Titanium wire for flashlight clip

TailoredEDC

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at making my first custom flashlight, and I like the idea of having a titanium Wire clip. I have read that grade 5 is common to use for the flat spring clips.
Has anyone tried to make a wire spring clip? any thoughts of what thickness wire would be good?
I have seen TIG grade 5 wire in many different sizes.maybe that is the way to go?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am skeptical that one could get a good enough shape for titanium wire to retain any tension. I suspect a good thick SS spring wire would work far better. SS of equal thickness is far better for pocket clips than titanium, with superior tension.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am skeptical that one could get a good enough shape for titanium wire to retain any tension. I suspect a good thick SS spring wire would work far better. SS of equal thickness is far better for pocket clips than titanium, with superior tension.

+1

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
nothing keeping you from using the Ti wire as a decorative element on a Ti clip.

I enjoy fountain pens, and the Lamy Safari has a wire clip, probably stainless steel. It does work pretty well, but it's not made for retention in the pocket. Of course a flashlight will have more mass than a pen.

View attachment 9911

TailoredEDC

Newly Enlightened
I was kind of hoping that titanium wire would be fit for the task since its so common on flat clips.
I have an idea for the wire clip mounted in a completely different way than an outside screw, but it requires a wire with the right mechanical properties.

I really appreciate the inputs!

archimedes

Flashaholic

nbp

Flashaholic
Right, just illustrating that with the proper material a nice wire clip can be made. :)

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
Im on the other side of the fence. I make a lot of pocket clips for knives just to replace the wire clips on the spydercos. I despise them but I know a ton of people like them. Grade 5 is the best choice for its nice springiness and "memory". Id suggest working out a nice 3D printed jig to repeat the process. Love having a 3d printer for this kind of stuff.

stevos758

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the imput! So you make wireclips in grade5 or flat clips to replace the original?
Yes, I machine flatish ones out of grade 5 to replace the wire style clips. Grade 5 is the ideal choice because of its properties. If you want to go budget you can use steel too but I know less about steel.

TailoredEDC

Newly Enlightened
Great! Do you bend them aswell? I have understood that the bending of grade 5 is not the easiest task. Do you apply heat or is it cold bent?
If you have some pictures or a link to your products that would be greatly appreciated!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! Do you bend them aswell? I have understood that the bending of grade 5 is not the easiest task. Do you apply heat or is it cold bent?
If you have some pictures or a link to your products that would be greatly appreciated!
For the most part, .050 and thinner can do small bends cold, but anything greater than 45deg. Could need heat. Don't remember exact numbers... My clips are bent cold, but have done custom clips with 180 bends that needed to be hot....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Latest posts