Tofty's Various Tritium Beads

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys,
Not really much to show yet as the order is far from being completed and sent to me but a bead does now exist in the real world.

1370552.jpg

THe surface looks quite pitted but thats because i ordered it unpolished.

Tofty,

Get yourself prepared to seal some envelopes and train your thumb for putting stamps. I'm sure you will sell tons of these here.

Fantastic work, I like it a lot, even with that finish.:twothumbs

fl0t

Enlightened
I like the bird cage and the pedal.
I would like to see all of those trits on the bird cage together at night, it must be bright...

Tofty

Enlightened
Thanks everyone, yesterday was a good day:

Bead3010cP.jpg

Bead3023cP.jpg

Gold plated brass and sterling silver.

Bead3016cP.jpg

Gold plated brass from i.materialise.

Bead3006cP.jpg

Raw sterling silver from shapeways.

Bead3007cP.jpg

Stainless steel/bronze from shapeways.

Bead3008cP.jpg

Purple plastic from shapeways.

Bead3009cP.jpg

Red plastic from shapeways.

Bead4002cP.jpg

All these parts ended up different sizes so different sized models will be needed for each material choice so i've got some modifying to do.
The gold plated brass pedal bead from i.materialise is the only model that will not need changing at all and will go up on their site shortly, the sterling silver pedal bead from shapeways is good enough but could do with being a tiny bit larger.
The other models are too small for the tritium vials to fit into and the centre hole is so tight it makes fitting the paracord difficult.

Last edited:

moeman

Enlightened
I like the look of the SS/bronze one and if you didn't plate the brass one I would be happy with that one too. I don't mind the texture at all. Like it.
Looking awesome Tofty!!!

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Let's get rolling! I'm certainly in. Those slots look massive for trits...

Ward

Newly Enlightened
How about a design to be printed in the transparent resin? Maybe the birdcage would look cool in see-through resin..

Then again, it would probably look a whole lot better in titanium!

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a design to be printed in the transparent resin? Maybe the birdcage would look cool in see-through resin..

Interesting idea, very interesting. Something like polycarbonate would look great and the visibility of the trit would be improved.

Tofty

Enlightened
Thanks guys,
The tritium vials used are 2.5x10mm and the fit in the various beads was either good or the bead holes were too small.

I got a shipment of various vials a few days ago, here's the first pair set:

Bead3Ver2Brass019cP.jpg

Bead3Ver2Brass007bP.jpg

Bead3Ver2Brass016bP.jpg

Bead3Ver2Brass0013bP.jpg

Bead3Ver2Brass027bP.jpg

More to come.....

My 'tritium pedal bead' with the side cut-outs is now available on the i.materialise website for purchase in gold plated brass.
Both designs, either with or without side cut-outs, are available for purchase on shapeways in a full range of materials (some models are specific to a certain material due to over-sizing requirements).
In fact all the beads shown in the first post are up on shapeways, just search for 'tritium'.

The padal bead can be ordered in frosted or supposedly transparent fine detail plastics but these probably nowhere near as optically clear as polycarbonate.
I have ordered something in the transparent plastic so i'll be able to assess it once it arrives (in a month or so).

In a few months time i plan to get 100 or so pedal beads cast in proper stainless steel then offered as a finished item (with trits installed).
If this turns out to be successful then perhaps a titanium version might arise.
No idea on prices yet though.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to wait until you get a bunch made with trits put in. I don't have any norland nor a UV light capable of curing it.

-Alex