very cool light. I use it all the time. The spill is much brighter and useful than I can capture on my iPhone camera.

Last edited:

POB10

Newly Enlightened
I consider this an outdoor light and use it for far beam shot work. If you want an indoor compact light. Grab the Olight S1. Hilariously bright in something so small.
Cheers!

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Which one do you prefer?

That's actually not as easy to answer as I might have thought. They are all nice, but...

I think I prefer the neutral white over the cool white (although the cool white is a tad on the warmer side, so I'd be satisfied with it if that's all I had).

I also think I prefer the regular TN4A to the HI version, because it has adequate throw, with a much wider hot spot than the HI version (but again, there are times when I might prefer the HI. The difference as my wife described it is, the regular provides something like "a wall of light", while the HI version is more like laser, with a very bright, and significantly tighter/smaller hot spot, but still maintains good flood).

I don't mean to sound so non-committal. Again if I were to choose one, I guess it would be the regular version in neutral white (but not by a large margin). It has a vehicle headlight quality about it.

They all are literally blinding on HI, Turbo, and Strobe. I think the strobe would be a viable self-defense option on this light. You definitely can't look directly at it, and even when not looking directly at it, all you can see is something like little stars of light shooting all around you, to the point that everything else is blackened out (including where the light and person holding the light is coming from). You just can't see anything else.

I have on the bedroom nightstand, another in the main living area of the house, a third in my SUV, and I've not decided for sure what I'm doing with the 4th yet, but for now it is in my "go bag".

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its good to see the TN4A thread still going! Still rocking my 3 TN4A's(CW,NW and HI). Dont have a favorite as all 3 have their own advantages etc. although I must say BOY the HI can throw! Best thing about these lights is that they cost 50 bucks each and the build quality and design is first rate top shelf all the way. I am totally confident I could not only drop one of my TN4A's from 6 feet and it would be fine I am confident I could throw one 30 feet into a shallow creek and it would just keep cranking. None of my 3 TN4A's actually get "hot" it is strange. Warm? Okay sure but it is just kind of warm. For the heck of it I am running my HI off of fresh Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's because 3000mah is no joke and they crank 1.5v or very close to it until they die. I would like to say the light cranks harder with the Energizers but do not have any kind of measuring equipment to really make a verdict. Sure cranks though. I have yet to actually see any of my 3 TN4A's get hot enough to step down off turbo. I have left a couple on turbo until the batteries just started giving out. Maybe its my eyesight Idk. I just know TN4A is one of the best high output LED lights there is.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
CelticCross said,

". although I must say BOY the HI can throw! Best thing about these lights is that they cost 50 bucks each and the build quality and design is first rate top shelf all the way. I am totally confident I could not only drop one of my TN4A's from 6 feet and it would be fine I am confident I could throw one 30 feet into a shallow creek and it would just keep cranking. None of my 3 TN4A's actually get "hot" it is strange. Warm? Okay sure but it is just kind of warm..."

Agreed on all counts, and just to add a bit more to the conversation from what I said in my last post, last night I had opportunity to compare the regular TN4A with the TN4A HI both around my home and out on my brother in law's farm. At home I prefer the regular. It does a great job here where my max distance is probably about 100 yards. As I mentioned previously, I was kinda thinking the HI was not really needed that is until last night while getting some time out on the farm where distances are much bigger. In this environment the HI version really shines (sorry no pun intended). If I lived on the farm I would definitely prefer the significant increase in throw at distance, and penetration between trees (where much of the regular TN4A flood is reflected back, the HI goes right through and illuminates what is beyond). At home I still prefer the regular version, but on the farm I would definitely opt for the HI where the difference in throw and beam profile really makes a difference in the expanses of fields, intermixed with woodlots.

I also noticed the deer didn't seem bothered by the regular TN4A but the HI version would quickly get them moving away from the light.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam profiles between the non HI and HI TN4A's is indeed pretty extreme. To my eyes my standard CW and NW TN4A's are flooders with throw if that makes any sense. The HI is a totally different beast altogether. Very bright, very well defined and bright hot spot profile that throws well enough to really give the user a good impression of the "depth" of the range of the light its very well done by TN. Gotta add I also recently got the ET S200C2 HI CW and it is scary good. Not as good as the TN4A HI but still amazing.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
[QUOTETo my eyes my standard CW and NW TN4A's are flooders with throw if that makes any sense. The HI is a totally different beast altogether. Very bright, very well defined and bright hot spot profile that throws well enough to really give the user a good impression of the "depth" of the range of the light its very well done by TN. ][/QUOTE]

Yes...having both lights I know what you mean, and that is a good description. The regular TN4A, and TN4A HI, although the same on the outside, are definitely very different from each other in application due to the differences in beam qualities..

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know where i can purchase spare battery carriers for the TN4A?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ohhh man...I am unaware of being able to purchase a spare carrier. If that was an option it would be likely listed on the TN site. Still glad to see this thread going. Have now switched all 3 off my TN4A's over to L91 AA's. Bought a bulk box of them for a good price. Notice the observations of the tint of the XP-L NW TN4A above. That is an odd thing having the neutral tint color be more neutral at the lower settings vs the top two outputs. I have the older XML2 NW TN4A. This XML2 NW TN4A does not have this problem at all. The tint is exactly the same at all output levels.

Unfortunately Ive gotta now deal with returning my NW TN12 2016. The tint out of the light is pretty far from neutral it is literally violet. Fist problem I have had with any TN light.

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
i emailed thrunite's customer service via their website, and was asked to send them my order number and address. hope to get a new carrier in the mail soon. :)

TorchesSansFourches

Newly Enlightened
does anyone know where i can purchase spare battery carriers for the TN4A?

It's been awhile since you posted this, but I'm curious: was your need for another carrier because the original failed?

I just received my TN4A NW, and much to my dismay, I haven't been able to get any use out of it beyond burning my fingers removing the batteries from a shorting carrier (I guess that's what happened?).

Here's a summary:

1. Flashlight is unboxed;
2. Battery carrier is removed, and fully-charged Eneloop Pros are <b>correctly</b> inserted;
3. Carrier is set aside for approximately 20-30 seconds while I inspect the body threads, interior battery compartment for grease, debris, etc.;
4. Heavy burning smell is noticed. I grab the carrier and can barely hold it, burning my fingers on the glowing springs trying to remove the extremely hot batteries;
5. Batteries having been removed, inspection of the carrier reveals that the negative terminal springs on two adjacent battery-slots are burned / discolored, and the two springs are really no longer springs ... the metal has hardened and shrunk (basically the springs are permanently, completely compressed and <b>cannot</b> be returned to the original shape / length). It also looks like the solder melted and re-hardened, not sure (what temps would be required for the spring-reconfigure and / or solder melting to have occurred?).

Anyone have any thoughts on all this?

The batteries are fine (or <b>were</b> fine). I used the (almost-new) Eneloop Pros during the first fiasco, but I tested with some brand-new, never-used, fully-charged Imedions (wearing safety glasses and gloves this time), all to the same effect.

I've actually avoided the 'exotic' batteries in preference to AAs, but maybe I was wrong to be so prejudiced.

Just a final note to clarify: I never actually inserted the carrier into the flashlight body ... luckily so. The TN4A will be going back, and I guess I'll get a replacement NW as I was not even able to use this incident to determine if I like the neutral XP-L.

Thanks.
------

Photos

1 Full image of battery carrier; note the two normal spring contacts, and the two 'burned' springs.
IMG_0006_mod_resize_zps0sxjbjph.jpg

2 Close-up of 'burned' spring #1 (it is not as discolored as the one in the next photo, but otherwise shares the hardened, permanently compressed characteristics).
IMG_0010_mod_resize_zpsi6wnqw9b.jpg

3 Close-up of 'burned' spring #2 (note the bluing and missing brass plating).
IMG_0011_mod_resize_zpsf6ftolla.jpg

4 The next two photos are included to show that the 'top' and 'bottom' contact surfaces appear undamaged despite the extreme sizzle that the two negative contact-springs took.
IMG_0012_mod_resize_zpshrgkkl29.jpg

IMG_0013_mod_resize_zpsgomerzfy.jpg

6 And finally, the two sets of batteries I tried.
IMG_0016_mod_resize_zpsshmxlclt.jpg

novasquid

Newly Enlightened
It's been awhile since you posted this, but I'm curious: was your need for another carrier because the original failed?

I just wanted a spare carrier in case I lost the original.

that's crazy how your carrier turned out, I assume the wiring at the factory must've been done incorrectly. you should also email thrunite with pics, maybe they can track down where it failed in the manufacturing process.

TorchesSansFourches

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted a spare carrier in case I lost the original.

that's crazy how your carrier turned out, I assume the wiring at the factory must've been done incorrectly.

Thanks for the reply.

As for potential reasons, I'm leaning towards misapplied solder contacting a trace on one of the PCBs.

I'll definitely be testing the carrier before doing anything else when the replacement flashlight arrives. But, even if everything checks out OK, which is likely the case, I'm probably going to be so paranoid from this incident that I'll end up removing the batteries after each use ... and that's going to get old.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Selfbuilt for this review (yes, even a year plus later).
I have been moving away from AA cell lights, towards 18650's. But I read a story about the availability of batteries (again) in a disaster. Newer 18650's and even CR123's may not be handy to order or find wherever I am at...... So, the always available AA are.
I just ordered a TN4A and some Eneloop Pro's. (Hope I do not have the QC issue as have been reported recently).

Lateck,

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
and the mighty TN4A review thread marches on!! TorchesSansFourches that is one screwed up carrier!! I have 3 TN4A's and have had zero problems with any of them at all. I power them all with L91 AA Energizer Lithiums for max capacity(3000mah)and the fact they are ultra heat and cold resistant and crank 1.5v right up until they die. I was using Eneloop Pro's but got a good deal on a bulk box of L91's. Man your carrier seems to have been wired backwards at the factory. I truly hope TN took care of you. I still cannot pick a favorite out of my 3 TN4A's. My CW version is from the first run of CW TN4A's it does not have a lanyard hole or serial number. The CW version has the "boiling" hot spot and corona thats the only way I can describe the constant tint shifting of the hot spot and corona it literally looks like its boiling. Got used to it though and gotta say that its the warmest CW Ive yet seen. My NW TN4A is one of the original XML2 NW versions it is incredible. The tint is easily 4000k or below no tint shifting. I use that one the most. The HI version is what I take with me on night trips. The HI beam is utterly massive in diameter with one of the most concentrated and defined hot spots Ive seen. So...did TN take care of you?