True Red-Arc AAA vs CMG Infinity as cockpit light

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: True Red-Arc AAA vs CMG Infinity as cockpit li

Here's a quote from
USAF Flight Surgeon's Guide: Chapter 8
(about 2/3 down the page under the heading "Night Vision")

QUOTE:
Enhancing and Maintaining Dark Adaptation: For maximum utilization of scotopic vision, 20 to 30 minutes are required, in total darkness, to attain satisfactory dark-adaptation. A more practical alternative is to have the aircrew members wear red goggles to facilitate dark adaptation. Red goggles can be worn in normal illumination and do not interfere significantly with the ability to read maps, charts, manuals, etc. They block all light except red light, and red light does not simulate the rods, as we have seen.

To understand why red filters can be used to achieve dark adaptation, it is necessary to examine the relative positions of the photopic and scotopic sensitivity curves in Figure 8-20. If a red filter with a cutoff at about 650 nanometers is worn, essentially no light is transmitted to the eye that can stimulate the rods. However, the cones are sensitive to the red light, and, thus, adequate visual acuity is permitted. By wearing red goggles for 30 minutes, the rods are almost fully dark adapted. Although the cones are not dark adapted, it only takes about 5 to 7 minutes, after a pilot steps into the dark, for the cones to adapt. Cone adaptation is relatively unimportant, since they are incapable of functioning in starlight illumination. There are, however, some drawbacks to wearing red goggles. For example, when reading maps, all markings in red ink on a white background may be invisible. In addition, red light creates or worsens near point blur in the pre-presbyopic or presbyopic pilot, as red light comes to a focus behind the retina and requires more accommodation to bring it into focus.

Dark adaptation of the rods develops rather slowly over a period of 20 to 30 minutes, but it can be lost in a second or two upon exposure to bright lights. The night flyer must, therefore, be taught to avoid bright lights. Also, the instrument panel must be kept illuminated at the lowest level consistent with safe operation, and the flyer must avoid looking at flares, after-burner flames, or gun flashes. If light must be used, it should be as dim as possible and used for the shortest possible period.

Dark adaptation is an independent process in each eye. Even though a bright light may shine in one eye, the other will retain its dark adaptation, if it is protected from the light. This is a useful bit of information, because a flyer can preserve dark adaptation in one eye by simply closing it.

Cockpit Illumination: The use of red light (wavelength greater than 650 nanometers) for illumination of the cockpit is desirable, because it, like red goggles, does not affect dark adaptation. Red cockpit lighting has been traditional since World War II. The intent was to maintain the greatest rod sensitivity possible, while still providing some illumination for central foveal vision. However, red cockpit lighting did create some near vision problems for the pre-presbyopic and presbyopic aviators. With the increased use of electronic and electro-optical devices for navigation, target detection, and night vision, the importance of the pilot's visual efficiency within the cockpit has increased and new problems have been created. Low intensity, white cockpit lighting is presently used to solve those problems. It affords a more natural visual environment within the aircraft, without degrading the color of objects. Blue-green cockpit lighting is used in aircraft in which night-vision devices are used because, unlike the human eye, these devices are not sensitive to light at that end of the visual spectrum. In addition, blue-green light is the easiest for accommodative focus and is seen by the rods more readily than any other color. It is not seen as blue-green, however, but only as light. However, the enemy can easily see a blue-green light, under scotopic conditions, in any position of his peripheral field, whereas a low intensity red light would be invisible unless viewed directly.
UNQUOTE

Please see the CPF thread in Night Vision -
Human Night Vision Preservation

gwbaltzell

Enlightened

Also from chap. 8 (from the main army site )
8-33. The retinal rods are least affected by the wavelength of a dim red light. Figure 8-11 compares rod and cone cell sensitivities. Because rods are stimulated by low ambient light levels, red lights do not significantly impair night vision if the proper techniques are used. To minimize the adverse effect of red lights on night vision, crew members should adjust the light intensity to the lowest usable level and view instruments for only a short time.

8-36. When exposed to bright sunlight for prolonged periods, aircrew members should wear military-issued, neutral-density sunglasses (ND-15) or equivalent filter lenses when anticipating a night flight. This precaution minimizes the negative effects of sunlight (solar glare) on rhodopsin production, which maximizes the rate of dark adaptation and improves night vision sensitivity and acuity.

Red goggles are covered in 8-37

This was one of my sources when I created Night Vision - The Red Myth

I think my main point is that red is only real useful a very-very low levels and at a very long hue. It mostly applies to fighter pilots and nebula watchers. For most people a fully adjustable white is the best choice though blue-green has some advantages if you are trying to light something just to be seen. In all cases it is the intensity even more than the color.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not too sure about the flight maps out there, but the military has "red-light readable" maps (noted at the bottom of the map) that are designed to be read with the standard red filtered flashlight.

-Jason

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: True Red .... check the PALight

I just got in a couple of PALights,

https://www.palights.com/Detail/pallights.cfm

two of them red for night camping/stargazing -- and am very happy with the one called "Selector" which starts off at the lowest brightness. If the button's held down it steps up six levels, quickly but slow enough to stop where you want. If the button's briefly poked it goes "off" (into an extremely dim find-me-in-the-dark mode). It's a simple wide beam, at least the red one is.

The second PALight is their new "e-lite" -- same size, same 9-volt battery, rubber housing, but with a little wire hanger loop, and a simple plastic magnifying-lens in the space over the LED. Seems like the same LED but a brighter driving circuit, maybe. Nice rich red, two levels (starts bright, next click is dim, then a 1/second very bright red (I'd use it for changing a tire by the roadside in the dark); after that a slow, very distinct SOS that would be ideal for setting out next to a hole before I fell into it or other find-me-sometime-this-month kind of emergency.

I'd also looked at and may yet buy the Rigel Systems (rigelsys.com) rotary-dial-dimmer red astronomy light.

These all are brighter than the CMG light (and I got off on this tangent while looking for a true-red Arc AAA, after getting several very nice narrow-beam but in my eyes definitely orange instead, either mislabeled or else using LEDs that were at the wrong end of the reddish-kinda-sorta range for me.

Glad to see the red-LED question still open. I'm still looking for perfection.

RadarGreg

Enlightened

Flownosaj, you are right about the military maps being red light readable. They do a trick when they print them up by using an ink that isn't a true red, but rather a mix of a bit of brown and red. The result is that the reds on the maps look red under normal light, but are also visible under a red light as well.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greg--what about the flight maps for our pilot friends? Seems to make sense to make them red light readable knowing that the pilots would need to preserve night vision in the cockpit as well...If they don't, is there any reason why?

-Jason

RadarGreg

Enlightened

I'd imagine any map that is sold as "Red Light Readable" or printed with similar wording would use the same procedure as the military maps. There is a company I believe called Jeppesen that makes pilot maps. They probably use an off-red ink so the red parts of the charts don't wash out. As a side note, if you use a blue-green filter for maps, you can end up not seeing the blue bodies of water on the military maps too. Not a pleasant thing to happen if you are near a swampy area, hehe.

Latest posts