Twisty intermitant

iaboyeah

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had the problem of running out of threads before the head contacts the negative ring? In other words not enough gap between the head and body behind the o ring? My twisty will not turn farther than barely on.

DoubleA

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone had the problem of running out of threads before the head contacts the negative ring? In other words not enough gap between the head and body behind the o ring? My twisty will not turn farther than barely on.

What light do you have? How old is it?

iaboyeah

Newly Enlightened
It is one of the mini AA, Wouldn't be under warranty as I milled the thread end of the head. Bought within the last yeah.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you milled the head (Driver+LED) unit, just mill or cut off a bit more so that you can tighten it enough.

If you milled the body (Tube), then you may as well mill down the flange in the head so it will make contact. From your description I'm not sure how you changed the metal enough to lose contact, so I am just guessing what happened.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you milled the thread end of the head, could that have changed the distance needed to screw in the body tube to turn on the light? That might account for your lack of leeway now.

Some suggestions:
1. Apply Deoxit Gold to the contact surfaces.
2. If you want more leeway, insert something into the head of the light to act as a spacer and contact preventing the body from screwing in too far. A small strip of bent aluminum should do the job. If necessary, you can anchor it with a small dab of arctic alumina or solder.

ven

Flashaholic
Does it work without O ring,if so maybe a thinner O ring or removed,i presume its not going to be submerged with the suggestion.

iaboyeah

Newly Enlightened
If you milled the head (Driver+LED) unit, just mill or cut off a bit more so that you can tighten it enough.

If you milled the body (Tube), then you may as well mill down the flange in the head so it will make contact. From your description I'm not sure how you changed the metal enough to lose contact, so I am just guessing what happened.

My ambiguity. I left the Body untouched. I believe the module probably pushed farther inside the head over time. I took just enough on the battery end of the head to connect 100% yet prevent over pressure.

I just wondered how common that problem might be.

Last edited:

iaboyeah

Newly Enlightened
Does it work without O ring,if so maybe a thinner O ring or removed,i presume its not going to be submerged with the suggestion.

The O ring is another problem with four of my twisties, real tight after idle for some time, Wondering if my silicon grease causes them to swell.

ven

Flashaholic
Maybe try cleaning up threads with an alcohol wipe,try without O ring and take from there...............just a thought thats all.

iaboyeah

Newly Enlightened
I have cleaned and lubed the threads, can't do without the ring, it turns itself on eventually, sure does work one handed with out the ring. This light is one of my backups I EDC.

ven

Flashaholic
So it works fine without the O ring?

Would it be possible to fit a thinner O ring if the case............only a thought.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see where 4 sevens has stated the o ring material.

Based on my experience with PTFE superlube (good) and the manufacturer-recommended Deoxit, and the bad results mentioned by several people with silicone lube, they are silicone O rings. Those are durable and long lasting, unless exposed to silicone grease.

Replace the O ring, wipe out your light, and use a non-silicone-based grease. That should help your swollen o ring.