TK-40 Still the brightest aa torch?

Dimmed

Newly Enlightened
Is Fenix TK-40 still the brightest aa torch money could buy? Fenix already isn't bragging about this particular torch being the worlds brightest on aa anymore. I read that mc-e has been replaced by newer sst50, however, I cant find a torch that runs on 8 aa bat with this type of led. Any enlightenment?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes it is.

There is the iTP A6 running on 6xAA, claiming that it has 700 lumens.

But in the reality the TK40 still has around 20% higher light output and much better throw. TK40 has around 18000 lux and A6 only around 6000-8000 lux.

To be fair, the iTP A6 is quite a lot cheaper.

Dimmed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Just bought a Quark tactical AA2 a couple of weeks ago. Didn't see there was something of better value per lumens out there before buying.

I guess Quark having quality means its a better backup light and iTP A6 having more lumens per price means a better EDC.

Cheers.

Jida

Newly Enlightened
I struggle with the TK-40 being dubbed a AA light.

(8) batteries?

Although technically it is all AA batteries it always felt like a brute force approach to pull this off.

Like the world's brightest cr2032 that uses 150 of the little buggers.

It is not like I have some magical number cutoff where it is legit and when it isn't,... just always struck me that way.

jahxman

Enlightened
My MAG85 is brighter with 9 AAs. Heck, my ROP is brighter with 6 AAs. A lot. Runtime? not so much.

But I believe the TK40 it still the brightest production light run on AAs, and still one of my favorites.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I struggle with the TK-40 being dubbed a AA light.

(8) batteries?

Although technically it is all AA batteries it always felt like a brute force approach to pull this off.

Like the world's brightest cr2032 that uses 150 of the little buggers.

Or..... like the worlds brightest cr2032 that uses 8 of the little buggers, instead of 150. ;)

I have no problem with the fact that is uses 8 cells. We're all aware of the voltage limitations of AA batteries and hotwire mag folks have been using rows of them happily and successfully for a long time, as jahxman states above. For the public who doesn't know about CR/RCR123's they'll often ask, what's the brightest production light that takes "regular" batteries. I think the TK40 holds a legitimate title. :)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes makes a light that may be as bright as the TK40, and it runs on 6AA's. I have not read one single thing about it yet, so I am not sure if anybody has one. PTS sells them and I have had my eyes on it. I love Wolfeyes lights, and the TK40 is my fav light right now. The WE may be a bit more robust than the TK40 if it is like other WE lights.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thing to remember with the TK40 is that it doesn't require the voltage of 8 AA cells to operate. The light only requires the voltage of 4 AA cells to offer full output.

With the TK40, you have 2 lots of 4 AA cells running in parallel offering extra runtime. I have tried my TK40 with only 4 cells and you still get 630 lumens. They say not to use Turbo mode with only 4 alkaline cells due to the very high draw rate but there is nothing stopping you from using 4 NIMH cells if you want.

James......:)

Last edited:

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Well, I can safely say brightest 4x AA light! Even with 4 Ikea alkalines! :hitit:

But i caution the use of 4x alkalines @ turbo on extended time.

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
I just decided to dedicate 12 new eneloops to it. 8 to have in it and for use, and 4 fully charged sitting in a drawyer waiting for the 8 to wear down. Then I put in the 4 fresh, and it runs just as well on turbo, and I can charge the 8 overnight.

bhuber

Newly Enlightened
I just decided to dedicate 12 new eneloops to it. 8 to have in it and for use, and 4 fully charged sitting in a drawyer waiting for the 8 to wear down. Then I put in the 4 fresh, and it runs just as well on turbo, and I can charge the 8 overnight.

I've dedicated 16 "duraloops" to mine. They travel in my B.O.B. along with a 4 cell charger if needed. Mine has been stored without lockout for a few months now, with no issues of self discharge that I can tell. I use it from time to time and periodically check function and it's still going strong on the new cells.

hazna

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes makes a light that may be as bright as the TK40, and it runs on 6AA's. I have not read one single thing about it yet, so I am not sure if anybody has one. PTS sells them and I have had my eyes on it. I love Wolfeyes lights, and the TK40 is my fav light right now. The WE may be a bit more robust than the TK40 if it is like other WE lights.

Your right, I haven't noticed that light before. Most have gotten lost among all the other MCE/P7/SST-50 lights.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I've dedicated 16 "duraloops" to mine. They travel in my B.O.B. along with a 4 cell charger if needed. Mine has been stored without lockout for a few months now, with no issues of self discharge that I can tell. I use it from time to time and periodically check function and it's still going strong on the new cells.

As has been written a couple of times, the self discharge will take about a year to drain the batteries. Just recharge them every 6 months and you always has at least half full batteries in the light.

thedeske

Enlightened

Basically the same here - 16 eneloops

I tend to borrow out of the 8 spares from time to time.
Every time I think I have enough Eneloops, I find something that needs more in the shop/office.

What ever the discharge might be in the 40, it's a non issue here.

c2k

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading and learning alot from everyone here, but isn't there a light name DEFT have this title?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have been reading and learning alot from everyone here, but isn't there a light name DEFT have this title?

Not really, but it is the light with the best throw, these pictures shows the TK40 and the DEFT:

DSC_7664a.jpg
DSC_7673a.jpg

The pictures are from here, where I test a couple of lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know you are not allowed to use energizer lithium primaries in the TK40 because the voltage is too high.

I wonder if anybody has ever done it and what happened? Does it just toast the LED? I remember when the TK40 first came out a lot of people said they used lithiums. Maybe those were all the returns 4Sevens has complained about with this light! LOL

I wonder if it is safe to use FOUR lithium primaries since the voltage would be so much lower?

BTW, what is the correct battery configuration when using 4 eneloops? I've never tried to run my TK40 on 4 batteries but I should know how in the even of emergency.

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened
The TK40 has a 4S2P configuration, so using only four lithiums wouldn't lower the voltage.
For using four batteries, you load one side with the + facing up and a side with the + facing down.

I know you are not allowed to use energizer lithium primaries in the TK40 because the voltage is too high.

I wonder if anybody has ever done it and what happened? Does it just toast the LED? I remember when the TK40 first came out a lot of people said they used lithiums.

IIRC, when the TK40 first came out lithiums were not barred. It was only after some folks started having problems and 4Sevens took in a number of returns for fried lights that they had to put the kabosh on lithium. Again IIRC it was that if the user puts exactly one lithium in with incorrect polarity the polarity protection would not work and the cell would rapidly heat up:poof:.

I believe there are still a lot of folks using lithium at their own risk so long as they strictly observe polarity.