• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Ti threads - to lube or not to lube?

archer6817j

Enlightened
Doesn't anyone use Nano-Oil anymore? I was trying to find the best lubricant and I did side by sides with krytox, nyogel, super-lube and Nano-Oil. It works especially well on Ti, in terms of feel. Full disclosure, I do sell the stuff, but I'm speaking as a consumer in this case. It just plain works better. However, I think Nyogel can't be beat for a v10 adjuster ring :) I always wondered how they got that buttery feel on volume knobs of high end stereo equipment. Turns out it's Nyogel :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
I use Nano Oil on a bunch of things, but not Ti threads. I tried it on a Ti light and it was too chattery.

Actually I thought it was too chattery as well, when I first applied it. However, I used it for a couple weeks and now it's like butter. I actually wonder if the 85 weight would work the best for threads. It might have the nice feel of grease with the cleanliness of oil. Anyone tried that yet?

fyrstormer

Banned
Actually I thought it was too chattery as well, when I first applied it. However, I used it for a couple weeks and now it's like butter. I actually wonder if the 85 weight would work the best for threads. It might have the nice feel of grease with the cleanliness of oil. Anyone tried that yet?
If my experience holds true for others as well, it probably smoothed out because little bits of Ti wore off and mixed with the oil to produce a rolling agent. It's possible something else is going on, but without an electron microscope I couldn't say for sure.

JAYKAY75

Newly Enlightened
haha thanks frystormer, great thread, let me know if that last spot is still availale and I'm more than happy to send some shipping money your way :)

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There was a mention of lithium grease earlier in this thread, so I did a bit of research in the CPF archives.

I found the following thread pretty interesting and thought that others here might have missed it the first time around as well:
Titanium thread grease

I've got an old tube of lithium grease in my bicycle stuff and was thinking of giving it a shot for my Ti Mako ...

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh hey, look, that's one of mine.

Lithium grease doesn't work well on titanium. The base oil has no additives to help it adhere to the slippery titanium surface, and the thickener prevents the base oil from re-flowing around the threads when you twist the head. Adding the baking soda does help for a while, but it also prevents the threads from touching, which will cause your Mako to malfunction since the threads are part of the electrical path.

Last edited:

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
What about dry film lubricants? Or does this compromise o-ring efficiancy? Like dipping Ti in something, then it dries. Like teflon on cooking gear like pans?

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 3M PTFE Tape on my PD-S.

It works great, you just have to change it every time you swap batteries.

scout24

Flashaholic
I'm a Krytox fan, but couldn't tell you the last time I cleaned and lubed my Haiku. Probably 20-30 battery changes ago? The threads seem to find their own happy place, with no additional buildup, and stay nice and smooth... :eek:

iineijbaldj

Newly Enlightened
Quick note to consider using wax for lube.

I'm a materials scientist.

Try using wax for your lubes. It won't attract and hold grit or grime. If it happens to.. it wipes away and
it's not 'greasy'. Reapplication is inexpensive and won't harm things.

Get familiar with it by trying 'candle wax' or beeswax. You can always learn more by mixing
your wax with a light solvent like a bit of kerosenne. A popular shoe wax is, I think,

beeswax and a bit of kerosene. Brand name is sno-seal. I use it occasionally to lube things. It's
useful for many things.

Just become familiar with your choices and try to learn where things originated for 'best results'.

fyrstormer

Banned
It's also called White Lightning, at least when sold for use on bike chains. Though for bike chains it's advertised as being effective because it *does* capture grit, and then flakes off.

autumncrown

Newly Enlightened
Any good off the shelf solutions folks recommend in 2021? I have been using nano oil 10 weight and it's ok but maybe not the best.

P.S. hope everyone had a good decade since the previous post.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Krytox GPL 207, it is quite viscous and does not spread

GPL-207.jpg