Tigervision handheld NIR device

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Burlington Police receive a Tigervision night-vision device.

I've gotta wonder how useful this will be for long-range surveillance though. Since the IR LEDs probably don't have much throw, the only way to get any range would be to use a beam-expanded IR laser as an illuminator.

Your thoughts?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you define as long range surveillence.
I purchased some 870nm IR leds from another member (Hubbard-see this thread) and while they are barely visable, they are very narrow focus leds in that at 10 degrees off axis they are down to 50% brightness. They might even be tighter than this. These leds, when massed in a group of 15 and aimed at the same point, can really put some good IR on things 600 feet away to the point that even a lowly first gen+ night vision device gets a very usable image. These leds have very good output.
Is 600 feet long range?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
600 feet is impressive for an LED cluster, although that's coupled with a night vision device. I'm gathering that the TigerVision system uses a regular CCD pickup...?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
LumenHound said:
I don't think a "$5000.00 device" would use a regular CCD pickup.

Wanna bet?

:huh:

They're claiming 100 yards, and it looks like the unit has an array of about a dozen IR leds. Everything else about tle specs suggests it's a regular video camera (30fps, 450 lines, 1vP-P into 75 ohms). Even the photograph on their home page looks like it came from a regular CCD video camera.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's no wonder they couldn't sell them and ended up giving them away for the good PR it would bring.
I'll bet the 12 volt cordless drill rechargeable battery set-up cost more than $15. A honkin' big 4 inch monochromatic view display also.
I used a 4 inch monochromatic view display device once. I called it the crappy black and white camping stlye TV/AM radio my parents bought back in 1974.

Corporate donation = tax writeoff.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Bingo, LumenHound. At least they chose an LCD display instead of a CRT. I think the only unique aspect of it is the built-in 2.4ghz transmitter. I'm guessing that the actual NV performance is OK if you're close to your subject, but if you're close, how covert can you be?
:thinking:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
A $5000 product like this might have flown back in the 80's when the $600 hammer and $2000 toilet seat purchases were made but in this day and age it is just ludicrous.

Hubbard

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the positive reviews of my LED arrays Lumenhoud.

I still have a bunch of these left if anyone wants some.

I took some video using these arrays with a Sony Handcam shot in NiteShot mode. I'll post it as soon as I can. An abridge version of the video is this. With the single LED(from the video cam) on a room 20x20 looks like a flashlight is being used, meaning there is a spot that is visible. With the array on, the whole room seems to light up, especially with the bounce off painted walls.

I will get pictures up ASAP.

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
I tried doing this some time ago (making various IR illuminators for gen-1 NV).
Bare LEDs don't work very well, because their light ends up short and diffuse. The only way it works very well is if each LED would have a focusable lens on it......

I tried a IR LED conversion of a mag-lite 2-D cell and the focusable head helps a LOT--with the focusable head, you could see the spot at 50+ feet, from just one 830nm IR LED @ ~50mA. (This works GOOD if you have one of these old flashlights, use a resistor in the tailcap to limit the current). -And these LEDs do glow red when powered, just a bit. So they are not invisible.

So then I tried a perfboard with 19 of the same LEDs on it, that just fit in where the regular bezel used to--and the light was WAY shorter. I had them set to run at the same current as the single-LED "bulb". But it did not work well; the light was very smooth, but wasn't really visible at all beyond about 15 feet.

So then I tried a $12 Brinkman Long Life LED light from Wal-Mart; this is a single-white LED 2xAA flashlight with no reflector, not focusable but with a plastic convex lens. It works pretty good as IR, I just ditched the regulating circuit and used a resistor instead. This flashlight/mod works better than the "19-LED setup with no beam focusing" setup did.

Also what you can do for a cheap and nearly-invisible NV light is to take a regular incandescent bulb, and current-limit it somehow to where the filament just b-a-r-e-l-y begins to glow. But then again--this is still not invisible.

I also tried the IR-filter plastic available from Edmund Scientific. They were selling 1-inch squares and 2-inch round pieces; the 2-inch round is 51mm and the lens of a big mag-lite is 52mm, so it fits right in if you remove the clear lens. The plastic appears brown/rust-colored if you look through it in daylight; on the full-powered maglite 2-D at night it glows a dim red. Not anywhere near invisible, but very bright in the NV scope. And focusable, which helps a LOT. Up close, the focused spot is too bright for a gen-1 and you have to set it to flood, but far away, you need that focused spot.

I never did find any cheap way to get totally-invisible IR that would also show up in a gen-1 Russian NV scope. The 830-nm IR LEDs I was using tend to glow red just a bit--you can't see it off-center, but if the beam is pointed at you, you can see them. The 940-nm LEDs do stay invisible to the eye even when powered, but their light is just barely visible in gen-1 NV scopes.

Now I heavily suspect that you can't have a gen-1/2 NV light that isn't also visible to the naked eye. To have light but "stay invisible", you would need a gen-3 scope ($2500+!) and a 900+ nm light source.

---------
As for the Tigervision, I would bet it's crap.
The only way CCD is good for NV is if there's a MCP-tube in front of the CCD.
~