Top 10 reasons to own an MBI flashlight

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I am not sure but is 1 of the reason not to buy it cause its expensive?

That's crazy talk, they are not expensive, they are extremely good value for money. I can assure you Guy does not make anywhere near much money on his lights as most of the custom makers :)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

holylight

Enlightened
Is custom light no wonder I cannot find much infor. Sure looks powerful from looking at youtube. Thanks

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's crazy talk, they are not expensive, they are extremely good value for money. I can assure you Guy does not make anywhere near much money on his lights as most of the custom makers :)

Yep. The targeted price for the torpedo has gone up from the origial target, but Guy is sure aiming as low as possible. I'd say the price is one of the reasons to buy this light when you compare to just about all other custom builders.

Is custom light no wonder I cannot find much infor. Sure looks powerful from looking at youtube. Thanks

The HF does get Holy words out of people's mouth. I sure laugh like a maniac when I turn mine on in high mode. I wouldn't be surprised Guy asks your permission to use your nickname for one of his future products.

More reasons to get an MBI product:

Reason #3: They get Holy and unholy surprise words out of people's mouth
Reason #4: To make yourself laugh like a super villain holding the ultimate weapon of mass destruction when you turn your flashlight on

carrot

Flashaholic
:thinking: I've never heard of MBI. Can somebody explain where they came from and what I've been missing the past few years?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking: I've never heard of MBI. Can somebody explain where they came from and what I've been missing the past few years?

Here's the short version:

It started 2 years ago this month when Guy decided to make the most incredible keychain sized pocket rocket with a control ring:

Torpedo Part 1
Part 2

The thread was born with the goal of collecting flashaholic feedback on how to the light should be (modes, materials, emitter, etc.) At first it was supposed to only take a few months before release, but finding a lab that was A-willing and 2-competent enough to make a circuit board controlled with a margnetic ring and could manage different chemistries (Li-Ion, NiMh AND alkaline) and also respect each chemistries safety limits proved to be quite a challenge.

Then, out of frustration from the long time it was taking to find a competent lab, Guy made a direct-drive version called the HF (Holy F...lashlight) This little gem hits the spot quite litteraly. Guy started the HF thread to collect feedback and made a great job at respecting everybody's wishes and general input(cool, neutral, Nichia 219, tritium vials in copper, brass, titanium, stainless steel, round version, 3-mode switch, ultra-tritted tail, zoom head, restrictor ring). The journey also took a little while, during which many events happened -copyright issues on the torpedo name that got solved in a few e-mail to Sunwayman, the name MBI for Matchbox Instruments coined, Men in black landing in my yard accompanied by a Unicorn to keep me from digging a hole though Earth as I got frustrated with the postal system's , some patrons at a bar having their memories erased as I was discussing my visit to a local air force base, local space-time continuum being endangered etc, etc.

Even before the HF came to be, the MBI Core Ti also saw the light of day (which reminds me I have yet to put some cash aside to order one :ohgeez:) and that in itself was another journey.

And here we are, the prototype version of the torpedo is finally almost ready for a limited release run so the less patient of us can try it out and confirm with Guy that the quality control is sufficient for everyday use.

GIR

Newly Enlightened
01. T
02. O
03. R
04. P
05. E
06. D
07. O
09. X
10. !

- GIR -

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have been gone too long my friend. ;)

:welcome:

+1 now is a great time for such week long challenges as "only use your custom built lights" or "Use only your smallest lights" or "only use a high powered pocketable light with bonus for 500+ lumens"

Here's another great reason to buy and MBI:
Beats the crap out of much, much, much bigger lights

HKJ

Flashaholic
Where's the best place to order an MBI HF in copper?

That is usual from MBI (matchboxinstruments), but I believe that he has sold all of them, i.e. you have to look for a used flashlight (If anybody want to part with it).

My 10 reasons to own a MBI flashlights are here:
DSC_3560.jpg

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet HKJ! I think you win the prize! lol Those are seriously a top 10 reason extraordinaire! That Ti zoomhead with HF trits is awesome! (prejudiced, as a few here know why)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been participating much in your thread TGWNN, but I've been following along, and I just wanted to say that you've developed quite a loyal and appreciative fanbase around here through your awesome communication and pleasant demeanor. I look forward to the commercial release of your Torpedo!

romteb

Enlightened
TGWNN's MBI products are awesome, unique and innovative, but there is something else, TGWNN's integrity level and candor in this MBI endeavor is unheard of, it's literally heart warming.

Esko

Enlightened
I already gave a list of 10 real life reasons. Here is another one. I hope that these will be somewhat clear at least to the citizens of the MBI world.
1. Unicorns
2. Supernovas
3. Tunneling Effect
4. Lighning Bolts
5. Holes in the Walls
6. X
7. Light Sabers (Use the force, Luke)
8. Matchbox Industries
9. Loch Ness Monster
10. The Song With No Name

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esko, it's Instruments! I got it wrong forever, seems like this level of perfection should be an Industry, doesn't it?