Too big for EDC?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
As bright as lights are today, even small ones, my 1x RCR EDC is about the size of a BiC lighter. The 1x AAA backup is about the size of a cigarette.

Edit: add photo
IMG_2747.jpeg

Left 110 lumen 1xAAA thrower
Right 500 lumen 1x RCR

Last edited:
IMG_2223.jpeg

My current ideal pocket carry sizes:

Novatac 120P modified to a domed Nichia 519A sm453

SureFire Aviator white/red

HDS NB45 Rotary with 18650 body

The HDS is the largest I'll daily carry for now. I did carry a SureFire EDC2-DFT Turbo, but that depends on the type of pants and pockets I'll have for the day.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Something of a veteran 'belt EDC-er' here. From Maglite to Solarforce to Elzetta to Zebralight and back to Elzetta; I've belt-carried near 24/7 since my teens.
I currently use a forward-tilted right-carry holster for my Elzetta Bravo, made by L. James Thiemen. It's a beauty*, and sits in just the spot to avoid catching on stuff. The torch's switch is protected by the closed bottom of the holster, and I've gotten pretty dang quick at drawing and reholstering it.

I think it hugely depends on your needs and lifestyle, but this really works for me, especially given how much I use it, and I wouldn't EDC a much bigger light.
My 2 cents. 😎

*Australia / New Zealand slang for "really good"
IMG_9646.jpeg

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless it's on a duty belt I don't carry a light on my belt, pocket carry 1AA and 1AAA are my preferred format, tailcap is nice but I can live with a twisty, as for beam both floody and beam are useful and in my use interchangeable somewhat 👍

I have in the past also carried a L1 Lumamax but wouldn't consider anything larger...

3_gun

Enlightened
To big to EDC depends on the day & what I'm doing. The only light I truly EDC is a Fenix E01v2 which is on my key ring. Past that my "light of the day" can & does range from a 16340, 14500, 18650, 21700 or 26650 powered light. Seems lately my most often carried light is an Emisar D4k duel channel set up with flood & throwy LEDs.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something of a veteran 'belt EDC-er' here. From Maglite to Solarforce to Elzetta to Zebralight and back to Elzetta; I've belt-carried near 24/7 since my teens.
I currently use a forward-tilted right-carry holster for my Elzetta Bravo, made by L. James Thiemen. It's a beauty*, and sits in just the spot to avoid catching on stuff. The torch's switch is protected by the closed bottom of the holster, and I've gotten pretty dang quick at drawing and reholstering it.

I think it hugely depends on your needs and lifestyle, but this really works for me, especially given how much I use it, and I wouldn't EDC a much bigger light.
My 2 cents. 😎

*Australia / New Zealand slang for "really good"
View attachment 55544
That's what I'm talkin' about! Yeah! I want one like that for my SF FURY DFT!

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
This is my max carry size:
17053186077075678722527229680761.jpg

This M21B is just a bit bigger than your usual "P60 module" form factor. I carry it in my jeans pocket by my wallet, as both are the same thickness.
17053187551152364138044580729575.jpg

Very comfortable fit.

Mind, this is, as mentioned, max size, not "usual". Most of the time I'm carrying a tube light (S2+ or S21A), those are even more comfortable and less noticeable.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
1 - How big is too big for an EDC that's belt mounted?
2 - Which controls do you prefer? Tail switch? Thumb switch? Rotary dial?
3 - What's your preferred beam type?
Most of us who EDC a light, pocket carry it. Generally the smaller the better, so most carry a AAA light. Those who carry larger than that, often use it at work.

Personally I pocket carry a Manker LAD.
I don't have a preference for the type of switch.
I prefer a beam that has a good amount of spill, and a large hot-spot.
1705324317522.png

I believe that if one carries a belt mounted light it is because he needs it for work. Therefore, he should carry one that fits his need. That is what will determine the size.

For example, a belt mounted, holstered TK35 is not too large for SAR work, but too large to EDC for occasionally searching for crayons that rolled under the couch.