Triple LED Series/Parallel How To

Alje

Newly Enlightened
Hello and Seasons Greetings to all.
Looking for info and thread links on wiring Triple LED (probably XP-G2)
How To's, Differences, Pros and Cons of wiring in Series or Parallel.
Thanks

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and Seasons Greetings to all.
Looking for info and thread links on wiring Triple LED (probably XP-G2)
How To's, Differences, Pros and Cons of wiring in Series or Parallel.
Thanks

Hey, check out the Noctigon copper triple MCPCB. It allows users to choose either series or parallel, just by soldering 2 points.
And both sets requires just 2 wires, instead of the 6 wires if u go series.

I have so far used parallel setup only so i can't comment much.
But these are the few considerations i had.
Driver choice, i can use the AMC7135 drivers & also 1 lit-ion only.
Emitters, i have to buy them in a reel because the Vin of the emitters will be closer to each other. If their Vin readings are quite big, you will have. problems.
No worries if one emitter fail, the other 2 will still work but more current will go thru them.
Parallel, shared current from source.
If driver is 3A, each emitter will get 1A.
So with AMC7135 drivers, i can stack the chips to increase my current output.

- JonK

Alje

Newly Enlightened
Got some Noctigon triple XPG2 on the way, and I think you have answered my question, unless anyone else has anymore to offer. Will order some 4.5A AMC 7135 drivers and go parallel. Or would I be better off driving the XPG2s at less than max, in regard to heat issues, say 1-1.3A each. I think there will be a lot of heat produced by 3 x XPG2 each running at 1.5A in such close proximity on a Noctigon board. Although it will probably be on Donns copper blanks in an Oveready or Fivemega host, what you think?

Noctigon with gold jumpers

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-3xp-advanced-triple-led-copper-mcpcb-2-pcs-p-763.html

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got some Noctigon triple XPG2 on the way, and I think you have answered my question, unless anyone else has anymore to offer. Will order some 4.5A AMC 7135 drivers and go parallel. Or would I be better off driving the XPG2s at less than max, in regard to heat issues, say 1-1.3A each. I think there will be a lot of heat produced by 3 x XPG2 each running at 1.5A in such close proximity on a Noctigon board. Although it will probably be on Donns copper blanks in an Oveready or Fivemega host, what you think?

Noctigon with gold jumpers

http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-3xp-advanced-triple-led-copper-mcpcb-2-pcs-p-763.html

I run my triples in Mattaus's copper dropins.
So heat is not really an issue, especially if u wrap the dropin tightly into the host to ensure good heat transfer.

1.5A per emitter is quite alright for the XPG2, imo. Plus if you don't use it on high all the time, it shouldn't generate too much heat.
Mine is usually on the moonlight or medium, unless i wanna impress my friends then I'll go high.. :D

- JonK

Alje

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple of Matts single copper/silver blanks I'm making up with XML2s, came to late to the party to get any of the triple blanks. Would have bought one or two to make up with triple XPG2s, I really like the fact the copper blanks are silver coated.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of Matts single copper/silver blanks I'm making up with XML2s, came to late to the party to get any of the triple blanks. Would have bought one or two to make up with triple XPG2s, I really like the fact the copper blanks are silver coated.

Oppss, i have 3 of the triples & 2 newly purchased singles.
3 x 219
3 x XP-E2 cool white
3 x XP-E2 neutral

For my other 2 singles, i am planning a XM-L2 DD with the 20mm reflector. Not sure how it will turn out.
As for the 2nd single, i still donno what to do with it yet. Haha..

- JonK

Alje

Newly Enlightened
The reflectors Matt linked to in the sales thread are a perfect fit, I have the OP version and some Smooth on the way. But if I'm honest I quite like the beam and tint without any reflector. I used XML2 U2 1A on 16mm Noctigon boards from IOS.
If I had got a couple of the triple blanks one would have been XPG2s and the other I would try a single MTG2 on a 20mm board. Waiting for the next run of Donn's copper blanks, they seem to be a touch fatter but shorter than Matts were.