Two Rear LED Bike Lights - A joint CPF Review

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have liked for them to provide an easy way to mount it to the center hole on my rear carry rack. As I mentioned before, I was able to use the small mounting clippy doo-dad to fasten it to one of the posts of the rack, using the included rubber space filler pieces (and possibly, an additional one that I may have cut from something (can't remember if I did that or not!)), but now I've got a small itch to put on on the other side, and to get one of them Cateyes to replace my center blinky. Had they provided mounting hardware for use with the center hole of my rear rack, I would have been satisfied with only one Super Flash in the center, saving me money, but now....

Anyway, again, I'm really, really pleased with my Super Flash. I usually go riding late at night, like around 10 or 11pm. Tonight, for instance, I went out at 10:40pm and I was really pleased to see cars (all of them) veering into the next lane to the left of them, in order to give me plenty of space.

jeffb502

Newly Enlightened
Trashman: Might this be what you're looking for?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3108.html

$5, includes tax and shipping. I got one a while back and it's perfect. I use the superflash on the rack tab in solid mode, and 2 more on the rear rack mounted lower and to either side of the rear tire in flash mode. Here's a video of the setup (also shown: my new dinotte taillight, near the top of the left side of the rack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Psfth23Uk

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a SuperFlash on my rear rack but not in flash mode, just solid output. The LD1000 is the flasher and so is my helmet flasher.

This week I went with Sanyo Eneloop NiMH and they work very well. The light is still bright and I want to see how long the Eneloop AAA cells run. Since I run it solid red, I don't want to use lithium AAA cells since heat might be a problem. Lithiums are used exclusively in my LD1000 and helmet flashers without a problem. I'll keep you posted how long the Eneloops run, so far it has been over 3 hours on solid red with no perceivable dimming.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman: Might this be what you're looking for?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3108.html

$5, includes tax and shipping. I got one a while back and it's perfect. I use the superflash on the rack tab in solid mode, and 2 more on the rear rack mounted lower and to either side of the rear tire in flash mode. Here's a video of the setup (also shown: my new dinotte taillight, near the top of the left side of the rack).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Psfth23Uk

Thanks, Jeff, that's exactly what I was looking for. You *might* have just saved me some money. (might, that is, if I can keep myself from buying another one to balance it off, and then one of those new Cateye TL-LD1100 lights. Hmm...what to do....(*twiddles thumbs))

Edit: Whoops, too late, I accidentally just bought one of the new TL-LD1100's. There is still a chance that I can hold off and not buy another Super Flash, though. (yes, I'm feeling guilty)

Last edited:

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review. My TL-LD1000 is in its second year and I am pleased with it. As other posters have mentioned, I have also found the mode buttons to be no problem after "training" my hand, and they get plenty of runtime even on cheap NiMH AA cells.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the mounting mechanism. Besides the usual clip-mount and seatpost-mount options, the TL-LD1000 can be directly mounted to some rear racks. (It won't work on all racks, of course, since there are many standards, but it worked with no modification on mine.) Does the Super Flash have that mounting option? It is a consideration when using a taller load on the rack, which obscures the light if it's mounted on the seatpost.

Thanks,
Stephen

jeffb502

Newly Enlightened
Heh yeah that's what trashman and darell were so happy I mentioned a few posts ago. Planet Bike sells a small plastic bracket with all the necessary hardware to attach the light to a rear rack. It's on the Planet Bike website for $5 including shipping and tax.

I'm amazed that most online retailers that sell the superflash don't seem to sell this part or even let their customers know it exists. It's so much better than clipping the light to a trunk bag loop for keeping the light pointed where you want it pointed.

Darell

Flashaholic
. It's so much better than clipping the light to a trunk bag loop for keeping the light pointed where you want it pointed.
True! It keeps the light at the far end of the bike so nothing obscures it. And it doesn't matter if you have your trunk bag on the rack or not. I can't use a post-mounted light on our tandem because my daughter's seat goes below the rear wheel! this is going to be ideal (assuming it is as good as my aluminum one that I painstakingly made using a vice and a hammer!)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
assuming it is as good as my aluminum one that I painstakingly made using a vice and a hammer!

And yet you had time to pose for a picture! :D

blacksmithfy6.jpg

I dunno Darell - that looks more like a horseshoe. :thinking:

:tinfoil: john

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my TL-LD1100 arrived today. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the necessary hardware to mount it directly to my rear rack. Hopefully, Cateye sells a rack mount bracket like Planet Bike does.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planet Bike delivers fast too. I just ordered the Superflash Rack Mount late Tues Evening and it arrived today. Just in time for my bike camping trip tomorrow.

I also ordered a headlamp bracket figuring I can rig up something that holds stuff sturdier than the lockblock and yet slips right off. They have quite a few different types. I have my Stenlight S7 mounted to one that looks just like this.

Last edited:

rower1

Newly Enlightened
Anyone compared the superflash to a cateye TL -LD610? Mine are pretty bright, but wondering if it would ever be woth adding a superflash?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Cool review, Szemhazai - Looks like other blinkers are catching up to the SuperFlash. Thing is, the SuperF is a single emitter, whereas the others have to pile up with multiple LED's.

Here's an interesting little note: I was riding home the other night and I noticed another bicyclist in front of me had a SuperFlash (I could tell from the pattern of flashing). However, it didn't seem all that bright, which is what sparked my attention. After I caught up with him I noticed his SF blinker was not aligned directly backwards.

Another good argument for trying to swap the stock optic with a wide-angle one.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Here's an interesting little note: I was riding home the other night and I noticed another bicyclist in front of me had a SuperFlash (I could tell from the pattern of flashing). However, it didn't seem all that bright, which is what sparked my attention. After I caught up with him I noticed his SF blinker was not aligned directly backwards.

Another good argument for trying to swap the stock optic with a wide-angle one.

And maybe even modifying the LED in it? I'm not sure what the electronics could handle, but it'd be an interesting experiment!

Szemhazai

Enlightened
It will be much easier if you get a new model of that's blinkie...

Dear cpf'ers meet younger brother of the Smart RL-317R SuperFlash the Smart RL-318R :).
031129681or8.jpg

I'm currently trying to get it in my hands... As you can see it have easy acces to the led and optics.