• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TorchLAB V5 Triple LED drop ins - Programming, 3500L, Secondary LED

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I ordered v5 drop in, I actually was able to order one. I am pretty excited. I had been hoping for a moddoolar head, but those were out of stock. I cannot wait to try out a v5.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
So these can be run in plastic hosts and can run off cr123a's. Do we have the first Oveready triple drop in that will work in a G2?
With a few caveats these will run just fine a G2:

• the bezel/body gap is fairly wide
  • the board will handle the heat requirements just fine
  • 2x123 is supported when 2x123 mode is selected
  • 17670 can't handle the amps needed for high output
  • 5 amp capable 16340 are not quite ready

seasam

Newly Enlightened
what kind of output can we expect on the 219 version with 1 cell?

Last edited:

jdboy

Enlightened
Too close to Christmas for a second OR purchase. Hopefully I'll be able to get in on the next run.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
My drop in hasn't even shipped yet, but I am thinking through all the programing possibilities.

Would it be possible to make a program safe for use on an LX2 body and take advantage of the 2 stage switch. I don't want to burn up the resistors.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
When's the ETA for 219? If not too far off, can I order a custom host and request hold for 219 triple?
Purchase restrictions are off but first come first serve still applies. That said, some 219 will be assigned to C2s and whole lights tend to sell more slowly, improving your chances. We have two sets of 219 in the pipeline, boards that already exist and will be finish drops soon (1-2 weeks) and a set thats not yet installed onto boards that will be products in 1-2 months. Both will be posted when ready.

what kind of output can we expect on the 219 version with 1 cell?
219 2 cell is 1600L @ 21w. 1 cell is limited to 17w, generating approximately 1300L.

Would it be possible to make a program safe for use on an LX2 body and take advantage of the 2 stage switch. I don't want to burn up the resistors.
This has not been tested and the engineers are swamped just now. Most likely the engine will read the resistor as a damaged battery and react accordingly. So not advised.

scout24

Flashaholic
It surprises me that the E-series copper thread is 34 pages, the Wasp thread is 39 pages, and the discussion page for the light engine is seven pages. I thought making this available in a P60 dropin format like previous Oveready flamethrowers would generate a lot more buzz! Transplantable from host to host, from bored "3P" sized lights right on up to 2x18650 C-head C-tail offerings depending on your needs. Nevermind the hosts available from Oveready! I truly dig the versatility, not being limited to one size light. Really looking forward to getting mine.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wasp and e thread has had a lot of time to build up and gather people's comments. The wasp head containing posts from the original release of the wasp with its bugs and hiccups and comments to how they would be addressed. The e thread was a continuation of the original release of the copper e series back in 2012. So with the v5 triple p60 having 7 pages since its release a few days ago seem about right.

It surprises me that the E-series copper thread is 34 pages, the Wasp thread is 39 pages, and the discussion page for the light engine is seven pages. I thought making this available in a P60 dropin format like previous Oveready flamethrowers would generate a lot more buzz! Transplantable from host to host, from bored "3P" sized lights right on up to 2x18650 C-head C-tail offerings depending on your needs. Nevermind the hosts available from Oveready! I truly dig the versatility, not being limited to one size light. Really looking forward to getting mine.

boafish

Newly Enlightened
So can these heads run 2x 18350's and 2x 18650's? I've been given conflicting answers

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes you can run them on 2x18350 or 2x18650

The V5 dropins can be run on one or two LiIon batteries of any size. Use two batteries for highest output (limited only by the battery's continuous current drain rating). The V5 dropins use temperature regulation so they are safer to use at high output than typical step down drivers. If using 16340, 17670 or CR123A then set the maximum light level to a safe value (see the programming instructions for OR suggested limits).

scout24

Flashaholic
Shipping notice received this morning. C'mon, USPS! Host ready and waiting. The programming looks very straightforward, well laid out. The only thing I would like to see is the ability to set up two 2-cell programs. 2xRCR for daily max output use, and 2x123's in a pinch. As is, at least the programs are easy to change and save. 1x18650 looks like a whole lot of output. :)

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'll be happy using a single 18650, reserving the doubles for rare occasions when I need to show off! :devil:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I would like to see is the ability to set up two 2-cell programs. 2xRCR for daily max output use, and 2x123's in a pinch.

Just wondering if battery stretch is enabled, that the engine would step down when encountering the lower output of a pair of primary lithium cells. I need to find some of my old CR123's...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The only thing I would like to see is the ability to set up two 2-cell programs. 2xRCR for daily max output use, and 2x123's in a pinch. As is, at least the programs are easy to change and save. 1x18650 looks like a whole lot of output. :)
We can program whatever we want but, the board can only behave based on what it can sense. In this case, RCR123s and 123's have a voltage overlap such that if it reads 6.0v for example, that could be either. This is the same reason 2x123 mode must be turned on manually.

Just wondering if battery stretch is enabled, that the engine would step down when encountering the lower output of a pair of primary lithium cells. I need to find some of my old CR123's...
One of the things 2xCR123 mode (turned on manually) does is allow for discharge past 2.8v per cell, taking advantage of the CRs greater discharge distance.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
First off, Merry Christmas! Got my dropin in yesterday's mail which suprised me! USPS is super busy but came through... Popped it into a bored HA Oveready 6P with 2x18350's and ran straight outside. The tint is great, the red mode is nice to have and will come in handy. LMH are well spaced out of the box. I got two pretty quick stepdowns every time I went into high, I'm guessing the resistance of my McClicky. Didn't step down with a ZeroRes tail installed. High is very impressive, giving both great spill and very respectable throw. It does get warm, and burn through 18350's pretty quick. I'm flipping the coin between my 2x18650 body and good runtime on high, and dropping to a single 18650 with 2x123 programmed as backup. Single 18650 output is nothing to sneeze at! :) Thanks, Oveready, it's a monster. :thumbsup:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Great review! ^

Update
Most modules purchased from the first batch, have shipped
Still working on tracking but many will arrive tomorrow

I'm posting the second batch on Sunday Dec 27th*
This will be half the size of the first, and mostly clear optics
They are split between XPL/red and 219/red
They will be posted alone and attached to custom lights

The next batch is due in January, twice the size of the first
We probably won't see more 219 until February or March