Triple XM-L DIY Canister Light

langham

Enlightened
If you use an o-ring that seals against the end of the cap instead of against the inside of the cap you can probably get away with just the one. The previous comments about size of o-ring gap and material hardness still apply. Have you seen the canisters that are sealed with the exception of the place where the lens contacts the canister and the lens is screwed into place? That would be ideal and you might want to ensure that the seal is made stronger by the pressure of the water pressing in on the seal.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely 70 durometer nitrile. They are the cheapest and most readily available, and will seal as well as anything except softer rings, which are expensive and hard to find. Thick cross-sections will allow for looser tolerances in machining. Nitrile works well with silicone grease, but not with petroleum grease!

I agree double seals are great, and I use them whenever practical. But single seals can work well too, if well-maintained. The only lights I've ever flooded were single seals that weren't well maintained (my bad, and won't happen again). In many cases, if the first seal fails, the second one will fail for the same reason.

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
Not sure I get what you mean by those canister langham. Any illustrations to help out? Yeaps. Went out and got myself a couple of Nitrile 70 and 2 Silicone ones today. hopefully they will do the job. =)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he's talking about something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Darrell-All...171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c356d947b

That's an axial seal, because the o-ring is compressed in the axial direction i.e. front to back. A radial seal is compressed between inner and outer diameters.

I don't agree that an axial seal is any more reliable if properly designed, installed, and maintained. However, it is easier to make a good design, and it's easier to install properly (no worries about pinching or twisting the seal during installation), and it's often easier to design with large cross-sections, which are more forgiving. So langham's point is well taken.

langham

Enlightened
My point was that with that design if he seals every other portion of the canister and that is the only boundary that you will open and close, it will be very dependable. The water pressure would help seal the canister, as well. That is something like what I was talking about, although I am not entirely sure that what I am talking about is easy to find in a flashlight, I got the idea from working on a submarine it is how they seal the main hatch. Basically there is a locking ring around the hatch and that holds it tight against the seal. Once you get deep enough the ring is no longer needed and you could remove it without a leak. This would require you to use a metal ring against the seal so there would not be any give between the two sealing surfaces. Do whatever you can, if this is your first attempt you will undoubtedly upgrade several times. Good luck, http://www.stormchaser.ca/Misc/Nuytco/Nuytco.html

lucca brassi

Enlightened

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
Had a bit of free time today so went down to my uncle's shed to do some work on the canister. Here are some photos! )

PVC+Dive+Canister+-+1
PVC+Dive+Canister+-+2
PVC+Dive+Canister+-+3
PVC+Dive+Canister+-+4

Anyone with any ideas how I can make the end of the PVC pipe completely square? Somehow after checking with a spirit level I've realised that it's a little slanted. =/

Last edited:

cummings66

Newly Enlightened
The only easy way is with a lathe, and even that and PVC is fun. You can just do your best with a square and a big grinder with a right angle attachment for it. Then it's a matter of just being careful, but it's still something you do slowly and carefully.

Codiak

Enlightened
Other options without a lather.

Just use Smooth-cast 300 and make yourself some ends without much fuss

Or you could order furniture pvc end caps

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
So... am now at a stage where I'm trying to figure out the electronics of it all. Am thinking that Piezo switches are going to be the way to go. A google search and a search in this forum revealed this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-Switch-Questions&highlight=latching+circuit and the Bowden circuits.

Seeing that these are about 2-3 years old now, was wondering if a more fool-proof method of implementing a piezo switch has been discovered/shared/available for sale? Once again, any help would be appreciated.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of hall-effect switches because there's no failure mode that floods the light. Taskled's Hallsw and Halltg boards make implementing them easy for single-mode lights, and can interface with many commercially available drivers. Also, I've built two multi-mode drivers using Hall sensors, and would be happy to share details.

Keep in mind that Neodymium magnets (AKA Neo, Neodymium-Iron-Boron, or NdFeB, though they should be called Iron-Neodymium-Boron magnets since they are primarily iron), even if nickel-plated (you might think they are chrome plated), will rust out and disintegrate after exposure to salt water. Mine lasted several seasons. And by the way, like anything iron, they expand when they rust, so they cannot be pushed out of a tight hole they are installed in. Ask me how I learned this. I bought some samarium-cobalt magnets on eBay to overcome this issue, as they have very high corrosion resistance. I imagine the old Darrell Allan lights used Alnico magnets, as the more exotic varieties weren't available at the time. In decreasing order of strength, Neo, SmCo, Alnico.

Piezo switches can also have minimal flood risk, as they can be permanently installed, even with epoxy. But they can be a little more difficult to use as many drivers don't work with a momentary input. I've built a light with a DIY piezo switch, and can share thoughts about that (mainly, get a commercial switch).

Needless to say, the feel of a switch isn't a big thing to me.

lucca brassi

Enlightened
Keep in mind that Neodymium magnets (AKA Neo, Neodymium-Iron-Boron, or NdFeB, though they should be called Iron-Neodymium-Boron magnets since they are primarily iron), even if nickel-plated (you might think they are chrome plated), will rust out and disintegrate after exposure to salt water. Mine lasted several seasons. And by the way, like anything iron, they expand when they rust, so they cannot be pushed out of a tight hole they are installed in. Ask me how I learned this. I bought some samarium-cobalt magnets on eBay to overcome this issue, as they have very high corrosion resistance. I imagine the old Darrell Allan lights used Alnico magnets, as the more exotic varieties weren't available at the time. In decreasing order of strength, Neo, SmCo, Alnico.

In our company we work a lot with very powerful ''plastomagnets'' . I'll never do that but I'll left a few samples for experiment over weekend in salt water on warm to see what woud happen.

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
Yea. Personally I'd prefer a piezo because of the ease of mounting as compared to a magnet which may be finicky. I'd be happy to get a commercial switch but does that normally come with a latching circuit? As that's the main concern that I have at the moment.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't think any of the commercial ones have latching circuits. But Pololu sells a couple that might work for you. And I designed a simple DIY one a while back if they aren't good enough.

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
Do you have a circuit diagram of the DIY one that you designed? just makes thing a little more interesting that way. ;)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a link to the drawing. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/esetpuvlikc3235/VVtlwd3FmB

Keep in mind, it hasn't been tested. If you are really interested, I'll see if I can find my piezo switch and breadboard it before I say it works as designed.

As I look at it again, it looks like it needs a diode in series with R4, with the cathode toward C2. Maybe I should try it out before saying it will work!

Last edited:

kymteo

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely interested but I'll be honest and say I have 0 understanding in term of integrated circuits and was just gonna fix it up like lego with the components listed. =/

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then I would definitely use the Pololu high voltage latch. The only reason to DIY is because you want to or to make something you can't buy, not to save money or time.