Transillumination

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am an ER nurse and use my EDC to trans illuminate limbs of patients who are hard to insert IVs on, specially children. Beats trying to guess by feeling around for the vein and spares patients from repeated failed attempts.
I had a 6 year old child's mother tell me it took another nearby hospital 11 tries to insert an IV on her daughter, with my edc light I nailed it with one try.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pictures, Seb! :thumbsup: I'm sure Vinh didn't imagine seing his PD12Vn reverse cone beam being used this way. :D

PTN

Newly Enlightened
wow. this really produces some cool pics. anyone used this idea with other objects?

sjc

Newly Enlightened
I am an ER nurse and use my EDC to trans illuminate limbs of patients who are hard to insert IVs on, specially children. Beats trying to guess by feeling around for the vein and spares patients from repeated failed attempts.
I had a 6 year old child's mother tell me it took another nearby hospital 11 tries to insert an IV on her daughter, with my edc light I nailed it with one try.

RobertMM, I really appreciate your sharing of your experience with this. I was showing some nurses the technique today using a Fenix PD30 on turbo. It doesn't get very hot, but is not all that bright, 257 lumens on turbo. They showed me a vein finder they have: looks like 2 prongs, each of which has 3 or 4 (dim) LED's and you are supposed to find the vein between the prongs. The PD30 is much better than the so-called vein finder. They were impressed and immediately used it to put an IV in a very large patient with no trouble on the first stick. I found that having two powerful flashlights side by side on a large forearm mimics the concept of the vein finder but works far better.

Anyway, the nurses asked me some questions that I couldn't answer so I thought I would ask you to share more of your experience, if you don't mind. Questions (theirs and mine):
1. Do you mark the vein with a pen after you find it, or do you put the needle in with the other hand in real time?
2. Does a wider reflector work better than narrow reflector? Depth of reflector make any difference?
3. What light are you using and at what setting?
4. Do you hold the light directly perpendicular to the skin or do you find that angling it is helpful?

This is really great and a benefit to our patients. Thanks again for sharing.

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Another use today: Was trying to read digits on a photocopy. The original had been highlighted prior to copy, so the whole line was obscured by toner. Used Fenix PD30 on low setting and was able to read digits through the chaos.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
RobertMM, I really appreciate your sharing of your experience with this. I was showing some nurses the technique today using a Fenix PD30 on turbo. It doesn't get very hot, but is not all that bright, 257 lumens on turbo. They showed me a vein finder they have: looks like 2 prongs, each of which has 3 or 4 (dim) LED's and you are supposed to find the vein between the prongs. The PD30 is much better than the so-called vein finder. They were impressed and immediately used it to put an IV in a very large patient with no trouble on the first stick. I found that having two powerful flashlights side by side on a large forearm mimics the concept of the vein finder but works far better.
_
Anyway, the nurses asked me some questions that I couldn't answer so I thought I would ask you to share more of your experience, if you don't mind. Questions (theirs and mine):
1. Do you mark the vein with a pen after you find it, or do you put the needle in with the other hand in real time?
2. Does a wider reflector work better than narrow reflector? Depth of reflector make any difference?
3. What light are you using and at what setting?
4. Do you hold the light directly perpendicular to the skin or do you find that angling it is helpful?

This is really great and a benefit to our patients. Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Doc. Please bear with me, I usually CPF with my smartphone so I have a hard time elaborating. Our hospital has two "wee sight" brand vein finders that you put under children's hands and turn off the lights to use, it has three 5mm(I know :) )red LEDS bunched together. Works fine on new batteries, but on older children and adults it fails miserably.
1. I don't mark the vein, I hit them real time, light under the hand(Surefire E1e with Tana LED module or Fenix PD20 work great due to short length). Covering overhead lighting with my hand usually is enough to let me see the light from below, but sometimes I do it with lights off (to the surprise of some parents,they think it's some trick). For fidgety children I have relatives hold down other limbs.
2. Small reflectors are enough, the big ones sometimes let light escape at the side of the hands of small children and blind me at inopportune times.
3. I have used a Nitecore EA4(too large)on high only, too hot on turb, a Surefire LX2 on low and high, the aforementioned SF E1e (120 lumen high, enough for most cases),a Fenix PD20 on high with short turbo bursts, a Quark QTA with XPG2 on turbo(doesn't get very hot). I have also used a Surefire 6P with Solarforce XML, medium mode only works well, 500lumen turbo too hot. Surefire G2led(single mode) gets hot too so I stopped using it.
The small lights work better, as expected. The LX2 heats up so no use for prolonged vein searching, and no turbo use for the others as well except for short bursts on really heavy/edematous patients.
4. I hold it under the hand, or if too fat,or if using the antecubital area, perpendicular. I use the light to "scan" and when I see a shadow I focus on that,see if the vein is wide enough or has a long enough straight area to accomodate the catheter.
One thing about transilluminating veins is that I see when veins pop because they are too fragile, no mistaking the blood you see spreading around the puncture site, under the skin.
I'd like to leave a final note, though: I don't let anyone use my lights to do this except for the QTA or E1e, for fear they might cause burns when used too long on turbo by those who don't listen to my directions. Those two only get warm.
Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Great post, RobertMM. Thanks again. Congratulations - you're almost a Flashaholic!

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh you noticed before me. I was crazy about lights and a lurker here since 2006. Took me a long time, huh. :)
I forgot to mention my D25a Ti, I used it for finding veins as well before I gave it away. Worked very well, and the Al version is not too expensive. Solarforce Z2 even more inexpensive but I've seen a few die unexpectedly.

zerodish

Newly Enlightened
You really should be working with green light. It is possible to see ingrown hairs and thorns under the skin.