TK45 Extensive review (Beamshots from 3 exclusive locations!)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excelent review, one of the best that I read. Nice work:thumbsup:
We made beamshots TK45 for our test
Looks nice http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?model=81&scene=1&mode=0

Thanks for the compliment.

I like your setup, lots and lots of work involved!

Looks like the final production model of the TK45 could throw as far as the TK40 with the same brightness, but only wider (did I mention it's my favorite light?). I have to say that I'm tempted to buy one both for sheer pleasure and out of curiosity.

One question: how low is the low? On my test sample, it's a lot less aggressive than the low of the TK40, which I appreciate a lot, but wonder if it's due to the fact it has R4 LEDs, or just an illusion because the light is more diffuse. Could you give me your impressions on this, perhaps even take a side-by-side picture?

DM51

Flashaholic
Another member has drawn my attention to this review, and I'm very grateful to him for that as I hadn't seen it.

This is EXCELLENT work! There may be no graphs, runtime plots or techical measurements, but in every other way this does exactly what a review should do, which is to give people an idea of what the light is like in use. This is so well detailed in description that I feel I now know exactly what the TK45 is like. Very good real-world beamshots, too. All in all, superb! :clap:

I'm moving it to the Reviews section.

DLF

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't agree more w/DM51's reactions. As someone who has been writing detailed reviews of things since high school (for about 3 decades now!), this is what a real-world product review should aspire to be.

Bravo & Hallelujah, Cataract!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow... thank you so much guys. I felt I was being inspired, but I didn't expect to hit it this hard.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks in part to this review, I placed an order for a brand new Fenix TK45 this past weekend. It's due to arrive at my door on 7-19-10 and I can't wait. Time to get my sleeping bag, make a warm fire, and camp out by the mailbox. :candle: :popcorn:

I liked how your review directly compared the TK45 to a well-known light that you (and I) have a lot of experience with, the TK40. It was great of Fenix to send the TK45 to various users for testing, but my only complaint about their testing method was that they sent it to people that don't have any other large, AA powered LED lights. Thus some (not all) of the reviews were written from the perspective of testers that really didn't have much to directly compare the TK45 to. The reviews were as good as could be but they just didn't look at the TK45 as I or any other TK40 owner would. Your review certainly did that.

Thanks again Cataract for helping me to decide on buying a TK45! :thumbsup:

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got mine last week and your review made me feel even better about my purchase. Thank you for all the work you did in this review. I'm looking forward to more of your reviews in the future.

lovecpf

linty

Newly Enlightened
My TK45 just arrived at my door a few minutes ago!

:party: :party: :party:

Lucky! Mine has to cross customs so gotta wait a bit. By the way, this review was VERY thorough, and quite a good read. Thanks for putting in such an effort.

Alphanumeric

Newly Enlightened
Hey cataract, would you be able to get some more beamshots from the sun and moon towers with other lights? I'd like to see how well others stack up, just for fun.

Also, could you do a side-by-side for headlight comparisons as well? I don't suppose you have a Scorpion 2? Just ordered mine, but I've got to wait until Thursday to do testing.:shakehead

Also, great pics.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan to go back to the towers, but the weather has not been cooperating lately... I hope it clears up for the next few weekends before it gets too cold. I will definitely put side-by-side my latest lights in my local field, though (sorry, no Scorpion):

TK70, Predator, Led Lenser M7R, LD40, TK35, Nitecore IFE2, Zebralight H51FW and H30C (and possibly the H51W if the wallet allows) and throw in TK40, TK30, M1X and the TK45 for reference. I could be forgetting one or two, but I feel like I listed all my year's purchases. I'll try to find a new venue for headlight comparisons, since the street I did it on last time already has people moved in.

Alphanumeric

Newly Enlightened
Ah, damn shame. Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing these lights matched up against one another in such different areas.