Two new Stanley FAT MAX LED Spotlights out

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Two new Stanley LED Spotlights out

Hmm, ok, let me rephrase, I bet the xp-c version will have a splendidly low divergence :) Personally, I don't know anything about the surface brightness of that particular LED, but would have assumed that it would be about the same as the rest of Cree's LEDs, if not slightly higher.

I have to admit that, while I love LEDs, and they are infinitely more useful, I still have this strange fascination with lasers, specifically the precise nature of light control. Much easier to play with lenses that way.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doesn't saalbuster use xp-c emitters in his DEFT edcs (all versions)? He said that these emitters have a higher surface brightness than xr-e emitters when heavily overdriven.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Doesn't saalbuster use xp-c emitters in his DEFT edcs (all versions)? He said that these emitters have a higher surface brightness than xr-e emitters when heavily overdriven.

That may be the case... and it should be noted that my experience with it is limited to more modest drive currents in poorer performing thermal hosts (P60 pills). I have never used it in an over-driven design with copper or a heatsink designed to handle the heat. I may have given up on it a but too early...?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that he modifies the XP-C itself for better thermal performance to allow it to have the higher surface brightness that his lights produce. I could be wrong on this, though.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Deleted...double post

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a little bummed I can't find one of these in my area. (North Houston) I've been to several Wal-marts and they only carry Brinkmann or Black & Decker, no Stanley lights.

Look in the automotive section, not where all the other lights are. You may have already looked there, but I did not realize there was lights in the automotive section up until a short time ago. I do not buy too much car accessories from Walmart!

BradTheNailer

Newly Enlightened

I looked in hunting/camping, tools, and automotive. nuffin. :shakehead I'll try a couple more tomorrow.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

they are big items, so they hide them in spots if they can't fit in the usual places. I've found them in the automotive section, in the camping and outdoors by boating stuff, and you might even check the flashlights out that are usually near the hunting stuff.

Also, check each one, not just the one in front. To my own detriment I will tip you off and say that if I see something that there is only one of, I'll hide it behind a crappy light that looks the same until I can come back a few days later with moneys.

A few also had round stickers that screamed out in bold numbers their 2000 and 520 lumen claims. Heh, I was certain that I'd see a luminus big-chip of some variety in there. Still a cool light.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I checked my local WallMart and I saw at least 4~5 Stanley Spotlights, but no XM-L FatMax.

Maybe today I will have better luck.

bigC

Patriot

Flashaholic

Even a 1000L or half of claimed output seems ridiculous but it would certainly be amazing in this light at that price. I've got two Walmart's within reasonable distance so I'm heading out for a look and some lunch.....

Patriot

Flashaholic

I couldn't fine the new light at either Walmart or Lowes. Maybe next month....

BradTheNailer

Newly Enlightened

I ended up finding one at the 3rd wal-mart I visited. They had several different lights, including a compact HID light that looked impressive. As someone pointed out, they are in the automotive section (near the fuses). The warranty card for the light is addressed to a place out of Florida called Baccus Global LLC here is a URL to their Website of Stanley tools http://www.baccusglobal.com/stanley.php

edit
Got to use it tonight. It's was a little foggy because of the rains. Light throws a GREAT beam out to 100yds. It's got good spill, it lit up the whole area around my pond (about 300ft X 300ft) it's throws a good beam out to 200yds. You could still see detail in the trees. It even lit up the trees at 300yrs but my eye sight isn't what it use to be. I'm guessing with binoculars or a rifle scope, you could see things with detail out to 300 - 350 yds. This is my first LED light (except for the $1.50 harbor freight special) I'm impressed. It's exactly what I wanted in a light. It's it's just shy of a Halogen or HID brightness, but for a $50 spotlight that's less than half the weight of a big stoplight, and longer battery life, to me, it was money well spent.

Last edited:

Jay611j

Enlightened

I ran my FatMax last night until it cut off and didn't see any noticeable difference in output through the whole run. I'm really diggin this light :thumbsup:. The heatsink definitely works, the fins got really hot! Now if I can only find one more of these things, my store is clean out.

Walkerdark

Newly Enlightened

I know That I'm kind of slow :confused:, but can you leave the FatMax plugin all the time, use it fore 15-30 min. and then keep it plugin for months untill the next time you need it :thinking:?

Jay611j

Enlightened

I know That I'm kind of slow :confused:, but can you leave the FatMax plugin all the time, use it fore 15-30 min. and then keep it plugin for months untill the next time you need it :thinking:?
I wouldn't leave it plugged in since the manual doesn't state if the charge completely terminates, but there really isn't a need to keep it plugged in since it has a lithium cell which has a very low discharge rate.

1idjack

Newly Enlightened

I ran my FatMax last night until it cut off and didn't see any noticeable difference in output through the whole run. I'm really diggin this light :thumbsup:. The heatsink definitely works, the fins got really hot! Now if I can only find one more of these things, my store is clean out.
How long did it run?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw the 2000 lumen Stanley light at my local Walmart as well. Took a good look at it. Packaging claimed 72 minutes at full power. It said it ran on a 10 watt l.e.d.. It did have a Cree XM-L in it. It think it was $40. I realized pretty quickly that at best, it would put out about 1,000 lumens. Still, that's not a bad price for a bright rechargeable l.e.d. spotlight without a lead brick for a battery. 1,000 lumens would still be twice as bright as the waterproof one at Lowes for the same price. What you have to watch out for with these lights is that they often trickle charge the li-ion battery after it's charged which fries it quick. If you get these lights, just be sure to unplug them as soon as they are done charging so you don't fry the battery. I think what we have here is a permanent l.e.d. replacement for the "1 million candlepower" spotlight. While the hyped output stinks, I don't think the average consumer who buys a "million candlepower" spotlight is really going to notice.

Phil Ament

Enlightened

Hey could anyone here please tell me if they know if the new supposed 2000 lumen :crackup:Stanley FatMax Lithium spotlight's charger works on 240 volts that we have here in Australia, and even better would someone be able to give me the specs on it, the charger that is.

BVH

Flashaholic

Nope! labeled: INPUT : 120v AC 60 Hz 9W. The pin is a little unusual too. You can cut the pin, Find a 12V, 500 mAh output wall wart locally for 240V. Cut the pin off and attach to your wall wart.

Phil Ament

Enlightened

Nope! labeled: INPUT : 120v AC 60 Hz 9W. The pin is a little unusual too. You can cut the pin, Find a 12V, 500 mAh output wall wart locally for 240V. Cut the pin off and attach to your wall wart.

Thanks for the info BVH as it is much appreciated. I never imagined that someone like you would be answering a LED question like this, as I had thought that you are mainly in to the much more powerful HID lights. What the hell are you doing with something like one of these.