Tool recommendations?

wquiles

Flashaholic
You DO realize that you have inspired as many purchases as Barry has, right? Lathes, VFDs, tools out the ying-yang... It's hard to even try to keep up with your latest toys.

It's like having our own tool pron channel. :)

Well, I still feel like I have to blame "somebody" for the purchases/expenses :devil:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I do NOT want to get that old.
+1

My wife knows to get the .45ACP & shoot me between the eyes if I ever stop looking at women :nana:

Lathes, VFDs, tools out the ying-yang... It's hard to even try to keep up with your latest toys.
As someone said "moderation in nothing."

Regarding wives or girlfriends & tools ... It is always better to beg for forgiveness than to be denied permission (assuming wife/girlfriend notices the new tool). Clutter is your friend, as new tools seem to blend in with the old.

unterhausen

Enlightened
Regarding wives or girlfriends & tools ... It is always better to beg for forgiveness than to be denied permission (assuming wife/girlfriend notices the new tool). Clutter is your friend, as new tools seem to blend in with the old.
I learned a long time ago that you better buy quality up front, because you are still living with the quality of the tool long after your wife forgets how much it cost. Conversely, if I buy something from HF and then decide it's not good enough and buy a top quality version of the same thing, it's "you're a hoarder." As far as the clutter goes, I have used the "I've always had that" excuse multiple times. Sometimes it's even true.

pmath

Newly Enlightened
Brilliant thread this.

I got excited about the Mesa tools only to he does not ship to the anitpodes. Can people suggest an alternative?

Peter (Melbourne, Australia)

metalbutcher

Newly Enlightened
Brilliant thread this.

I got excited about the Mesa tools only to he does not ship to the anitpodes. Can people suggest an alternative?

Peter (Melbourne, Australia)

Peter,

A small Priority Mail flat rate box only costs $14 for international shipping which isn't too bad at all. I would be willing to ship them to you if we can arrange to get them to me somehow. That would mean a double shipping charge for you so I'm just throwing this out as a possibility.

Ed

Name goes here

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,

Curtis here, from www.latheinserts.com

I have several customers in Oz and can ship to you no problem. As mentioned, about $14.00 for Priority Post. The last few orders I shipped got to Melbourne in 3-4 days.

BTW, this is my first post here and I wanted to thank all of you guys who ordered kits last week. I didn't even know this forum existed and now I'm all excited because I'm somewhat of a flashlight geek myself and looking to order a Micro Mark lathe next month! Oh and thanks to Barry too. I saw all those pics of my tools you posted.

Looking forward to lending whatever insight I can about tools and coatings.
Cheers!

Curtis

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Curt,

Nice to see that you've found The Sandbox :nana:

Best thing you can do it cut up your credit cards and never look at any of the killer lights made by CPF members. A few years ago a SureFire seemed expensive (why would anyone pay $100 for a flashlight?). Now there's enough titanium in my pockets that the metal detectors go into meltdown :devil:

Is is possible that you'll offer here some of the special "kits" that you sometimes list on the PM forum? There is a sticky at the top of this forum called:
Materials/Mechanical/Machining Specific Deals

You may want to send a PM to the admin of this forum and see if a listing like that is allowed. The admin normally does not allow advertising there, and may direct you to the paid advertising policies area.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Hi Peter,

Curtis here, from www.latheinserts.com

I have several customers in Oz and can ship to you no problem. As mentioned, about $14.00 for Priority Post. The last few orders I shipped got to Melbourne in 3-4 days.

BTW, this is my first post here and I wanted to thank all of you guys who ordered kits last week. I didn't even know this forum existed and now I'm all excited because I'm somewhat of a flashlight geek myself and looking to order a Micro Mark lathe next month! Oh and thanks to Barry too. I saw all those pics of my tools you posted.

Looking forward to lending whatever insight I can about tools and coatings.
Cheers!

Curtis

Welcome Curtis. Thanks to Barry I also have ordered and use your inserts, specially in my "big" solid carbide boring bar:
DSCF1293.JPG

and turning tools (on the right):
DSCF1248.JPG

And as a friendly warning, hold on to your wallet tightly - the flashlights hobby gets more expensive the more time you spend in this forum ;)

Will

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hey Curtis. Welcome to the Forum.

There are several threads about the smaller bench lathes such as the micromark. Watch out though, Barry and Will will have you lusting for a 14 inch swing, 2,000 pound lathe in no time. :) I still manage to get by just fine with my 5 year old 7x12 Cummins (Sieg) lathe.

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I just got my tools from Curtis at latheinserts.com. I got the 3/8 inch shank right hand tool for CCMT inserts. It came as a kit with 6 inserts, two of which have the extra steep and deep chip-breaker for aluminum as shown above. The others 4 inserts are for steel, though you could cut aluminum with them in a pinch.

The tool holder looks just like the 1 inch shank models, just smaller. It fits my Phase II QCTP holders without any mods of any kind.

A quick test against some delrin that I had chucked up worked beautifully. The advantage of this particular geometry is that you can turn and you can face without changing the tool position. I did that and got a beautifully smooth finish on both end and side of the delrin rod. But Will has already covered that, right?

A surprise gift was included. Curtis threw in a Nebo 1AA flashlight because the shipment was delayed a day or two.

The light is a black anodized aluminum, possibly the 6000 series alloy. The finish is nice. The pocket clip is long enough to secure it in my pocket. A short length of the body is covered with a black textured rubber.

The tailcap has a tactical reverse clicky crowned by a GITD cover. The threads are quite usable but very poorly cut. The threads are closer to 80 degrees instead of 60 degrees and the grooves are much too wide. Fortunately, the body mates well enough with the tailcap so that's not an issue.

The beam is smooth with good spill and a moderate hot spot. The tint is decidedly blue. The 15mm smooth reflector is set in a 1/4 inch crenelated bezel with 3 spikes. The light draws .183 amps on a fresh alkaline battery (1.59 volts) for just over a quarter watt input.

Now the question is... what will i do to modify it? :)

Daniel

Name goes here

Newly Enlightened
OH NOOOO!

I sent a cheap flashlight to a flashlight expert! Major faux pas. At the time I had no idea all those kits last week were going to flashlight builders. Now I feel like a terd. :duh2: Glad you liked the tools though.

I'm looking at the 7 x 14 lathe from Big Dog Lathe works. If I get one would you guys like me to do an extensive video review of it?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Curt,

The consensus here is that the 8" models offer more value than the 7" ... having had neither one, I can't comment one way or the other. Are you really limited on available space? If so, the 7" or 8" is a good way to start. If you have more space to work with, a 9-10" machine offers a lot more capacity. There are more used 9-10" lathes than we can count, some on eBay, many on the PM forum, some in the local shopper or trader newspapers. If you post a WTB ad on PM (Machinery for Sale or Wanted) you may find something that costs about the same as a 7-8", like a South Bend 9-10".

I ran a lot of parts with my South Bend 10K and sold it for five times what it cost. Every possible piece of tooling is available from eBay, the PM forum, or Joe at Plaza Machinery. They are a joy to run, quiet, no vibration, and nice to look at (unlike the Chinese 14" I now have, which is homely at best and buttugly at worst).

Remember, the cost of the lathe will soon be forgotten as you buy tooling ...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
OH NOOOO!

I sent a cheap flashlight to a flashlight expert! Major faux pas. At the time I had no idea all those kits last week were going to flashlight builders. Now I feel like a terd. :duh2: Glad you liked the tools though.

:) There is never anything wrong with sending flashlights to flashaholics. The above review was actually done tongue in cheek. Will and Barry had already discussed the merits of the tools ind the inserts, and I did HAVE to compare it to others in my collection anyway.

While I did not make anything last night I did have a chance to play with the tooling. I turned some gummy extruded aluminum as one might find in a cheap light. The finish came out real nice. It looks like I may retire several of my other TCMT based tools, leaving some tool holders open. :)

Dan

saltytri

Enlightened
Yesterday I got a 5/8" shank cutoff holder and bits from Curtis. I haven't had a chance to put them through their paces but the stuff looks very nice. I'll report in again once I see how they do.

Thanks, Curtis.

And the thing about the cheap light gave me a chuckle. What you have to remember about flashaholics is that we'll have fun by taking any old light and doing something to it just to see if we can make it better. Go figure.

Last edited:

Name goes here

Newly Enlightened
Guys thanks for all the kind words.

Barry, I placed an order today for a Big Dog Lathe Works 7 x 14. I am *very* limited on space and this little DC machine is just what I wanted. I'm a tinkerer and like making little things. Plus, I've been around big CNC stuff for close to 20 years and wanted something small and simple. Would it help others here if I did a short video review of the machine?